Editorial: A troubling pattern of misconduct at U

gopher1956

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting editioral in the StarTribune on Sunday.

It does point out that Brewster has not be strong in dealing with athletes that get in trouble. Some good points.

Athletes need to face real consequences for misdeeds.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/...:UthPacyPE7iUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

No Minnesotan should be surprised by the off-the-field screw-ups that have made this an especially embarrassing period for the University of Minnesota's Athletic Department. Deeply disappointed, yes, but not surprised. As long as the university's coaches take chances recruiting at-risk student-athletes in an effort to win at almost any cost, police and lawyers will make frequent visits to campus.

And if the athletes most likely to offend in the future see that the most serious punishment handed out in these cases amounts to a few missed games and extra wind sprints, the out-of-control culture will flourish. Unfortunately, the initial disciplinary response to the latest batch of troubles does not inspire confidence that coaches and Athletic Department officials will come down hard enough on troublemakers to get the attention of the rest of their players.

"It seems to snowball,'' Athletic Director Joel Maturi told the Star Tribune last week. "When you have so many instances at one time, you wonder, what's going on at the asylum?'' That's the right question, but it's one the athletic director and his multimillion-dollar coaches should be answering, not asking.

For his part, football coach Tim Brewster boldly confronted last week's arrest of top freshman Michael Carter and said the promising defensive back would play against Illinois. Come again? It would seem an arrest for underage drinking and obstruction of the legal process -- an officer had to point a taser gun at Carter when he resisted -- might lead to a suspension. Instead, Brewster said the matter would be handled "internally,'' which may be code for those wind sprints. And Maturi, despite being concerned about snowballs at the asylum, was supportive and said the department is looking for consistency in handling such incidents. "Sometimes the sanctions are obvious (and) become public," he said. "At this moment (not suspending Carter) is OK with me. We'll continue to make sure we do the appropriate thing." We're guessing that slapping wrists, however consistently, won't bring much improvement.

The men's basketball program is doing its part. Royce White, Minnesota's Mr. Basketball and, despite academic problems in high school, the cornerstone recruit in coach Tubby Smith's incoming class, was arrested Oct. 13 for shoplifting and fifth-degree assault at Macy's in the Mall of America. An unlucky Macy's security guard tried to handcuff the 6-8, 240-pound power forward after he tried to steal about $100 worth of merchandise, according to the police report. White, who shoved the guard to the ground a couple of times before reinforcements arrived, received a one-year trespass notice from the megamall, but he may not be banished for long from Williams Arena.

Smith said White and senior guard Devron Bostick were suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules, but he would not elaborate. The punishment? A suspension ranging from two to 20 games, according to the less-than-transparent head coach. Given the apparent priorities at the U these days, the odds seem good that White will appear on the court long before the team opens Big Ten play on Dec. 29.

Meanwhile, the busy Maturi announced that transfer basketball player Trevor Mbakwe will not be allowed to play until his legal problems are cleared up. Mbakwe is facing a felony assault charge for allegedly punching a woman in the face in Miami in April, although his attorney argues that he was mistakenly identified.

Some fans argue that the number of academic and disciplinary cases at the U is typical of many major college programs. In fact, the White arrest brought to mind the case of Diamond Taylor, a prized University of Wisconsin freshman basketball player who, along with teammate Jeremy Glover, was arrested this fall after stealing iPods, a cell phone and $400 from campus residences.

But unlike Minnesota, Wisconsin immediately turns such cases over to a disciplinary committee, taking the punishment decisions out of the hands of win-hungry coaches. Both Taylor and Glover were immediately kicked off the team after their arrests, and the committee denied Glover's appeal last week. Taylor, who got a strong signal that he was no longer wanted in Madison, quickly moved on to Southern Illiniois University. The message to Wisconsin athletes: If you screw up off the court or field, expect serious consequences.

