Early Names from Tom Dienhart

Gregg Brandon: Following is a snipet from an email exchange between Brandon and a BGSU fan,

Grant Cummings is the proprietor of the Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba message board and sent this e-mail to Coach Brandon following comments about the “pitiful” crowd:

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]

Dear Coach Brandon,

“That crowd was pitiful and I’m so disappointed. The fans that showed up, that’s awesome because they’re the true fans. Our kids deserve so much better than that. To be in a championship with so much on the line and [having] that kind of crowd, disgusts me,”

I didn’t “Show up” last night. My wife is 38 weeks pregnant and my grandmother just got brought home from the nursing home and is on hospice care so that she can die at home. I thought it might be nice to spend some time with them. Apparently this means I’m not a “true fan” in your eyes.

Had the circumstances been different though, I’m not sure I’d have been able to get to the game anyhow, because my company (like many others) has had layoffs recently and those of us who remain work extra hours to keep the company viable. We produce products that our customers purchase based on our reputation for quality and performance, so we have to continue to keep those levels high during lean and difficult times. This often means working late, and Fridays are no exception. When 6:15 rolled around and I was leaving work I probably could have gone down to The Doyt, but after a long 50+ hour week, I went home to my family. Sorry.

Lots of different people, Bowling Green fans all, lead lots of different lives and support Falcon athletics in lots of different ways. To generalize that anyone who wasn’t at the game last night, at 6PM on a Friday, watching your demonstrated inferior product in less-than ideal conditions, is not a “true fan” is RIDICULOUS and it alienates hundreds… THOUSANDS of TRUE Falcon Fans that have been here before you arrived… and will, thankfully, be here after you’re gone.

I’m sorry you think I let you and your players down.

Good luck against Toledo.
Grant Cummings
BGSU ‘93

And now for a spirited response from the coach:

Grant,

I will never apologize for calling out the fans. People need to understand SUPPORT. Support isn’t running a message board that is demeaning and insulting not only to me, but my coaches and players as well. I realize circumstances sometimes dictate not being able to make it to all the games. I never said any of you were not true fans. I said only the true supporters showed up. As you said, thousands of “true fans” will be here long after I’m gone and still not coming to games.

Support and winning go hand in hand. Rarely do we have one without the other- except at BGSU. For six of the last seven years we have won at BG with disappointing home game support. Granted we have struggled at home this season. However, I remember big wins at home through the years with poor crowds. I don’t schedule the games or set the times, but that shouldn’t matter. Those are excuses.

As I said in my post game remarks, our players deserve better.
The UB game had championship implications. As far as our players leaving before the alma mater, that is regrettable, and it will be addressed with the team.

GB

I frickin love this guy already. Hire him!

This board provides a great benchmark for analyzing coaches. Let's see, most of you guys think Fisch was a waste as OC. He's going to the Seahawks. But you like these other guys, at least one of which has nowhere to go right now. I'm thinking maybe Fisch was a lot better than I thought.

This board provides a great benchmark for analyzing coaches. Let's see, most of you guys think Fisch was a waste as OC. He's going to the Seahawks. But you like these other guys, at least one of which has nowhere to go right now. I'm thinking maybe Fisch was a lot better than I thought.

Don: those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Thinking that JF was "over the heads" of College kids but may be quite good coaching in the pros, isn't exactly an indictment of his skills. Perhaps an indictment of his flexibility but not of his talent.

He wouldn't be going to the Seahawks if he didn't have some history of success. Saying that success didn't include his stint at Minnesota shouldn't require a vast knowledge of the game.

I'll start by saying I never was a Jedd Fisch fan, I thought his NFL experience was overrated. He's going to a place where he doesn't need to develop a player. Do you think Darrel Bevell and Kevin Rogers coach Brett Favre? He had no experience in player development. Did any of his quarterbacks get better as the year went on? He had no college experience as a position coach. The NFL and college to some extent is about having connections. The new Seahawk OC is friends with Jedd. He obviously didn't think he could get the job done here, he passed on a lot of cash. All of the candidates that I've seen thus far have way more experience than Jedd at running a college offense.

