East-West Divisions coming in 2014

Someday in the future, the old Big Ten will be a division in the new Big Ten.

I really like this split ! Keeps our rival games in tact and closer rivals!

Everything is the way it should be now....except for Rutgers and Maryland being part of this.

The West definitely will be the softer division. Nebraska has to be licking their chops, especially as Wisconsin settles in with a new coach.

It's OFFICIAL AD's approved new divisions starting in 2014 and new 9 game conference schedule that starts in 2016.. sweet..

east- indiana,maryland, michigan, michigan st, rutgers, ohio st and penn st

west- purdue, illionis, wis, iowa, minnesota, nebraska and northwestern

Very exciting for minnesota

In 2016 the east will get 5 home games on even years and the west will get 5 home games on odd years.

All the east teams are in eastern time zone and the west division teams are in the central time zone except purdue.

Purdue and indiana is the only protected cross over game.

In 2016 the east will get 5 home games on even years and the west will get 5 home games on odd years.
Looks like Miami (OH) is coming off the schedule in 2016. Hopefully the buyout is small. We currently have four OOC games scheduled, and if we only have 4 conference home games in 2016 I'm sure they will do everything they can to keep the three OOC home games.

That will likely also throw a wrench in the Oregon State series for 2017 and 2018. Perhaps they can convince Oregon State to switch the home-away years, although my guess is that with 9 Big Ten games Kill will probably try to push to never play a BCS opponent in the non-conference again.

Found this interesting.

"In the first 18 years, you're going to see a lot of competition between teams at the top of either division," Delany said. "We call that a bit of parity-based scheduling, so you'll see Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa playing a lot of competition against Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan. But it will rotate. Early on, we feel this gives the fans what they want."

That will likely also throw a wrench in the Oregon State series for 2017 and 2018. Perhaps they can convince Oregon State to switch the home-away years, although my guess is that with 9 Big Ten games Kill will probably try to push to never play a BCS opponent in the non-conference again.

Per the ESPN blog, it sounds like the AD's agreed to always schedule at least one high level (read: old BCS) opponent and no FCS teams moving forward:

The league's athletic directors and presidents also approved a scheduling model that includes at least one team from a major FBS conference per year and no FCS teams. Delany hopes the model will be in place league-wide by 2016.

Per the ESPN blog, it sounds like the AD's agreed to always schedule at least one high level (read: old BCS) opponent and no FCS teams moving forward:
I saw that too, but wonder if there will be any enforcement mechanism. I agree with the no FCS deal (honestly there's so little to gain and almost everything to lose), but I'm certainly interested to see how well the supposedly mandatory BCS opponents goes over (or if they interpret teams like Air Force as "high level")

If we switch to a 9-game Big Ten schedule and have a BCS opponent every year, plus no FCS, then making a bowl game might actually start to mean something. As a fan I'm on board, I'm just curious what the coaches at the smaller schools like ours think about it.

I'm very pleased with the East/West alignment. However, the non-conference schedule should be left to each school. Programs are in different places in terms of their strength. If you're a powerhouse, then you should feel free to schedule the other helmet schools. On the other hand, struggling teams should be able to schedule weaker non-conference opponents if they choose. This will be especially true with nine conference games. These "weaker" schools cannot afford to enter the B1G schedule beat up and lacking depth. That said, it's TV greed that is probably driving the decision making on this one.

Found this interesting.

"In the first 18 years, you're going to see a lot of competition between teams at the top of either division," Delany said. "We call that a bit of parity-based scheduling, so you'll see Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa playing a lot of competition against Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan. But it will rotate. Early on, we feel this gives the fans what they want."

Me too. Although I don't understand the significance of the first 18 years. If the are on a rotation then I don't get how they could weight more than the first several years.

Me too. Although I don't understand the significance of the first 18 years. If the are on a rotation then I don't get how they could weight more than the first several years.

Not to mention the possibility that more teams are added to the conference and they have to adjust divisions and schedules again.

Teams with less depth need weaker non-c schedules.

It's not only about getting wins at the start of the year.

It's about fielding a team at the end of the year.

The more games in a season, the worse for us.

Few seem to grasp this.

I would be thrilled with a nine game schedule, no FCS games, and a 10th game against a major conference every year. It sounds like B1G teams will actually need to earn spots in bowl games. That would require a record of at least 4-6 against major conference teams to have a chance, which would force you to be competitive.

I hear what Studwell is saying, but I would rather us need to play up to a tougher schedule than hope that the scheduling rules continue to play down to us. If, after 2016, we never play New Hampshire, New Mexico State, or any team with "Dakota" in there name, I can die a happy man.

New Mexico State is Division I-A. We will be seeing them again, I'm sure.

Thanks for catching that one Dpod. My knowledge of the mid-major conferences is pretty light, so I didn't realize that they were WAC. Still stand by hoping to not see FCS on our schedule ever again.

Thanks for catching that one Dpod. My knowledge of the mid-major conferences is pretty light, so I didn't realize that they were WAC. Still stand by hoping to not see FCS on our schedule ever again.
I don't understand my fellow gopherholers at all here. We don't want to play the tougher competition, but we don't want to play the supposedly easier FCS competition. Who do you want to play????? I want to play a Dakota and Michigan every year. Entice recruits with traveling to the horseshoe and happy valley twice, not Purdue and Northwestern.