University President Robert Bruininks needs to send a strong signal of his own to Maturi and his coaches. The long list of academic issues, NCAA violations and criminal cases at the U is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

For his part, football coach Tim Brewster boldly confronted last week's arrest of top freshman Michael Carter and said the promising defensive back would play against Illinois. Come again? It would seem an arrest for underage drinking and obstruction of the legal process -- an officer had to point a taser gun at Carter when he resisted -- might lead to a suspension. Instead, Brewster said the matter would be handled "internally,'' which may be code for those wind sprints. And Maturi, despite being concerned about snowballs at the asylum, was supportive and said the department is looking for consistency in handling such incidents. "Sometimes the sanctions are obvious (and) become public," he said. "At this moment (not suspending Carter) is OK with me. We'll continue to make sure we do the appropriate thing." We're guessing that slapping wrists, however consistently, won't bring much improvement.

The men's basketball program is doing its part. Royce White, Minnesota's Mr. Basketball and, despite academic problems in high school, the cornerstone recruit in coach Tubby Smith's incoming class, was arrested Oct. 13 for shoplifting and fifth-degree assault at Macy's in the Mall of America. An unlucky Macy's security guard tried to handcuff the 6-8, 240-pound power forward after he tried to steal about $100 worth of merchandise, according to the police report. White, who shoved the guard to the ground a couple of times before reinforcements arrived, received a one-year trespass notice from the megamall, but he may not be banished for long from Williams Arena.

Smith said White and senior guard Devron Bostick were suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules, but he would not elaborate. The punishment? A suspension ranging from two to 20 games, according to the less-than-transparent head coach. Given the apparent priorities at the U these days, the odds seem good that White will appear on the court long before the team opens Big Ten play on Dec. 29.

Meanwhile, the busy Maturi announced that transfer basketball player Trevor Mbakwe will not be allowed to play until his legal problems are cleared up. Mbakwe is facing a felony assault charge for allegedly punching a woman in the face in Miami in April, although his attorney argues that he was mistakenly identified.

Some fans argue that the number of academic and disciplinary cases at the U is typical of many major college programs. In fact, the White arrest brought to mind the case of Diamond Taylor, a prized University of Wisconsin freshman basketball player who, along with teammate Jeremy Glover, was arrested this fall after stealing iPods, a cell phone and $400 from campus residences

But unlike Minnesota, Wisconsin immediately turns such cases over to a disciplinary committee, taking the punishment decisions out of the hands of win-hungry coaches. Both Taylor and Glover were immediately kicked off the team after their arrests, and the committee denied Glover's appeal last week. Taylor, who got a strong signal that he was no longer wanted in Madison, quickly moved on to Southern Illiniois University. The message to Wisconsin athletes: If you screw up off the court or field, expect serious consequences.

University President Robert Bruininks needs to send a strong signal of his own to Maturi and his coaches. The long list of academic issues, NCAA violations and criminal cases at the U is unacceptable and should not be tolerated.

Apparently this was composed before the fb coaching incident added fuel to the fire.

Big tests ahead for Joel M and his coaches...the media is getting stoked up with these incidents ...they know that given past violation snafus that this is exactly the type of problem the Minny public wants to see nipped in the bud. Pronto.

This is going to be a rocky period for the AD.

I love the hypocracy in Minnesota. We accept the crime that comes with low income families from other states collecting assistance in MN and refugees from other countries that live in MN but we want a zero tolerance policy when it comes to academically or socially troubled kids that are given the opportunity to earn a degree at our University when they screw up.

Stevedave, you are really reaching with that analogy. The STRIB editorial is right on the money. It should be about maintaining standards at the premier institution of higher learning in Minnesota. Wisconsin and Illinois are both higher rated academically than the U and they both recently kicked players off their teams when they were caught stealing. The U should do the same with Royce White - but I have no faith that they will. Maturi and Bruininks apparently don't have the guts to stand up to Tubby and risk making him mad.

I love the hypocracy in Minnesota. We accept the crime that comes with low income families from other states collecting assistance in MN and refugees from other countries that live in MN but we want a zero tolerance policy when it comes to academically or socially troubled kids that are given the opportunity to earn a degree at our University when they screw up.
In what way do we "accept the crime" that comes from those groups? It's not as if they're free from prosecution.

Or persecution for that matter.

Stevedave makes a good point. U athletes are in the crosshairs of the media. Little in depth reporting goes on regarding other criminal behavior in the TC area. Not to be an apologist for the wrongful and very stupid conduct by a few athletes, but this occurs on most other B10 campuses. Iowa probably leads the league in arrests for all sorts of behavioral issues. Even PSU and JoPa have had their problems. I don't think that anyone is saying that these issues should be swept under the rug and they were not. The penalty must be proportionate to the misconduct. One needs to understand all the facts and circumstances to make that call. I understand that some feel that the penalty was insufficient. There is always room for disagreement on these decisions. But the fact remains that the media is overly fascinated with the shortcomings of a few high profile athletes. Its an easy story. Its not so easy to dig into why there is so much crime in certain TC communities.

If the STRIB is going to make comparisons to how Wisconsin handles issues then its only fair they look at more than just one incident. I seem to recall multiple recent incidents that happened at Wisky where the punishment was less than what would be considered strict.

The only way this ridiculous 'analogy' makes sense is if you see a pattern (or even a single example of) an 'out-of-state-low-income' person that is receiving preferential treatment or lighter punishment than 'in-state-higher-income' people. I challenge you to show me a single documented example of that.

For every low-income minority immigrant getting arrested for shop-lifting or getting drunk and up in a cops face I can show you ten examples of suburban white kids getting warned and taken home to mommy and daddy.

The only way this ridiculous 'analogy' makes sense is if you see a pattern (or even a single example of) an 'out-of-state-low-income' person that is receiving preferential treatment or lighter punishment than 'in-state-higher-income' people. I challenge you to show me a single documented example of that.

For every low-income minority immigrant getting arrested for shop-lifting or getting drunk and up in a cops face I can show you ten examples of suburban white kids getting warned and taken home to mommy and daddy.[/QUOTE]

You would have to close St. Cloud State, Mankato and Augsburg if every drinker who "got in a cop's face" was suspended from school. :banghead:

Anybody notice that Alex Daniels has started 8 games for Cincinnati? Or LaGarrette Blount is reinstated? Why do the Gophers have to be angels?

Anybody notice that Alex Daniels has started 8 games for Cincinnati? Or LaGarrette Blount is reinstated? Why do the Gophers have to be angels?

And for that matter, why do athletes have to be better than everyone else? (Ok, maybe because they're in the public eye/reflect badly on the school?)

When I was at the U, I knew a guy in a similar situation. He was on scholarship (academic), got drunk underage and was stopped by the police. While he didn't get charged with obstructing justice, he definitely could have (he gave a little backtalk, refused to listen to the officer, resisted being touched/searched, etc). A taser wasn't drawn and very limited force was used, but the officers were both bigger than this kid, which may have had something to do with it.
He was well enough off that, had his scholly been revoked, he could have stayed at the U.

Fortunately, he just got a night in jail and a ticket. Without knowing specifics of the actual situation, I'd say that's exactly what should happen to a football player in the same circumstance, with maybe some wind sprints or a game or two on the bench thrown in if it's a bigger deal. But to kick a kid out, especially one for whom this may be an 'only chance' kind of situation, for getting drunk and being a bit of an idiot? Seems excessive. Same with shoplifting...you have to acknowledge a difference between breaking into and stealing from a dorm room, and shoplifting from a department store (which I and many of my peers did in our younger, stupider days). Fighting with a security guard is a different matter, though...not sure how serious that was.

why do athletes have to be better than everyone else?

2867253326_792146d6e7.jpg

...but if you are, then the answer is quite simple. We pay for their education. The public has every right to hold athletes to a higher standard because of that.

As Red said, we also pay for the kid with the academic scholarship. So they can get into the same trouble and not be punished by the school?

As Red said, we also pay for the kid with the academic scholarship. So they can get into the same trouble and not be punished by the school?

How do you know if they do or don't? We would never hear about it either way.

exactly. the media and many of those who find it way too easy to agree with their point of view in this poorly researched and written editorial (i.e. nothing but the opinion of a bunch of press box snipers) are hypocrites.

this is the minneapolis/st. paul media picking on an easy target just so they can publish a lazy story to appease the u of m bashers out there.

Thanks for clarifying for me. Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at.

