Elephant in the room? Williams Arena

4four4

Reaction score
Minnesota has done a great job up grading their facilities but Williams Arena era needs to end. Oh, sure we all love the old Barn, kids today don't have the same warm feelings. From what I have been told by my kids and their friends they want new, vibrant and exciting! I really do want to know what recruits think of the place. For me winning is more important than my nostalgia. If the winningest college hockey program in the country can move on from the old Mariucci than so can Williams Arena era end.

Winning cures all. When you have a bad program, an old arena will be viewed as a negative but when you win, it becomes a selling point like Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse and so on. The great coaches embrace their surroundings and turn perceived negatives to positives and win regardless. Does it need upgrade? Without a doubt but everything begins and ends with the on court product.

Winning cures all. When you have a bad program, an old arena will be viewed as a negative but when you win, it becomes a selling point like Cameron Indoor, Allen Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse and so on. The great coaches embrace their surroundings and turn perceived negatives to positives and win regardless. Does it need upgrade? Without a doubt but everything begins and ends with the on court product.
+1000

There are few things remarkable and thus marketable for Minnesota basketball, but one of them is Williams Arena. If you tear it down they will just prop up some cookie cutter metrodome type of building where Minnesota will just fade into the crowd in yet another aspect of its program. Fix the problems with the building but keep something that makes you unique. If they tear it down and put up just another also-ran building they will never show up on any lists like these again:

Exhibit 1
Exhibit 2
Exhibit 3
Exhibit 4

I could keep going, but I think you get the point.

Winning has to come first, there is going to be very little appetite to renovate/replace without a winning product.

Williams may be a dump but it is our dump!
It’s nostalgic and lovable!

Right, because Minnesota is so flush with cash right now and has so many donors that they will go out and build one of the biggest and best arenas in the country. /s
They won't do anything until they have the money. The facilities they have built at the University over the past 15 years are nothing short of top-shelf. Your view is outdated.

Williams may be a dump but it is our dump!
It’s nostalgic and lovable!
[Minnesotan accent] An it's a heckova lot cheaper than buildin' new! Doncha know!

I refuse to believe that there is a sizeable portion of the fan base who refuses to go to a game because of the arena. If Duke sucked for the last 20 years people would be saying the same thing about their arena. The venue isn't the problem, it is the product

Players care about the atmosphere in an arena, not how much room there is in the concourse or how modern the bathrooms are. The place is loud when it's full, and it will be full with a good product on the floor. That's all that matters.

Players care about the atmosphere in an arena, not how much room there is in the concourse or how modern the bathrooms are. The place is loud when it's full, and it will be full with a good product on the floor. That's all that matters.
This.

The experience or perceived notion that it is a "dump" is because the concourse is crowded and stanky, there are some bad views, and the bathrooms suck. These are fan issues not player issues.

A good team will put butts in seats and that place will rock during a good game/matchup.

Players care about the atmosphere in an arena, not how much room there is in the concourse or how modern the bathrooms are.
Another way of saying this is: a new arena would greatly enhance the fan experience. So, is that a worthless thing?

It's one of the best places in the country to play when we have a team at the top of the conference to cheer for. Nothing else like the feeling at the barn.

This.

The experience or perceived notion that it is a "dump" is because the concourse is crowded and stanky, there are some bad views, and the bathrooms suck. These are fan issues not player issues.

A good team will put butts in seats and that place will rock during a good game/matchup.
The same could be argued for Metrodome vs USBS ?

Williams Arena is an easy target. Team isn't winning and local talent is leaving... we have a brand new practice facility, so it can't be that. Must be the arena.

I used to be 100% never tear it down Williams Arena, now I am probably about 85% never it down.

Bottom line, there is not a better place to be when it is a big Big Ten game, Gophers are playing well, and the crowd is rocking.

I can't imagine that having modern bathrooms and larger concourses will help recruiting.

You nailed it. I couldn’t agree more. I have been to over 50 college basketball arenas and one thing that is clear to me is the new venues are for the most part not memorable. They are all so similar and hard to differentiate. My favorite arenas are the ones with some character and uniqueness Also, I feel that the noise level can get to a different gear when there is a good product on the floor at the older arenas. Some of the newer ones lack that ear splitting capability.

Have any of you “ tear it down” folks ever been to Bourbon Street? During the day?

It’s a complete dump. Smells like stanky beer and piss. Half the buildings look like fire traps.

However, go back at night, and you can have a hell of a good time and never notice your in a shit hole.

The Barn is like that. We just need a winner to make it a Bourbon Street Night experience!

Top Bottom