Eating our opponents - Maryland Edition

RodentRampage

Reaction score
Because it amuses me to do so, I've decided to do a series of posts on eating our opponents.

HannibalLecter.jpg

No, not like that!

More like this:

Heinz TS.jpg

Here's an interesting article about how the craze for turtle soup nearly wiped out terrapins. Turtle soup used to be food that only the poor ate, and then it became popular with the wealthy. https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/07/18/742326830/our-taste-for-turtle-soup-nearly-wiped-out-terrapins-then-prohibition-saved-them

Well, we don't want the Terrapins to go extinct, so here's a recipe for Mock Turtle soup:

https://www.louisianacookin.com/treme-mock-turtle-soup/

Ingredients
¾ cup unsalted butter
6 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ pounds ground sirloin
1 (15-ounce) can tomato purée
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
½ cup all-purpose flour mixed with 1 cup water
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 bay leaves
1½ teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
6 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
½ cup sherry
Garnish: lemon slices

Instructions
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add celery, onion, and garlic, and cook until just softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sirloin, and cook until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to an 8-quart 
slow cooker.
To slow cooker, add tomato purée, broths, flour mixture, Worcestershire, ketchup, hot sauce, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook over low heat for 
4 hours.
Add lemon juice, and cook 30 minutes. Remove bay laves, and stir in parsley, eggs, and sherry. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired. Serve immediately.

I lke your thought process. Eating your opponents. Could be a great theme going forward. But how can anyone make badger taste good? They don't even look good. We'll have to work on it.
Gophers eat corn, we can train gophers to eat turtle. After that we have 2 weeks to train them to eat lion.

I lke your thought process. Eating your opponents. Could be a great theme going forward. But how can anyone make badger taste good? They don't even look good. We'll have to work on it.
Gophers eat corn, we can train gophers to eat turtle. After that we have 2 weeks to train them to eat lion.

I'll find us some Badger recipes when the time comes. At least there are no teams on the schedule whose mascot is an abstract concept. It's a bit harder to cook that up.

I'll find us some Badger recipes when the time comes. At least there are no teams on the schedule whose mascot is an abstract concept. It's a bit harder to cook that up.

Together this site has like 100s of years of college education...... We can come up with something for everyone. I really like the theme of eating your opponent though.

Top Bottom