I have no problem holding kids with scholarships to a higher standard, I just think we sometimes go overboard when high-profile athletes do the same stupid things that every other college kid is doing (drinking, fighting, smoking pot, etc). And while we're on the topic, to be perfectly honest, I think there's a racial aspect to it as well. When my friends got in fights or got caught with weed, they we're 'stupid kids' or maybe just 'idiots'. But when black athletes do it, they're 'thugs.'
...I think I already regret playing this card. But hopefully people take it as it was intended, and not calling everyone who wants football players to behave themselves racist.

Thanks for clarifying for me. Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at.

I have no problem holding kids with scholarships to a higher standard, I just think we sometimes go overboard when high-profile athletes do the same stupid things that every other college kid is doing (drinking, fighting, smoking pot, etc). And while we're on the topic, to be perfectly honest, I think there's a racial aspect to it as well. When my friends got in fights or got caught with weed, they we're 'stupid kids' or maybe just 'idiots'. But when black athletes do it, they're 'thugs.'
...I think I already regret playing this card. But hopefully people take it as it was intended, and not calling everyone who wants football players to behave themselves racist.

You have a seriously deluded view of today's youth if you think that fighting with police officers, swinging pieces of lumber, stealing merchandise, etc. are things that "every other college kid is doing".

But you're right on the 2nd part - there is absolutely a racial component to it. It's just like how if a guy is promiscuous, he's a "stud". But if a girl is, she's a "slut". If a white guy gets into trouble, he "made a stupid mistake". But if a minority does, he's a "thug".

You have a seriously deluded view of today's youth if you think that fighting with police officers, swinging pieces of lumber, stealing merchandise, etc. are things that "every other college kid is doing".

EVERY kid may have been an exaggeration, but I and multiple fine, upstanding adult friends of mine stole merchandise in college (generally smaller-ticket items, though). And I've seen multiple fights where one person threatened another with a baseball bat/stick.
Fighting with cops is a different story. That goes beyond stupid to...well, REALLY stupid.

We pay for their education. The public has every right to hold athletes to a higher standard because of that.

No we don't. Common misconception. All men's athletic scholarships at the U of M are funded 100% from private donations (The Williams Fund).

No we don't. Common misconception. All men's athletic scholarships at the U of M are funded 100% from private donations (The Williams Fund).

Yes, but the funds are given to players who attend the University of Minnesota, which public money founded and maintains. So even if the actual money for the scholarships comes from private donations, the University is a public institution. The private money wouldn't come in if not for the public institution that houses and maintains the football program. So yes, indirectly, we do.

And you don't see any danger of fewer private donations if people get disgusted by University athletes getting into trouble? Yes, the media is going to unfairly sensationalize and pontificate; that's what they do. Wanting to shoot the messenger isn't going to change coverage. Having fewer incidents will. Don't know how you actually do that if you're in the U's position while striving to have top level football and basketball programs.

GopherHolers have to realize we're in a distinct minority. There's a great big world out there, and most of the people in it would laugh at the notion that University athletes are treated unfairly or just because you or someone you know shoplifted or got into a scuffle, it's excusable. Many of those people are alumni and supporters of the University so, yes, it's important what they think.

I also don't like the racial aspect of this. I very rarely do it, but I looked at the comment section of Fuller's story in the Pioneer Press after the Royce White incident. The racism was just disgusting and I couldn't believe the paper was letting those comments be posted. To be clear, those sick people should have no effect on how the University or the players act. I'm just mentioning it because I had no idea the racism was that blatant. Probably a very small percentage, but it's sad.

We should athletes to higher standards

I know many students that go to the u of m - attend classes get good grades and never get into fights or get arrested for shop lifting. Football palyers and other athletes need to to be better than the average hard working student and not participate in criminal ativity. The bottom line is that we the tax payers are paying for these guys to attend school for 4 or 5 years, which is valued at over $100,000. If they get in trouble they should be suspended and kicked out of school. You gopherholers that condone this bad behavior are part of the problem.

ding, ding, ding! some of you who constantly throw out the: "well we fund their athletic scholarships with our tax dollars, so we have ever right to hold them to a higher standard" lie/b.s. need to check yourselves and get over it.