AO54 said:
I don't understand my fellow gopherholers at all here. We don't want to play the tougher competition, but we don't want to play the supposedly easier FCS competition. Who do you want to play????? I want to play a Dakota and Michigan every year. Entice recruits with traveling to the horseshoe and happy valley twice, not Purdue and Northwestern.

Playing in a Big Ten Championship Game will entice recruits. I'll take whatever gives us a better chance to get there and being in the opposite division of OSU and Mich is it.

Playing in a Big Ten Championship Game will entice recruits. I'll take whatever gives us a better chance to get there and being in the opposite division of OSU and Mich is it.
It's a neutral site game. Just not the same. Can't recruit to something you haven't been to. If we're good enough to play them in the big ten title game, we're good enough to play them during the regular season.

Most will not agree with this but I want one last crack at NDSU Sioux

I would like to play the NDSU Buffaloes one last time and be done with it altogether. Would be nice to play
them with a legitimate Big 10 roster full of scholarship players and depth without injury's . Then we would see how long they really could hang. One last game would shut there pie holes.

Minnesota will thrive in B1G West Realignment

I know this a rehash of an old topic, but I can't help myself. Jerry Kill must be very pleased with the new look B1G West! With three helmet schools in the East, you have to feel sorry for MSU and Indiana.

I have to say the Gophers have been presented a GOLDEN opportunity to really build the program up!

I really like how the scheduling turned out:

Football - 2014 Schedule

Date Opponent Location Time (CST)
Thurs, Aug 28 Eastern Illinois TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Middle Tennessee State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 13 at TCU Fort Worth, Texas TBA
Sat, Sep 20 San Jose State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 27 at Michigan * Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA
Sat, Oct 11 Northwestern *^ TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Purdue *^ TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 25 at Illinois *^ Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Iowa *^ TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Ohio State * TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 22 at Nebraska *^ Lincoln, Neb. TBA
Sat, Nov 29 at Wisconsin *^ Madison, Wis. TBA
* Conference Games
^ West Division Games

Football - 2015 Schedule

Thurs, Sep 03 TCU TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 12 at Colorado State Fort Collins, Colo. TBA
Sat, Sep 19 Kent State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 26 Ohio TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 3 at Northwestern Evanston, Ill. TBA
Sat, Oct 10 at Purdue West Lafayette, Ind. TBA
Sat, Oct 17 Nebraska TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 31 Michigan TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 7 at Ohio State Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat, Nov 14 at Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat, Nov 21 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 28 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium TBA
* Conference Games

Football - 2016 Schedule

Sat, Sep 03 New Mexico State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 10 Indiana State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 24 Colorado State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 1 at Penn State University Park, Pa. TBA
Sat, Oct 8 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 15 at Maryland College Park, Md. TBA
Sat, Oct 22 Rutgers TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 29 at Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 5 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 12 at Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. TBA
Sat, Nov 19 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 26 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis. TBA
* Conference Games

Football - 2017 Schedule

Sat, Sep 09 Oregon State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 16 Middle Tennessee State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 30 Maryland TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 7 at Purdue West Lafayette, Ind. TBA
Sat, Oct 14 Michigan State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 21 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 28 at Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat, Nov 4 at Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich. TBA
Sat, Nov 11 Nebraska TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 18 at Northwestern Evanston, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 25 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium TBA
* Conference Games

Football - 2018 Schedule

Sat, Sep 08 at Oregon State Corvallis, Ore. TBA
Sat, Sep 29 at Maryland College Park, Md. TBA
Sat, Oct 06 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 13 at Ohio State Columbus, Ohio TBA
Sat, Oct 20 at Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. TBA
Sat, Oct 27 Indiana TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 3 at Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 10 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 17 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 24 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis. TBA
* Conference Games

Football - 2019 Schedule

Thurs., Aug. 29 South Dakota State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 07 at Miami (Ohio) Oxford, Ohio TBA
Sat, Sep 28 at Purdue West Lafayette, Ind. TBA
Sat, Oct 05 Illinois TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 12 Nebraska TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 19 at Rutgers New Brunswick, N.J. TBA
Sat, Oct 26 Maryland TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 09 Penn State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 16 at Iowa Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat, Nov 23 at Northwestern Evanston, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 30 Wisconsin TCF Bank Stadium TBA
* Conference Games

We better take major advantage of the 2016 and 2019 schedules. Obviously any team like Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, etc could have built up something good, and PSU may be back by 2016... but avoiding MSU, OSU, and Michigan is a HUGE recipe for success...

In 2016 AND 2019
Iowa plays PSU & Michigan
Wisconsin plays Mich, MSU, OSU (!!)
Nebraska plays OSU

That bodes well for in-conference losses for our division opponents. If we take care of business and beat 2 out of Neb/IA/Wisc in those years, we have a really good shot at something special..

EDIT: Of course, what's most likely to happen is we add 2 more teams within the next couple years and everything gets re-shuffled AGAIN...

Top Bottom