Ed Olsen

RaT

Reaction score
During Brew's segment w/ Reusse, coach specifically mentioned Ed Olsen's name as a lineman who he is expecting big things from come next fall. Mentioned that he is now up to 295 lbs. and standing at 6'7''.

Does anyone know what position they are planning for him? Originally I thought of him as a Guard, but with that size it leads me to think Tackle.

During Brew's segment w/ Reusse, coach specifically mentioned Ed Olsen's name as a lineman who he is expecting big things from come next fall. Mentioned that he is now up to 295 lbs. and standing at 6'7''.

Does anyone know what position they are planning for him? Originally I thought of him as a Guard, but with that size it leads me to think Tackle.

I think he'll be competing for LG, just my theory: Carufel and Wills are probably set, Olsen and Michel are not centers so that's out. I would think Alford and Bunders are the most likely to be beat out. Michel is a tackle, Olsen will probably be a guard. I'm excited to see how well he can move, we really could use a more athletic type guard who can pull, trap, and get to the second level of blocking.

I think he'll be competing for LG, just my theory: Carufel and Wills are probably set, Olsen and Michel are not centers so that's out. I would think Alford and Bunders are the most likely to be beat out. Michel is a tackle, Olsen will probably be a guard. I'm excited to see how well he can move, we really could use a more athletic type guard who can pull, trap, and get to the second level of blocking.

I'd love to be able to see some more quick pulling to seal ends or get to outside linebackers. I think he should be tested against our athletic lb's as far as being able to get into position to block.

I'd love to be able to see some more quick pulling to seal ends or get to outside linebackers. I think he should be tested against our athletic lb's as far as being able to get into position to block.

I'm sure Bunders is a good enough guy, but he was a step slow on several key blocks that would have sprung big gains. Usually on toss plays, but also traps and combo blocks. On top of that he had trouble recovering and blocking stunts inside, improvement is drastically needed at LG. Whether it's him or Olsen.

So are people actually thinking that Michel and Olsen could start next year?

If so, what would that actually do to our hopes for next year's offensive efficiency?

Never a good thing to start two freshman on the O-Line, in my opinion.

If so, what would that actually do to our hopes for next year's offensive efficiency?

Very true it's never good to start freshmen, but our offensive line has been atrocious the last 2 years, and the freshmen we started in 08 haven't developed into unquestioned starters like we all hoped back then after being fed to the fire. I expect 1 of Michel or Olsen will start, hopefully the depth and second full year with Coach Davis will improve the quality of the linemen through competition. There's never a better way to light a fire under a Junior or Senior than give a freshmen a shot at starting over them.

I have seen Olsen a few times recently, and honestly, he is an absolute beast and boasts all of the personal qualities that made his dad captain in the early 80's. He is going to be a very, very good player over-all for this program and a great leader.

Does anyone know what they are thinking they are going to do with Gjere?

I assume and hope that they redshirt him; but what position do you all think he would play?

He played a lot of RG in the Army All American game. Lemming seems to think that he is an ideal RT. What do you all think?

OL

Here is the OL I expect to start.

LT Alford
LG Olsen
C Wynn
RG Carufel
RT Wills

Michel, Mottla, Gjere could be in play in 2011.

Here is the OL I expect to start.

LT Alford
LG Olsen
C Wynn
RG Carufel
RT Wills

Michel, Mottla, Gjere could be in play in 2011.

Agree on depth chart, the competition for center should be interesting Burris, Davis, Wynn who knows.

Olsen??

I have heard froma couple of people that Olsen wants to play center just like his dad. However with his size I can't see how that is possible??

I've said it many times in other threads, but Michel and Olson both dominated last year but didn't play in favor of a RS. They are likely locks in their positions. It's also been talked about that Olson may switch to RT, but that's iffy. Yes, they are freshmen, but 1) the starters last year were terrible, and 2) these guys are very talented. Also, Wynn is pretty much a lock at center, so the real '?' is who is going to compete with Carufel and Wills.

I am still concerned Wynn's back will hold up, so I'm really interested in the center battle. I had guessed that both sides of the right line will be replaced, but was it just the combination of the right side that could be improved if they are broken up and olsen put in between. That might be interesting.

Playing freshmen: "Never" is too strong a term, as it usually is. RS Frosh are not true Frosh, big difference in many cases. Besides, if a guy is ready he's ready. If he's not he's not. It is what it is and isn't what it isn't. It's a good day for good people and a bad day for better people. Only time will tell, but I can't tell time. Tomorrow never comes.