as stevedave23 said their scholarships are funded by boosters. if there really were an issue then the boosters would let maturi, smith and brewster know how to proceed. so, you and your "precious" tax dollars (which are NOT funding anyon'e athletic scholarship btw) can be safe in knowing that! :rolleyes:

I know many students that go to the u of m - attend classes get good grades and never get into fights or get arrested for shop lifting. Football palyers and other athletes need to to be better than the average hard working student and not participate in criminal ativity. The bottom line is that we the tax payers are paying for these guys to attend school for 4 or 5 years, which is valued at over $100,000. If they get in trouble they should be suspended and kicked out of school. You gopherholers that condone this bad behavior are part of the problem.

again, no you/we are not paying for them to go to school for 4/5 years. men's athletic scholarships are funded by gophers athletic boosters, not by you mr. joe taxpayer who thinks he needs to be furious about something when he doesn't even have the facts straight.

Yes, but the funds are given to players who attend the University of Minnesota, which public money founded and maintains. So even if the actual money for the scholarships comes from private donations, the University is a public institution. The private money wouldn't come in if not for the public institution that houses and maintains the football program. So yes, indirectly, we do.

I sort of see your point.

Our tax dollars do fund the buildings and other parts of the university itself.

I just want to be clear that our tax dollars DO NOT pay for their scholarships.

Your are Wrong

WE the tax payers - pay for the buidings, the professors, the NEW stadium, and for most of the tuition. You know it alls that condone crimal activity inorder to have a "winning" program are a bunch of losers without a life. Get real.

So, you or the students you know never slipped a candy bar in your pocket at the Harvard Market? Or got someone with a fake ID to buy you six pack of Premium at Campus Liquors? Or, hell, even had a buddy stick a bottle of Jack Daniels under his shirt and run out of the store? Did you ever get into a fight? Smoke a joint on the grass in front of Northrup? Run from the cops when they busted up a house party?
Kids get in trouble. Of course, we'd rather they not get caught...but to be perfectly honest, I'd be pretty embarrassed if no one on our team at least broke some minor laws in school.

Also, as was recently established in these posts, evidently we the taxpayers do NOT pay these kids tuition.

You condone Crime

Nice one - Sure it is fine to steal, start fights, fight with cops. Anything to have a "winning" progarm.

And you don't see any danger of fewer private donations if people get disgusted by University athletes getting into trouble? Yes, the media is going to unfairly sensationalize and pontificate; that's what they do. Wanting to shoot the messenger isn't going to change coverage. Having fewer incidents will. Don't know how you actually do that if you're in the U's position while striving to have top level football and basketball programs.

GopherHolers have to realize we're in a distinct minority. There's a great big world out there, and most of the people in it would laugh at the notion that University athletes are treated unfairly or just because you or someone you know shoplifted or got into a scuffle, it's excusable. Many of those people are alumni and supporters of the University so, yes, it's important what they think.

I also don't like the racial aspect of this. I very rarely do it, but I looked at the comment section of Fuller's story in the Pioneer Press after the Royce White incident. The racism was just disgusting and I couldn't believe the paper was letting those comments be posted. To be clear, those sick people should have no effect on how the University or the players act. I'm just mentioning it because I had no idea the racism was that blatant. Probably a very small percentage, but it's sad.

although i know you like to "believe" you are correct when it comes to just about everything (that is certainly a trait that comes with age....you remind me of my 60 yr old father!) chances are that this "type" of alumni/supporter you just described is not even a u of m athletics booster in the first place.

so while it is important to have a positive image in the eyes of the public as much as possible (even if you are being unfairly targeted by the mpls star tribune editorial staff/writers) i am not as worried as you may be when it comes to what some loud-mouthed, like to hear themselves bitch, non-boosters (especially if they are not even u of m alumni) think about a few isolated incidents.

WE the tax payers - pay for the buidings, the professors, the NEW stadium, and for most of the tuition. You know it alls that condone crimal activity inorder to have a "winning" program are a bunch of losers without a life. Get real.

wow! really? i can spin it any way i want too, but it still doesn't change the fact that you and me (as mn taxpayers) are NOT paying for any men's athletic scholarships/tuition. but, you keep right on believing whatever you want to bub if it helps you sleep better at night. hope you have a great evening! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom