East River Flats

GopherGustie

Reaction score
Is the East River Flats lot/park open for tailgating this year like in years past?

where is this interesting place located? below the Weismann or a little upriver from there?

Lots of fun, there was plenty of room last Saturday. Can't beat it for 10 bucks. Be warned. It's a lengthy climb up the steps. My daughter counted 174 on the way up.

I've never seen a shuttle and I was there almost every week last year. We did head up to the lots by the stadium about 1.5 hours before kickoff so maybe that's why. It's a short walk to the stadium though and you can avoid the stairs by walking up the rather steep hill on east river road.

I parked there Saturday as well.. no shuttle, but wouldn't have taken a shuttle anyway with the weather we had. Tons of room.

Which walk from the River Flats has the best atmosphere?

1) Up the stairs, East on Fulton, North on Oak?
2) Up the stairs, East on Fulton, North on Harvard, cut through McNamara?
3) Something else?

Which walk from the River Flats has the best atmosphere?

1) Up the stairs, East on Fulton, North on Oak?
2) Up the stairs, East on Fulton, North on Harvard, cut through McNamara?
3) Something else?

I like Harvard, Washington, and cutting through the alumni center area.

When on Harvard you can see people crossing on Washington headed to the game and people driving past you on the way to the Wash Ave ramp. Then on Washington people are outside at Applebess on your left and Sally's on the right. Then you can walk through past all the people grabbing a drink outside of McNamara. There have been a few times walking through McNamara where I've ran into people I know and grabbed a quick beer or two, having not even known before hand that they were going to be at the game. (Can always take a little detour and make a quick stop at Sturbs on this route too!)

You can also enter the E River Rd Ramp on level D (this is a contract entry/departure gate for the ramp). This entry is straight out from the road that enters the flats. Walk straight into the ramp and you will see the elevator. Take the elevator up to the plaza level. When you get off of the elevator, exit the door and you will be in back of Coffman Union. Walk into the back side of Coffman and take the escalator up to the 2nd floor and exit on the front of Coffman Union. You are now on Washington Avenue.
I hope this helps!

Lots of fun, there was plenty of room last Saturday. Can't beat it for 10 bucks. Be warned. It's a lengthy climb up the steps. My daughter counted 174 on the way up.
Go up the shorter set of steps (towards the driveway) go through the parking garage and take the elevator up to the second level, cut through Coffman (go up the escalator) and you end up on Washington. Much easier than taking the stairs. I made the mistake of going up the big staircase once, never again! It's hard enough going down those stairs.

Love parking at the River Flats. Lots of room but, it does fill up closer to game time. I'll be there by 7:00 set up and ready with a bloody in my hand!

Go Gophers!

You can also enter the E River Rd Ramp on level D (this is a contract entry/departure gate for the ramp). This entry is straight out from the road that enters the flats. Walk straight into the ramp and you will see the elevator. Take the elevator up to the plaza level. When you get off of the elevator, exit the door and you will be in back of Coffman Union. Walk into the back side of Coffman and take the escalator up to the 2nd floor and exit on the front of Coffman Union. You are now on Washington Avenue.
I hope this helps!

Ha! I guess great minds think alike!

^ Nice! I'll have to tell my dad this trick. It's the best kept secret in tailgating though. Good spots and cheap.

I mean, who doesn't want to go up these stairs after a dozen beers?

I dominate them as my excitement for the game has usually hit a fever pitch by that point. Plus, by the time you get to the top you're ready for another beer

Go up the shorter set of steps (towards the driveway) go through the parking garage and take the elevator up to the second level, cut through Coffman (go up the escalator) and you end up on Washington. Much easier than taking the stairs. I made the mistake of going up the big staircase once, never again! It's hard enough going down those stairs.

Love parking at the River Flats. Lots of room but, it does fill up closer to game time. I'll be there by 7:00 set up and ready with a bloody in my hand!

Go Gophers!
OK, so when you first enter the lot, there's usually a guy at the top with a flag. He waves you down to the dude with the Chevy truck where you pay. Where are the second set of steps in relation to where you pay? Or do you just walk all the way up the road to get to the ramp?

The shorter set of stairs is by where the parking spaces start. After you pay the guy and keep going straight they will be on your left at the bottom of the driveway. You can also walk back up the driveway. I hope this makes sense!

Looks like our little secret is out. There were more cars parked there today then I have seen before a game. Good thing I get there before the sun comes up!

Does anyone have any news on the gentleman that was taken off by ambulance? This happened pretty close to our group, looked like he tripped and fell hard to the ground and had a neck or back injury. Too bad, having fun before the game and then that happened and he missed a great game. Have been thinking about him, hope he's OK.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but does anyone know if this parking area is still available? Also, is it available for Vikings games as well?

For those who fear the steps, you can always take the elevator in the parking garage and cut through coffman. I bought tickets to the wisco game this year and plan on tailgating here with my old timer parents. Taking the elevator through coffman is the ideal situation since they probably dont want to walk up 174 steps.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but does anyone know if this parking area is still available? Also, is it available for Vikings games as well?
Yes and Yes. Been there for Vikings and gopher game,

FYI saw the cuties in the photo jog through the lot twice before the TCU game.Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom