Eden Prairie Coach

It was unacceptable and not mainstream or common through music from 1970 to at least 90s rap and the word never disappeared. What slur has actually ever disappeared? This is very delusional. This thread isn’t even about a white person wanting to use it. It is about a white person actually using it in front of black players & coaches. If it wasn’t something they shouldn’t be offended by then why the most of the players and all of the black coaches quit. There is no reason a white person should use the word. I can’t believe this thread is this long because people are upset that someone faced consequences for using the word. I’m black & don’t use the word. I also know better than use terms or slurs that would be offensive in other groups because I wouldn’t want to face consequences or offend anyone. If I slipped up, I know I would face similar repercussions as Flom.
What’s delusional is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results. Sadly that’s where we are at right now.

Edit: I’ll also add that if that word wasn’t so common place in certain cultures the coach likely wouldn’t have used it at all. I think there is a lesson in that.

Last edited:

Serious questions -

Why do you care?
How does this specially impact you life?
Because dividing people by race, and then making rules by race, justifies the mentality of the segregated South, and a lot of people don't want that to flourish. Try this:

This is the model you are justifying being used:
If you are _____ you cannot ______, but if you are ______ you can.

Now let's fill in the blanks in order with these words:
1) white, say word X, black
2) black, drink from this fountain, white

Number two was brought to us by the segregated South, but notice 1 is the exact same model. If you rationalize one, you can rationalize two. I hate the model and will never back it. How does it affect my life? I don't want to live in a segregated society and will fight against it. Why do you want to live in a segregated society?

Last edited:

He couldn’t have made the point without using the word? If he said N Word instead saying the actual word, wouldn’t he have made the same point
What’s weird is if you say “n word” everyone knows what the word referred to actually is. It’s playing in our heads when that expression is used. The most offensive use, IMHO, is when a person is called that offensive name. I think things would improve if ALL races stopped using it. It should disappear. Otherwise, it appears to be a power game with one group reveling over the fact that they can use it while the other group can’t.

Finally read all the posts. I think I'll stay out of this one. Having said that, I've never used the word, and will never use it as I know it a very derogatory term. Just because a black person uses it at times when they feel it is appropriate, it doesn't give me the right to use it.

If you are a man you cannot have a baby, but if you are a woman you can.

Because dividing people by race, and then making rules by race, justifies the mentality of the segregated South, and a lot of people don't want that to flourish. Try this:
Jump to conclusions much kiddo.
This is the model you are justifying being used:
If you are _____ you cannot ______, but if you are ______ you can.

He complained about an elongated thread because of the nonsensical conversation about whom can and cannot use the word.

My questions were why does he care or how does it personally matter to him m which groups can or cannot use the word. Get it?

Now let's fill in the blanks in order with these words:
1) white, say word X, black
2) black, drink from this fountain, white

Number two was brought to us by the segregated South, but notice 1 is the exact same model. If you rationalize one, you can rationalize two. I hate the model and will never back it. How does it affect my life? I don't want to live in a segregated society and will fight against it.
Maybe consider volunteering, donating or running for office to make some type of tangible changes in people’s lives, vs. trying to condemn others on an anonymous chat board 🤣 without knowing them, giving them the benefit of the doubt or being enough of a considerate & caring person to ask questions before pronouncing judgement.
Why do you want to live in a segregated society?
I live in NYC, see the moniker gives it away 🤦‍♂️. Why would I choose to move here, if I had those issues (never met a NY born/bred Gopher fan, personally) - this is called deductive logic.

So I live in the melting pot of this country and none of my friends are small town white boys from West Central MN, like myself. Oh and my fiancé is an African woman from Tanzania 🇹🇿, so I’m the farthest thing from your ignorant and uninformed post.

Last edited:

It was unacceptable and not mainstream or common through music from 1970 to at least 90s rap and the word never disappeared. What slur has actually ever disappeared? This is very delusional. This thread isn’t even about a white person wanting to use it. It is about a white person actually using it in front of black players & coaches. If it wasn’t something they shouldn’t be offended by then why the most of the players and all of the black coaches quit. There is no reason a white person should use the word. I can’t believe this thread is this long because people are upset that someone faced consequences for using the word. I’m black & don’t use the word. I also know better than use terms or slurs that would be offensive in other groups because I wouldn’t want to face consequences or offend anyone. If I slipped up, I know I would face similar repercussions as Flom.
I don't mean to put you on the spot to be a representative of your whole race, but...

I mentioned many posts ago that in the documentary Last Chance U about the JUCO basketball team at East LA, the term is tossed around casually, frequently, and mostly without anger - not really a term of endearment, but kind of how a white person might use "dude". It's jarring to me as a white person, but no one in the series ever mentions having an issue with anyone using it. No one is remotely bothered. It seems normalized in that context.

This still doesn't give me the right to ever use it, and I wouldn't. But I also don't think I should be judging black people who use it among themselves as doing anything wrong.

Just curious to hear your thoughts on this.

ETA: the whole team is black with 2/3 black coaches. The white coach never used the word

I don't mean to put you on the spot to be a representative of your whole race, but...

