Eddie Cole: Playing college football in 2020 would continue to devalue Black lives

Sounds like something a plantation owner would've said a few hundred years ago, in regards to the idea that black people are "actually humans, just like you and me".
You are just being ridiculous now.

Hyperbole used effectively for clicks. Author can't possible believe this drivel. By that same standard NBA is devaluing black lives as well. With ZERO cases and options for sitting out.

Can someone tell me what doesn’t devalue black lives. Let’s start there. Seems like anything anyone does is a slight against black lives.

Gopher Nation for ALL!

Can someone tell me what doesn’t devalue black lives. Let’s start there. Seems like anything anyone does is a slight against black lives.

Gopher Nation for ALL!
What does devalue mean?

Let’s have a culture wars, hyperpartisan fueled argument over that first.

What does devalue mean?

Let’s have a culture wars, hyperpartisan fueled argument over that first.
I'm sure we're going to agree to disagree, which is fine. Besides, it's looking more and more like a moot point.

For me saying black students' lives are being devalued means that the decision is being made knowing it will disproportionately affect BIPOC people and making the decision anyway because you value their lives less than white people. In other words, race is a factor in the decision. Or that white students are being given some advantage in this arrangement that BIPOC students will not get.

Two other items. First, if the point is to say an unintended side effect of this policy is that the people who may suffer from this are predominantly BIPOC, then what do all the intentionally racist actions universities took in the past have to do with it? Bringing those up implies it is yet another intentional slight by the universities, which I don't believe for a second. Instead, the author should have pointed out policies where unintended consequences disproportionately affected BIPOC students.

Second, if less than half the students were BIPOC and the same decisions were made, would it devalue their lives? What about less than 10%? What if there were only 2?

In the end, the question comes up - should a different decision be made simply because more students are BIPOC? If the answer is no, then it's not fair to say BIPOC lives are being devalued.

Well, they called your bluff. Beware what you ask for, sometimes.

I don't think the majority of football players, all three divisions, are black. It may be 50/50 in Division I, but basically's it's not a black/white thing, it's a public health issue. It will be strange to see some teams playing a spring schedule and the Power Five not. They could fit in a 10-game schedule in March-May - I wish they would.

If the season is cancelled will the players be safer (from Covid) than if they practice and played games? Most players (and coaches)have responded absolutely not. So I say, let’s play.

To me what devalues Black lives are two things.
One is the Black on Black slaughter taking place in all of our cities.
The second is looting and arson as supposed BLM protests.

To me what devalues Black lives are two things.
One is the Black on Black slaughter taking place in all of our cities.
The second is looting and arson as supposed BLM protests.
Careful now. That doesn’t fit the narrative.

...or, people could stop seeing every flippin' thing in the world through the lens of RACE. Would that be too much to ask? Good flippin' gosh. One rarely sees such absurdity on a worldwide level.

...or, people could stop seeing every flippin' thing in the world through the lens of RACE. Would that be too much to ask? Good flippin' gosh. One rarely sees such absurdity on a worldwide level.
clearly you are a racist.

did i do it right?

Tired this crap. Maybe what the colleges should do, since 13% of the U.S. population is black, then limit the scholarships to 13%. Then everyone can be happy.

This ranks up there with the dumbest threads of all time on Gopher Hole. And that is saying something.
White person calls it “dumb” to discuss issues related to black people.

Some things never change. Sadly

Gopher Nation for ALL!

I think mjfelton15 found a new username

Top Bottom