Elephant in the room? Williams Arena

Have any of you “ tear it down” folks ever been to Bourbon Street? During the day?

It’s a complete dump. Smells like stanky beer and piss. Half the buildings look like fire traps.

However, go back at night, and you can have a hell of a good time and never notice your in a shit hole.

The Barn is like that. We just need a winner to make it a Bourbon Street Night experience!
Hand out maroon and gold beads at the door.

The only complaint I have about Williams is the obstructed view seating. I'm guessing if there was a cheap solution, it would have been done already, so I can live with it.

At the very least more work has to be done to it to give it that sparkle!!

The only complaint I have about Williams is the obstructed view seating. I'm guessing if there was a cheap solution, it would have been done already, so I can live with it.
Right.

But also makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking back when they designed the place?

"Reginald, I say ... don't you think these rather large columns will get in the way of the seats positioned behind them??"

"Well what the devil do you want me to do?? Put them in the back where the wall is??!"

"I see your point!"

I'd say apples and oranges...outside vs inside, on campus vs not on campus...i see your point though.
I'm just saying for the Vikings. Everything you said in that post, could've just as easily been used as justification for why we shouldn't have built them a new stadium.

Complicates matters if a team can leave, true. But USBS is so much better, as a fan ... I just don't see the issue.

New Williams would be that level "nicer" than current Williams, for fans.

Have any of you “ tear it down” folks ever been to Bourbon Street? During the day?

It’s a complete dump. Smells like stanky beer and piss. Half the buildings look like fire traps.

However, go back at night, and you can have a hell of a good time and never notice your in a shit hole.

The Barn is like that. We just need a winner to make it a Bourbon Street Night experience!

Wait, so you're comparing the experience of an entire segment of blocks full of bars and live music venues to the experience at the Barn, but only when the barn is packed.

I'll have some of whatever drugs you are taking. Sharing is caring.

I'm just saying for the Vikings. Everything you said in that post, could've just as easily been used as justification for why we shouldn't have built them a new stadium.

Complicates matters if a team can leave, true. But USBS is so much better, as a fan ... I just don't see the issue.

I had no problem with the dome for the Vikings. I don't think they should have gotten a new stadium.

New Williams would be that level "nicer" than current Williams, for fans

Oh we're talking Vikings I was thinking Gophers moving from the dome to TCF Bank...my bad wasn't reading right.

For the gophers moving I think it was apples and oranges but yeah for the Vikings I see your point.

Don't get me wrong I'm more on the fence with keeping the barn around. Like it don't love it. But to say that's why we're not getting recruits and losing games is a bit much.

But to say that's why we're not getting recruits and losing games is a bit much.
Agree. It wouldn't hurt recruiting, of course.

NW just built a new arena (or did a major renovation). They aren't setting the Big Ten on fire. But it sure is much nicer than what they had.

I haven't been there in a few years, but my main take away when I was in pep-band was just that the inside needs a little love. Don't tear it down, don't even gut the inside. Take some time, rip out and replace all the seating, update the bathrooms and concessions, give everything a fresh coat of paint and you're golden. Keep the charm and uniqueness of the arena, while also avoiding the "wow, this could use a little love" feeling.

I believe all the locker rooms got a major overhaul right after the athletes village was completed, so nothing needs to be done there I believe.

Right.

But also makes you wonder what the hell they were thinking back when they designed the place?

"Reginald, I say ... don't you think these rather large columns will get in the way of the seats positioned behind them??"

"Well what the devil do you want me to do?? Put them in the back where the wall is??!"

"I see your point!"
Structural technology at the time didn't allow to economically design truss girders to span those distances. It is what it is and there is no way to fix it.

Nobody was saying the Metrodome was one of the best places to watch a game.

There needs to be some upgrades done at Williams arena for the fans. The idea that you can’t recruit kids there is laughable. One of the top volleyball programs in the country plays next door in the same building. They recruited the#1 ranked player in the country last year. They seem to get the Minnesota kids they want also. It’s all about the coach.

I was just wondering why there's not a thread addressing Williams. What's a good O/U number for thread pages here?

Interesting to hear Pitino interview with Barreiro today. He didn't think Williams Arena was ever an issue with recruits. Felt in his first few years the lack of a practice facility was a bigger deal. He felt it is only an issue in competing for fans with Target Center, Xcel, etc. He said upgrading for fans some might be needed, but wasn't an issue with recruits.

I agree with him on that. Visiting other arenas, that's not what is selling recruits. There aren't many that are "new" and "updated". The practice facility is where the kids spend 95% of their time, and if the arena has a great environment on gameday that's all that matters. Was a bigger deal when Williams Arena was also where the team practiced.

Nobody was saying the Metrodome was one of the best places to watch a game.
Agree. But people are saying Williams is a great place to watch a game when it's a big time game and it's packed full of people.

Like I've said, I think it's much more a discussion about fan experience than recruit or player experience, so long as they have nice locker rooms and the game atmosphere is good (lot of fans, high energy, etc.).

But that stuff does matter to, well, fans. And booster and corporate interests, on the suites/club level side.

There needs to be some upgrades done at Williams arena for the fans. The idea that you can’t recruit kids there is laughable. One of the top volleyball programs in the country plays next door in the same building. They recruited the#1 ranked player in the country last year. They seem to get the Minnesota kids they want also. It’s all about the coach.
Volleyball is not a reasonable comparison. They get 5k in the Pav, and that's one of the best crowds in the country for women's college volleyball.

A lot of even major vball programs play in the "old basketball gym" (see Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn St, etc.) and that's just fine, for the level of fans you get for that sport.

It's one of the best places in the country to play when we have a team at the top of the conference to cheer for. Nothing else like the feeling at the barn.
I couldn't agree more! The barn hands down is the best venue and the best ticket in town when we are good.

I thought the Dome sucked. USBS is one of the best in the league. Quite a difference.

USBS is way better than the dome don't get me wrong, but not once did I ever not attend a Vikings game specifically because of the Dome.

I couldn't agree more! The barn hands down is the best venue and the best ticket in town when we are good.
Purely for atmosphere, maybe. But it lacks any amenities. Parking isn't easy. Half the seats are bench seats. The obstructed views, restroom issues etc.

In the post-Covid era, it's going to be hard to compete for sports $ in MSP and the Gopher fan base that loves the Barn for nostalgia is getting older and older. They need a new venue or a major renovation in the next decade. But it's separate from the coaching change for now.

When things aren't going well on the court, Williams arena gets yelled at for its shortcomings!

Right.

"I see your point!"
Pure charm.

not once did I ever not attend a Vikings game specifically because of the Dome.
If you already have season tickets, then probably you'd still go anyways, regardless if it's old Williams or new Williams.

But new Williams could entice people who've never had season tickets, to get them.

Top Bottom