I mentioned many posts ago that in the documentary Last Chance U about the JUCO basketball team at East LA, the term is tossed around casually, frequently, and mostly without anger - not really a term of endearment, but kind of how a white person might use "dude". It's jarring to me as a white person, but no one in the series ever mentions having an issue with anyone using it. No one is remotely bothered. It seems normalized in that context.

This still doesn't give me the right to ever use it, and I wouldn't. But I also don't think I should be judging black people who use it among themselves as doing anything wrong.

ETA: the whole team is black with 2/3 black coaches. The white coach never used the word
I mean I have family members who use it in a similar fashion. I have no issue with it. Some black people have chose to embrace the word because it was use so long in a derogatory way that they feel like they are taking the power back. I don’t use it because I don’t want others to use it around me.

What’s delusional is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results. Sadly that’s where we are at right now.

Edit: I’ll also add that if that word wasn’t so common place in certain cultures the coach likely wouldn’t have used it at all. I think there is a lesson in that.
It was a white coach who tweeted it. He read a tweet from a WHITE coach. Why are we blaming black people using the word amongst each other for a mistake that someone has admitted that he made. He also has multiple resources that he could have asked before even reading the tweet. He has 2 black assistants who were both caught by surprise and have quit since he has been reinstated. I don’t get why people are more upset about black people using the word than they are about the actual coach who admitted he was wrong using the word

It was a white coach who tweeted it. He read a tweet from a WHITE coach. Why are we blaming black people using the word amongst each other for a mistake that someone has admitted that he made. He also has multiple resources that he could have asked before even reading the tweet. He has 2 black assistants who were both caught by surprise and have quit since he has been reinstated. I don’t get why people are more upset about black people using the word than they are about the actual coach who admitted he was wrong using the word
I was pretty clear in my comment why. Apparently you just aren’t going to understand it ever.

I was pretty clear in my comment why. Apparently you just aren’t going to understand it ever
so it being common place in the African American community is what made this happen even though the tweets he read were actual racist comments from a white coach. The tweets that he read used the N word with an er at the end. Explain to me how that makes sense.

The articles in the Strib make it clear that it was the players that elected to not play, not the coaches or administrators, but the adults are supporting their choice. I don’t know if that changes anything, but it seems worth pointing out.

Second, this is so tough for a white coach. I mean, it’s a pretty simple rule to not use the n-word, period, full stop. But, watch any episode of Last Chance U basketball and you’ll hear the n-word from the players in regular conversation. I saw an episode where they got a visit from an NBA coach - who is black - and he used the n-word multiple times when addressing the players. If you’re a white coach, you cannot speak in your players’ language, and that’s a bit problematic.

Your players won't understand your English if you don't use the N-word?

So you properly applied context to their use of the word but disregard all context with any white person's use of the word. I'm not saying you're wrong but realize that you're doing this for only one word.

The context of Flom is him quoting someone and the context of the Florida football player was singing a song. So we've all agreed that it wasn't with anger.

Most of us who grew up in the 90's / 2000's sang along to incredibly offensive chauvinist lyrics, lyrics about murdering people, etc. We don't look back at people who sang along to Warren G's regulate like "holy crap, they were talking about murdering people". When the song was played on the radio, they would bleep out the N word when describing murdering someone on the sidewalk (later versions then bleeped out the line "16 in the clip in one in the hole", so references to guns were bad but not that actual murder).

There are likely very few scenarios where white people say the "n word" and shouldn't be absolutely dragged but things have gotten crazy. It's so crazy that Tony Romo is now getting blasted for not saying the word but "we know he meant to".

This isn't to you, but forcing people to apologize to move on with their life doesn't mean they should have been punished in the first place. They have forced to kiss the ring but lunatics and there is no hope or need to die on this hill.

Finally read all the posts. I think I'll stay out of this one. Having said that, I've never used the word, and will never use it as I know it a very derogatory term. Just because a black person uses it at times when they feel it is appropriate, it doesn't give me the right to use it.
As long as you are just talking about decisions you are making for yourself, no one would disagree with you.

I’m really impressed that some white folks are arguing about the use of a word that was used as a slur. Almost like some got mad when the word got taken away from them in their preferred context. Most cases just upset about the loss of power (If we can’t use the word in our context, then no one can in any context).
Again for myself it’s pretty easy to just not use the word or have the want to use the word. I also could not care less if the group whom it was used to oppress uses it for themselves. Not much different than the North adopting the word Yankee, but it’s different when a southerner uses it. Lot less oppression and hurt, but similar logic.

It's bizarre how many white people get mad that "they can't say it".

That's not the case at all. They can go ahead and say it all they want. It's not against the law. But don't whine and cry when everyone around you realizes that you are a piece of shit. Even if you don't use the word in a derogatory sense....you know that it is offensive to some people....but you do it anyways because you are a piece of shit.

Good stuff in here. You wanna see bonker posts? Head into the off topic ukraine thread.