Can someone tell me why the most obvious name for consideration has not been mentioned yet?

Why not Mike Hokansee???? :D :clap:

What Chris Meidt accomplished at St. Olaf was quite remarkable. I am familiar with his background and I think he would be a great choice. I wonder if he is getting any look at all from Brewster?

With or without the Gophers, I think Meidt has a great future. It would be nice to see him get the nod.

I've come to the conclusion that....

...U alums will never be considered for this or any other post in the near
future. There seems to be an aversion to former Gophers as coaches.
So, the Salems, Hohensees, and Trestmans, regardless of what they
can bring, need not be brought up. It ain't happening.

Dungy is a non-issue.

i was at ok state rivals and it was anounced that they just hired the houston oc. now the cowboys have three ocs. i wonder if brewer will become a more interested canidate in us now?

Can someone tell me why the most obvious name for consideration has not been mentioned yet?

Why not Mike Hokansee???? :D :clap:

I can even out-homer that: Marc Trestman.

What Chris Meidt accomplished at St. Olaf was quite remarkable. I am familiar with his background and I think he would be a great choice. I wonder if he is getting any look at all from Brewster?

With or without the Gophers, I think Meidt has a great future. It would be nice to see him get the nod.

+1

Dungy is a non-issue.

It's because there aren't any (outside of Dungy) who are qualified.

Bring us a Gopher alum who is qualified, and we'll hire him.

Trestman is qualified.

You're right. So that makes two. But though he is not as accomplished as Dungy, I would put him in the camp that would not be interested in us. He has worked 23 of the last 25 years in professional football. And he has spent the last two seasons working in the CFL, thus devising offenses for an entirely different game. Sure, it'd kind of be like the old "getting back on a bike" analogy, but you'd think there'd have to be an adjustment period. And the "adjustment" we went through last season was more than enough for me.

Dungy is a non-issue.

I think Smokey Joe Salem's tenure here pretty much submarined any inside track an "M" man may have had at the Head Coaching job at Minnesota. As I recall, and not being an "M" man, I don't know this to be true, but it seemed that there were dueling camps within "M" club membership over Stoll and Salem. The Salem faction obviously won and the result was a giant mistake.

Are there any other former Gopher players other than the ones mentioned above coaching at an FBS school? Only Dewayne Walker comes to mind, but didn't he just leave to join Pete Carroll in Seattle?

I think Smokey Joe Salem's tenure here pretty much submarined any inside track an "M" man may have had at the Head Coaching job at Minnesota. As I recall, and not being an "M" man, I don't know this to be true, but it seemed that there were dueling camps within "M" club membership over Stoll and Salem. The Salem faction obviously won and the result was a giant mistake.

Are you saying that while Cal Stoll was still coaching the Gophers, some boosters were advocating firing him just to hire Salem? If so, very interesting and something I hadn't heard before. I thought he was a fall back hire, no info, I just thought hiring someone from the Division II University of South Dakota would not be the first person asked.

Are you saying that while Cal Stoll was still coaching the Gophers, some boosters were advocating firing him just to hire Salem? If so, very interesting and something I hadn't heard before. I thought he was a fall back hire, no info, I just thought hiring someone from the Division II University of South Dakota would not be the first person asked.

Smokey was at Northern Arizona, which was 1aa. Am I wrong?

Are there any other former Gopher players other than the ones mentioned above coaching at an FBS school? Only Dewayne Walker comes to mind, but didn't he just leave to join Pete Carroll in Seattle?

Well the only other two that I know of are Tim Salem, and a lineman that played under Wacker that was a position coach, or coordinator at Columbia? (NY).

What I'm hearing for other posters without it being specifically addressed is that Tim Salem would never be given a look do to his dads performance. Too bad IMO because he has quite a bit of college experience and ties to the football hotbeds of Ohio, and Florida in addition to being a former Gopher player.

Top Bottom