Eleven Warriors: Big Ten Faux Media Days: PJ Fleck and Minnesota Are Up Next

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Eleven Warriors:

Johnny Ginter: "I can't make a Row The Boat joke because Minnesota won 11 damn games last year and beat Auburn in a bowl game, so instead I'm going to ask you if quarterback Tanner Morgan is capable of making a 'Heisman leap' in 2020. You lose some significant offensive weapons and most people imagine that Goldy has to take a step back this season, but is Morgan actually good enough to prevent that from happening?"

P.J. Fleck is the real deal, and I know this because literally everything about the dude is rife for parody and yet we can't say anything because his teams keep winning. Minnesota being cool and good is actually a pretty fun outcome for the Big Ten, since the Golden Gophers are in fact the Big Tenniest of teams; I just wonder if they can make the big boy move of weathering the loss of multiple offensive weapons while continuing to win.

Zack Carpenter: Coach, how did the success of this past season help elevate your program on the national recruiting scene and how does the commitment of a player like Avante Dickerson help put a spotlight on what you’ve been doing in Minnesota?

Just like our question for Pat Fitzgerald yesterday, the second part of this question involves an unsigned recruit so he can’t answer that part.

But Dickerson (No. 111 overall and No. 8 cornerback nationally) is the third-highest recruit the Gophers have landed since 2010, and he’s one who had Ohio State and LSU in his original top three before choosing Fleck’s program. I’m curious to know how he pulled in Dickerson and how much of a jumping-off point that could be in helping Fleck build respect and a reputation recruiting nationally.

I’m also wanting to know how last season truly has been able to set the path for this program in recruiting moving forward. Minnesota could soon emerge as the top contender in the Big Ten West, and that could be amplified if Fleck is able to have more success as a national recruiter in the Land of 10,000 Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

having heard the whole article, it falls in line with what other national or regional outlets are saying about the Gophers:
- lot of talent coming back on offense, but big questions about the defense.

Ultimately, it comes down to this - can the Gophers win shootouts? can they win games 40-35 instead of 24-21.

this may be heresy, but if the 2020 season is played, at least early in the season, this year's Gopher team could look more like a Glen Mason team - able to score a lot of points, but with questions on defense.
This is the year we could really find out how good Joe Rossi is as a DC.

Top Bottom