I don't think it's so much that white people want to use the word as it is they realize how ridiculous it is for black people to use it. Nowhere is the N-word more prevelant than the music industry. An industry that promotes violence, drugs, and demeaning women. The black community has bigger issues than a white coach using the word, but it's easier to virtue signal and pile on him than actually look at the real problems.

I’ve never called any of my teammates by the following words:

Whitey
Gringo
Howlie

So I don’t get the whole use of the “word which shall not be said” inside the black community.

It’s also funny that I, one of the whitest people on earth, have been called an “N” by one of my teammates for making consecutive three pointers.

It’s a funny world, a teacher should know better.

Your players won't understand your English if you don't use the N-word?
I understand how you got there, and that may have been poor writing on my part.

In the documentary I was watching, Clippers coach Tyronn Lue (a black man) visited the JUCO basketball team and threw around the term while addressing them. He was connecteing with the players with the type of language they use with each other. That doesn't make him a better coach, per se, but it does seem like it's an advantage vs. a white coach. Do not take that as me advocating that white coaches should be able to use the term - I'm just describing the difference.

so it being common place in the African American community is what made this happen even though the tweets he read were actual racist comments from a white coach. The tweets that he read used the N word with an er at the end. Explain to me how that makes sense.
It’s delusional to think that it wouldn’t be less likely to be used if it wasn’t commonplace in the African American community. I highly doubt many if anyone would still feel the need to use the word if it wasn’t acceptable for Afirican Americans to use it in their own community.

So you properly applied context to their use of the word but disregard all context with any white person's use of the word. I'm not saying you're wrong but realize that you're doing this for only one word.

The context of Flom is him quoting someone and the context of the Florida football player was singing a song. So we've all agreed that it wasn't with anger.

Most of us who grew up in the 90's / 2000's sang along to incredibly offensive chauvinist lyrics, lyrics about murdering people, etc. We don't look back at people who sang along to Warren G's regulate like "holy crap, they were talking about murdering people". When the song was played on the radio, they would bleep out the N word when describing murdering someone on the sidewalk (later versions then bleeped out the line "16 in the clip in one in the hole", so references to guns were bad but not that actual murder).

There are likely very few scenarios where white people say the "n word" and shouldn't be absolutely dragged but things have gotten crazy. It's so crazy that Tony Romo is now getting blasted for not saying the word but "we know he meant to".

This isn't to you, but forcing people to apologize to move on with their life doesn't mean they should have been punished in the first place. They have forced to kiss the ring but lunatics and there is no hope or need to die on this hill.
I didn't mean to disregard a white person's use - I thought we had established that it shouldn't ever be used. And yes, it's this one word in this case, but there are other slurs for other groups that might be ok within their community but not outside (particularly thinking about words related to sexual and gender identity). As you said many posts ago, there is nuance in the world and yes, different standards for different people. I think Flom really should have known better, but everyone should be given the opportunity to make a mistake and learn from it. Lord knows I used some language in my youth that would be considered hurtful today, and I stopped doing it. It's the people that fail to address or even acknowledge their transgressions that are problematic.

It’s delusional to think that it wouldn’t be less likely to be used if it wasn’t commonplace in the African American community. I highly doubt many if anyone would still feel the need to use the word if it wasn’t acceptable for Afirican Americans to use it in their own community.
This is nonsense. It's incredible that you believe this. How often have you been around African American people to know how commonplace it is? Also, I grew up in a majority-white town and was called the N-word way more growing up than when I moved to the cities with more people of color. You must be a troll or sincerely naive to think this is true. There are still white people in many places that never stop using the word as it was initially intended. It is incredible that you believe this when the tweet he was reading wasn't even used in a similar context to how African Americans use it. It was literally a tweet about not going to Chicago because too many n-words (er) were there

Put even more generally: if it’s banned for a subset, then it should be banned for all.

I see no valid argument to the contrary. Just arbitrary hand-waiving.
Unfortunately, you don't get to make the rules. Why do you care if the group it was targeted at reclaims the word?

This is nonsense. It's incredible that you believe this. How often have you been around African American people to know how commonplace it is? Also, I grew up in a majority-white town and was called the N-word way more growing up than when I moved to the cities with more people of color. You must be a troll or sincerely naive to think this is true. There are still white people in many places that never stop using the word as it was initially intended. It is incredible that you believe this when the tweet he was reading wasn't even used in a similar context to how African Americans use it. It was literally a tweet about not going to Chicago because too many n-words (er) were there
A black person tweeted not to go to Chicago?

I understand how you got there, and that may have been poor writing on my part.

In the documentary I was watching, Clippers coach Tyronn Lue (a black man) visited the JUCO basketball team and threw around the term while addressing them. He was connecteing with the players with the type of language they use with each other. That doesn't make him a better coach, per se, but it does seem like it's an advantage vs. a white coach. Do not take that as me advocating that white coaches should be able to use the term - I'm just describing the difference.

There are far more white coaches in the NBA and the NCAA than there are black coaches. Any white coach (at any level) thinking that they need to use the N-word in order to communicate effectively with their black players should be fired for being a moron.

Top Bottom