EDSBS: College Football Relegation

Ski U Master

Reaction score
If you are a fan of both College Football and the English Premier League this might interest you. Basically EDSBS took the English system of relegating the worst teams to the next level down and promoting the best teams from the 2nd level up to the top league and applied it to CFB. All of this is unrealistic because it doesn't take into account how recruiting would be impacted and other variables, but it's just a fun off-season excersie for entertainment purposes.

They used the Sagarin Rankings to simulate the seasons since 2005 since it's the best predictor available that goes between 1-A, 1-AA, etc. Independents were placed into conferences and each BCS conference was tied to a slot of other tiers based loosely on geography. The Big Ten is slotted with (in order) the MAC, Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley, and then various regional D2 and D3 conferences.

In a nutshell, if you are last in the B1G you go to the MAC, if you win the MAC you go to the B1G.

Here is the link to the full article and all the other conferences too: http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/17/3025448/conference-football-relegation

Here is the Big Ten throughout their simulation:

2005:
Membership: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Illinois
Promoted from MAC: Akron

2006:
Membership: Akron, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Akron
Promoted from MAC: Central Michigan

2007:
Membership: Central Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Minnesota :cry:
Promoted from MAC: Illinois

2008:
Membership: Central Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Indiana
Promoted from MAC: Ball State

2009:
Membership: Ball State, Central Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Ball State
Promoted from MAC: Minnesota :clap:

2010:
Membership: Central Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Central Michigan
Promoted from MAC: Northern Illinois

2011:
Membership: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Ntore Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
Demoted to MAC: Minnesota :cry:
Promoted from MAC: Toledo

2012:
Big Ten Members: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame*, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Toledo, Wisconsin
MAC Members: Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Indiana, Miami (Ohio), Minnesota, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Ohio, Southern Illinois, Western Michigan

England is smaller than Minnesota, so swapping teams around is a lot more feasable in England.

I guess the good thing is we never fall below Tier II (Duke falls to the A10 within two years, and Syracuse is in the Colonial by 2008). As an EPL and Gopher fan, I love the concept (even though as has been pointed out, it makes no sense other than for fantasy purposes)

I like a post like this.

I bet you if this stuff were to really happen, Brewster would have been fired his first year.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

If this were to happen, it would radically restructure college sports. Right now, it's a pyramid. There are the 11 FBS conferences, 6 of which are the BCS conferences. There are 14 FCS conferences, 24 D-II conferences, and close to 48 D-III conferences. Add in the NAIA conferences, and that's well over 100 conferences.

If we had this system, it would be like a pillar rather than a pryamid. The 6 BCS conferences would be paired with the 6 non-BCS conferences (One of the FCS conferences would have to be promoted for this to happen), and they in turn would be paired with 6 conferences, and so on. So rather then the divisions we have, we would have over 15 divisions. And this would require more reconstruction as conferences began to make less and less geographical sense: the MIAC would begin to look pretty strange after a while.

You could do this on the level of a state (Minnesota is larger than England, as I pointed out earlier), You could have teams demoted from the NSIC to the MIAC and from the MIAC to the UMAC. At any broader level it would be unworkable. The article claimed that JUCOs would benefit, as colleges that got promoted would look to the JUCOs to fill their ranks. I don't think so. If this were implemented, players would be allowed to transfer when their school is demoted. That's where schools would go, they would pick the bones of the teams that got sent down.

This is the best idea I have heard of since Social Security came into effect.

Gotta love it. We'd probably have a brand new stadium with 5,000 fans to watch the Minnesota-Eastern Michigan tilt.

Top Bottom