Ed Hightower...

andy

Reaction score
... is a god-awful referee.

thoughts?

How much does Ed Hightower hate MN?

How many bad calls did he make against us tonight...I counted 5 so far...plus about 5 missed calls against MI.

Austin Hollins had 3 of his 5 fouls that weren't even close!

This was a hose job. Austin's 4th and 5th fouls KILLED us down the stretch, a neither was even close to a legitimate call.

He doesnt hate us. He just happens to be a terrible official who people for some reason still hire based on reputation built in the 90s

You are correct. Pretty bad for a few years now. I'm surprised he still gets big games.

Ed sucked, but is was the other doosh who called the phantom on Hollins.

I'd agree to start 0-1 in the B1G every season in exchange for no games reffed by Ed Freakin Hightower.

No doubt Hightower is a poor official. But I think a lot of it comes from having an ego the size of the planet earth. I could live with a few bad calls because they happen in every game. But Hightower seems to relish the chance for attention that reffing allows him and he takes every opportunity to make sure everyone knows he's doing the game people are watching.

Austin Hollins has to feel like he got bent over by the Eddie Hightower tonight......

4th and 5th fouls tonight on Austin WERE ABSOLUTE F'IN JOKES!!!! His 4th foul (the charge) was a block in every conceivable way....not only was Novak in the "restricted" area but he slid under Hollins well after he had left his feet. Instead of 2 ft's (which I think would have put us up 7) he picks up his 4th foul and has to sit. He was hot from 3 at this point as well.

As for bis 4th foul.....I don't know what to say....he's got inside position...there's little if no contact and he gets the foul. Instead of Gopher ball out of bounds with fresh shot clock, Hollins is out of the game.

Eddie H. blows.

I think Hightower is in some trouble across the board w/his officiating this season & tourney. If anything good comes of this season it may be the sun setting on his career.

Ed is death. I said just those words right before the game started.

The key to the loss was Austin getting his 4th and then his 5th. Plain as that.

A lot of the time, your only hope with Hightower is that his predilection for making terrible calls will swing the other way and hit the other team for a spell. That didn't happen tonight.

Obviously, there were still opportunities for the Gophs to win the game on our own terms, but E-Z Ed didn't do us any favors.

Hightower was not the major issue tonight. It was Terry Oglesby. He was horrible. He was responsible for Hollins' 5th foul. He had the terrible call against Andre Ingram. Some awful no calls, as well. He was the side guy who should have been able to come in and indicate that Novak's foot was in the circle. Instead, he made about 3 pro-Michigan calls to every call that went MN's way. I'd like to go back and watch and track Oglesby's calls. Awful.

You just need to know how to handle Ed and everything will turn out fine. At least that's what the Becky Boys say.

Ed+Hightower+Ohio+State+v+Wisconsin+nu5pWPEfHs7l.jpg

Attachments

• Ed+Hightower+Ohio+State+v+Wisconsin+nu5pWPEfHs7l.jpg
    Ed+Hightower+Ohio+State+v+Wisconsin+nu5pWPEfHs7l.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5

I think he lost his ability to make calls at the same time he lost his hair at the turn of the century. He's had a rug for about 12 years.

Beilein was working the refs (Oglesby in particular) pretty hard - and it looked to me like it paid off. It is a shame, but it is part of the game.

It would not surprise me to one day learn that these refs were instructed/bribed to make sure Michigan won. You never, ever see calls like the ones made on Austin Hollins. What was taking place on that court yesterday with those refs was remarkably unusual. It started from the beginning of the game and did not stop. Even the announcers were confused by the calls. With all the fraud, corruption, scandals, etc. that have taken place in our country in general, and in sports in particular, I'm always impressed how people rarely if ever mention this kind of possibility. I say "impressed" cause it shows me how "good" and reasonable and positive most people really are. I'm jaded.

tubby throws his arms up... other big10 coaches bark... tubby needs to bark and horse-trade ("thats two you owe us" )... arms up is an insult to the refs.

i've said on this board many times that we need to learn the art of foul-drawing.. and when to use it.
some games, like yesterday, a dude runs past EE at the FT and falls down.. foul. EE cant believe it. then austin gets called after hardaway jumps away from the rim with back arched, arms up, and wailing... austin cant believe it.. etc.. we need to do the same thing. we will all end up in basketball hell for turning a great game into euro-soccer, but if wisky and michigan, and frazier from penn state, etc get all these calls, we need to learn this art also..

like fall down while dribbling the ball when there is minimal contact on the perimeter.. that is aways called no matter how little contact there is. jordan taylor/frazier will wail like their legs were shot off... but they bounce right back up and make both FTs.

all this needs to be practiced... so it doesn't look fake..

then depending on the reffing crew, decide which act to engage.

the 'beilein system' is not cutting/screening/shooting... its acting.

Top Bottom