Early insights.

march madness

Reaction score
McBrayer looks like a different player on offense! His scoring is way up and he looks confident. Most imortantly he is making 40% on 3's and the rest of the team is pretty bad at shooting them.

Lynch has better offensive skills then I imagined. Once he gets in better shape, he will keep improving.

Curry is a great prospect and he is playing well. Decent freshmen size, athleticsm, skills, and a good motor. Not as excited to see him at the 5 especially against big teams like Purdue, OH. ST, etc. Hope BK can eventually earn some backup center minutes against those teams.

Coffey has a very nice all round game. He is more aggressive to the rim that I would have expected. His lack of strength makes it hard for him to finish plays but he will improve.

We keep talking about depth. I only see 7 players with quality depth with Fitz hurt. We cannot bear any injuries to the top 7.

I like the numbers though you wonder how much the weak competition to this point is skewing things. Let's see how he does against St Johns.

Rebounding is the biggest improvment I have seen so far. I went back to look and we were outrebounded in 9/13 non-conference games last year. In the 4 that we did outrebound the opponent, the margin was slim. The past two games we have dominated the boards.

Free Throws need to improve before conference play.
66-95 69.4% is not gonna cut it.

sounds like a fun group to watch(only listened so far). I will be attending Friday night.

sounds like a fun group to watch(only listened so far). I will be attending Friday night.

I mean, it's pretty close to average. That's not bad. I'd imagine 3 point shooting is far worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In 2015-16, the team's pick-and-roll defense slipped. Two years after recording a 74.9 percent clip from the free throw line (No. 23 in the nation), UCLA made just 69.1 percent of its attempts last season, a mark outside the top 200.

From the Alford article Bleed posted.

But 95 attempts is pretty darn good. If we shoot even close to that many the rest of the season and make 70% of them, I'll be pretty happy.

At this point I think we have eight guys that are reliable, smart basketball players that deserve minutes in the big ten I think Konate could be that 9th guy in certain situations or Gilbert if he gets hot from three. I do like that we have seven guys that can get into double figures on any given night. The key will be can a couple of those guys step up and become the go to scorer in the clutch.

In three games this year vs last year, the Gophers have like over 30 more rebounds this year, although the small sample size makes this a difficult comparison. However 30 is more is over 30% more and that may be significant.

In three games this year vs last year, the Gophers have like over 30 more rebounds this year, although the small sample size makes this a difficult comparison. However 30 is more is over 30% more and that may be significant.

Some of that can be attributed to not having Joey King on the court.

They are a bigger, more athletic team this year. B1G at home will be fun.

But 95 attempts is pretty darn good. If we shoot even close to that many the rest of the season and make 70% of them, I'll be pretty happy.

70% as a team is about all you can hope for, but this team is capable of better. As often as not, it's the guards who have been missing. If they free throw up to their presumed capability, this could be an above-average free throwing team.

Top Bottom