Early Names from Tom Dienhart

I like this list quite a bit. Not overly excited about Brandon but would be very pleased with Brookhart, Brewer or Canales. I think Brewer would be fantastic. If Brewster pulls that off......wow!!

No thanks on Gregg Brandon. If I saw an offense more clueless then Minnesota's this year it was UVa's. Where is Brookhart now?

Brookhart I believe is unemployed as of right now. I would think he might be eager to get this job and given his past connections with the Denver Broncos, I would think he and Brewster are "close."

I like this list quite a bit. Not overly excited about Brandon but would be very pleased with Brookhart, Brewer or Canales. I think Brewer would be fantastic. If Brewster pulls that off......wow!!

Don't tell Go4..."but to spin this as a good thing for brewster is equally stupid."

OSU just hired a new OC, maybe Brewer was to be demoted. I doubt they are bringing in the OC from Houston to be a Co-OC.

No thanks on Gregg Brandon. If I saw an offense more clueless then Minnesota's this year it was UVa's. Where is Brookhart now?

I like what he did at BG, they were brutal at Virginia this year.

Category National Rank
Rushing Offense 112 99.08
Passing Offense 105 170.50
Total Offense 118 269.58
Scoring Offense 105 19.33
Brookhart was just recently fired as Akron head coach.

I agree this is pretty good list; I actually like Brandon from this list - they were never bad offensively at Bowling Green in his tenure.

I think the Gophers should give now former Redskins offensive assistant Chris Meidt a shot. He has the pro coaching experience in a similar role as Fisch and was highly successful both as a coach and a recruiter at St. Olaf. He created a pipeline to the state of Florida and St. Olaf's best players in his years as head coach there were from the sunshine state. He may not be the "kill shot" type of pick at this point but he is from Minnesota, likely to want to stay here longterm, and can probably continue and hopefully simplify the current pro-style system.
This article mentions Meidt's interest in coaching at the U:
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=22&a=432791

I think the Gophers should give now former Redskins offensive assistant Chris Meidt a shot. He has the pro coaching experience in a similar role as Fisch and was highly successful both as a coach and a recruiter at St. Olaf. He created a pipeline to the state of Florida and St. Olaf's best players in his years as head coach there were from the sunshine state. He may not be the "kill shot" type of pick at this point but he is from Minnesota, likely to want to stay here longterm, and can probably continue and hopefully simplify the current pro-style system.
This article mentions Meidt's interest in coaching at the U:
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=22&a=432791

I would give him a chance.

I'm friends with Charlie Frye from high school. He always thought very highly of J.D. Brookhart.

Brandon

Brandon didn't have much success last year at UVA but has had success every other year. Much like Cosgrove, Withers, Hudson, Lockwood and Fisch.

Thanks for the hard work nemosgold. Looks like a decent list.

Steve Kragthorpe is on the list too. Also, any of these guys sound good. I really wanted to believe in Fisch, but the guy sucked a bag full of dicks.

Brandon didn't have much success last year at UVA but has had success every other year. Much like Cosgrove, Withers, Hudson, Lockwood and Fisch.

That's true, but it wasn't just a lack of talent. There were multiple games where he didn't seem to have a clue how to utilize Sewell at all. That gives me little hope for how he would use Gray.

Who cares?

Back to the question at hand, I like the resumes of all these guys better than Fisch's last year. I would be interested to know if this speculation is based on their interest in Minnesota or simply Brewster's interest in them. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that some of these guys would be interested, given Brewster's tenuous job status, despite the expected extension.

Zack on the other board, does a nice job outlining the potential interests of the various candidates.

I hope we go back to some form of the spread so we can utilize Gray's talents along with Liscomb(if he gets enrolled)...

Brandon

That's true, but it wasn't just a lack of talent. There were multiple games where he didn't seem to have a clue how to utilize Sewell at all. That gives me little hope for how he would use Gray.

Yeah, I know nothing about the UVA situation and know he struggled this past year. Omar Jacobs, however, was a big time stud under his watch at BG.

From what I understand, Brandon switched Virginia's style of offense from a more pro-style under Mike Groh to the spread. I wasn't paying too close of attention to them this year but maybe there were some players that didn't fit the switch or something.

Yeah, I know nothing about the UVA situation and know he struggled this past year. Omar Jacobs, however, was a big time stud under his watch at BG.

Didn't they run the spread at BG though? We can hardly afford to go back to that, and his ability to run a pro-style offense at UVa looked more questionable then Fisch's.

Brewer is easily the stand out on the short list of candidates mentioned thus far. He also interviewed last year for the position, so there is some level of mutual interest. I certainly hope he gets another look this year. He's done very well at OK St.

Greg Brandon

Gregg Brandon: Following is a snipet from an email exchange between Brandon and a BGSU fan,

Grant Cummings is the proprietor of the Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba message board and sent this e-mail to Coach Brandon following comments about the “pitiful” crowd:

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]

Dear Coach Brandon,

“That crowd was pitiful and I’m so disappointed. The fans that showed up, that’s awesome because they’re the true fans. Our kids deserve so much better than that. To be in a championship with so much on the line and [having] that kind of crowd, disgusts me,”

I didn’t “Show up” last night. My wife is 38 weeks pregnant and my grandmother just got brought home from the nursing home and is on hospice care so that she can die at home. I thought it might be nice to spend some time with them. Apparently this means I’m not a “true fan” in your eyes.

Had the circumstances been different though, I’m not sure I’d have been able to get to the game anyhow, because my company (like many others) has had layoffs recently and those of us who remain work extra hours to keep the company viable. We produce products that our customers purchase based on our reputation for quality and performance, so we have to continue to keep those levels high during lean and difficult times. This often means working late, and Fridays are no exception. When 6:15 rolled around and I was leaving work I probably could have gone down to The Doyt, but after a long 50+ hour week, I went home to my family. Sorry.

Lots of different people, Bowling Green fans all, lead lots of different lives and support Falcon athletics in lots of different ways. To generalize that anyone who wasn’t at the game last night, at 6PM on a Friday, watching your demonstrated inferior product in less-than ideal conditions, is not a “true fan” is RIDICULOUS and it alienates hundreds… THOUSANDS of TRUE Falcon Fans that have been here before you arrived… and will, thankfully, be here after you’re gone.

I’m sorry you think I let you and your players down.

Good luck against Toledo.
Grant Cummings
BGSU ‘93

And now for a spirited response from the coach:

Grant,

I will never apologize for calling out the fans. People need to understand SUPPORT. Support isn’t running a message board that is demeaning and insulting not only to me, but my coaches and players as well. I realize circumstances sometimes dictate not being able to make it to all the games. I never said any of you were not true fans. I said only the true supporters showed up. As you said, thousands of “true fans” will be here long after I’m gone and still not coming to games.

Support and winning go hand in hand. Rarely do we have one without the other- except at BGSU. For six of the last seven years we have won at BG with disappointing home game support. Granted we have struggled at home this season. However, I remember big wins at home through the years with poor crowds. I don’t schedule the games or set the times, but that shouldn’t matter. Those are excuses.

As I said in my post game remarks, our players deserve better. The UB game had championship implications. As far as our players leaving before the alma mater, that is regrettable, and it will be addressed with the team.

GB

Top Bottom