I've said it many times in other threads, but Michel and Olson both dominated last year but didn't play in favor of a RS. They are likely locks in their positions. It's also been talked about that Olson may switch to RT, but that's iffy. Yes, they are freshmen, but 1) the starters last year were terrible, and 2) these guys are very talented. Also, Wynn is pretty much a lock at center, so the real '?' is who is going to compete with Carufel and Wills.

Interesting, and good to hear that there is legit talent with Olson and Michel, not just a lack of it in the classes above. Also interesting on Wynn, he certainly fits better at C than RT, back injuries are tough, but if he's the starter I would think Burris and Davis are at least quality backups.

I agree with a previous poster that said he was worried that the reason Olson and Michel are being mentioned is the lack of talent from holdover players. So if indeed these guys are as good as some think, I will be a very happy man. We need a good line. That has to be a staple for Minnesota football.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Olson starts as a true Freshman in 2011.

A 6'7 OG is going to be pretty tough to throw over. I hope we have a lot of roll-outs if Olson is a starting guard.

All yr long we watch other teams seal the run against us and that included SD. We gotta get better/quicker.

I'd be very surprised to see any of these freshmen start this year. If they do we'll be looking at the last part of the season.

Interesting, and good to hear that there is legit talent with Olson and Michel, not just a lack of it in the classes above. Also interesting on Wynn, he certainly fits better at C than RT, back injuries are tough, but if he's the starter I would think Burris and Davis are at least quality backups.
I agree with a previous poster that said he was worried that the reason Olson and Michel are being mentioned is the lack of talent from holdover players. So if indeed these guys are as good as some think, I will be a very happy man. We need a good line. That has to be a staple for Minnesota football.
If I recall correctly, the coaches said something along the lines of 'their technique is outstanding, they just need a year to bulk up.' Thus the red-shirting.

Playing freshmen: "Never" is too strong a term, as it usually is. RS Frosh are not true Frosh, big difference in many cases. Besides, if a guy is ready he's ready. If he's not he's not. It is what it is and isn't what it isn't. It's a good day for good people and a bad day for better people. Only time will tell, but I can't tell time. Tomorrow never comes.

I'm surprised that so many people question whether RS freshmen linemen could/should start. The reports suggest that Olsen and Michel were the best players at their spots last year but took RS years in order to build up the frame to play O-line in the Big Ten. RS freshmen frequently start and contribute at a high level at all positions. It's that RS year that allows those guys the training regimen and diet to build Big Ten size physiques and stamina.

And while I respect Schnoodler's posts I would respectfully suggest that he is demonstrably wrong when it comes to the performance of freshmen on the field. Every year lots of true freshmen RBs come in and start/contribute immediately, (just off the top of my head last year LaMichael James and Dion Lewis were two of the best backs in the country) but back when RBs were discussed on this board previously Schnoodler was involved in this exchange

AhliBobwa --'Running Back is not really a position where a guy suddenly figures things out and blossoms into a stellar player. While that is true when it comes to pass blocking, carrying out fakes, etc, running ability shows itself early. It's one of those positions where either a guy has it, or he doesn't.'

Schnoodler--'I think you might be wrong about this. Even Maroney and MBIII had to learn patience. The best of the best, yeah maybe. But if we have to rely on that once in a lifetime back to win we're in trouble.I think you'll find that the Seniors put up better numbers than juniors and so on.'

Zeppelin Gopher--Disagree. MBIII and LM were absolute studs from the moment they walked on campus. RB is mainly an instinctive position. You can't learn burst, vision, balance etc. Either you got it or you don't.
Unfortunately for us, our current backs don't.'

I know his linemen used to be smaller and quicker, but even so Mason once started two TRUE freshmen on the line in the same year and both were solid from day one (Eslinger and Setterstrom). I think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the O-line play in 2010. And Schnoodler, I respect your posts I'm just pretty sure you're wrong here.

Actually, quite a few teams started freshman (red-shirt and true freshman) last year. So, while it might not be desirable, it is definitely not a complete rarity.

Wisconsin: OG, Kevin Zeitler, Fr., RS
OG, Travis Frederick, Fr., HS

Iowa: OG, Riley Reiff, Fr., RS

Northwestern: OT, Neal Deiters, Fr., RS

Illinois: OG, Tyler Sands, Fr., HS
OT, Hugh Thornton, Fr., HS

Indiana: C, Will Matte, Fr., RS

It my not be a good thing, but I remember it working out pretty well with Eslinger and Setterstrom.

I'd be very surprised to see any of these freshmen start this year. If they do we'll be looking at the last part of the season.

Okay, I can buy this. Now, the question is whether frosh start later in the year because it takes them that long to be ready or because the natural process says the veterans get their opportunity before being replaced as starters. And as I've mentioned several times over the past couple of months, starting does not mean owning the position, at least not in the sense it did when I was a youngster.

Top Bottom