Emmanuel Karmo closes recruitment. Cancels visits at other schools.

Fleck came up with the $$$.
Or you know.....maybe a local kid decided it was important to him to play for the hometown school. I know that is an outdated idea in this current sell yourself to the highest bidder landscape.

I would bet the U offered competitive compensation to what he was seeing from other places and he decided that staying home was important to him.

A new tier of recruiting for our staff imo

We’ve had profile guys commit before, and some that took visits after and stayed, but getting a guy in that echelon to drop scheduled visits deserves a lot of praise to this staff.

I was optimistic before but now I think we can say “screw you” to the rest of the B1G. RTB

Jack here. What is it that you to convey to me??
In another thread you said:
The chances he becomes a Gopher are slim and none. And slim just left town.
In response to him announcing he was going to take official visits to some other B1G schools, the fact that he has now cancelled those visits and closed his recruitment seem to say otherwise.

I'm glad he's staying with the Gophers but it seems A$$ backwards to commit and then take additional visits.
Most would agree and Karmo probably got an ear full from the people around him after he committed and then announced he was still taking visits and that probably helped lead to him cancelling those visits and ending his recruitment.

As others pointed out, if you are committed and still taking official visits then it is fair to question how committed that player really is. The fact that he has shut down his recruiting is a great sign that we will be able to hang onto him no matter who comes calling. But of course in this day and age nothing is really certain until a player signs on the dotted line. Then at least you know you have them for one season at minimum.....usually.

Good deal for the gophers. Seems like he could have some potential to be a good player for us.

Or you know.....maybe a local kid decided it was important to him to play for the hometown school. I know that is an outdated idea in this current sell yourself to the highest bidder landscape.

I would bet the U offered competitive compensation to what he was seeing from other places and he decided that staying home was important to him.
Exactly as you said, that is a somewhat outdated take after the last few years of NIL. Why would he go to the trouble of making up a graphic to tweet out his upcoming visits to the whole world, then like a day later say he’s shutting down his recruitment without taking any of those visits? What would’ve changed about his opinion of the U in one day? Shirley is visited several times and exchanged hundreds or thousands of text messages with the coaches. In one day, money is overwhelmingly likely to be the difference.

In another thread you said:

In response to him announcing he was going to take official visits to some other B1G schools, the fact that he has now cancelled those visits and closed his recruitment seem to say otherwise.
1716583309975.png

I'm surprised...and SUPER happy! Welcome to The U, Emmanuel! You are going to love being a Gopher and we are going to love rooting you on! #RTB

Most would agree and Karmo probably got an ear full from the people around him after he committed and then announced he was still taking visits and that probably helped lead to him cancelling those visits and ending his recruitment.

As others pointed out, if you are committed and still taking official visits then it is fair to question how committed that player really is. The fact that he has shut down his recruiting is a great sign that we will be able to hang onto him no matter who comes calling. But of course in this day and age nothing is really certain until a player signs on the dotted line. Then at least you know you have them for one season at minimum.....usually.
It is a long time before the early 2025 NSD. It is encouraging that P.J. Fleck is going full throttle in cultivating strong instate relationships. Homegrown talent is a key to the program's stability.

Exactly as you said, that is a somewhat outdated take after the last few years of NIL. Why would he go to the trouble of making up a graphic to tweet out his upcoming visits to the whole world, then like a day later say he’s shutting down his recruitment without taking any of those visits? What would’ve changed about his opinion of the U in one day? Shirley is visited several times and exchanged hundreds or thousands of text messages with the coaches. In one day, money is overwhelmingly likely to be the difference.
This is spot on but what we are suppose to say is that guys commit here for the love of the U and guys commit at other schools for the money. It makes some on here pretty mad if you don’t.

Top Bottom