Early Enrollees

Today, Coach Kill had his Coffee with Coach Kill and he had the early enrollees at the event. Nelson, Leidner, Ekpe, Gillum, Fruetche, Baltazar, Shabazz, and Boody were at the event as the early enrollees. There was no Hinojosa. I thought that Hinojosa was going to enroll in the Spring Semester.
He may be the DT trying to figure something out at his school.

To update my earlier post, Nelson and Ekpe are now enrolled. Hinojosa is still not showing up on Onestop.

Leidner, Nelson, and Ekpe are all in Yudof Hall, which seems to be a strange decision for football players, given that it's about as far away from the football complex as possible while still being on the East Bank.

To update my earlier post, Nelson and Ekpe are now enrolled. Hinojosa is still not showing up on Onestop.

Leidner, Nelson, and Ekpe are all in Yudof Hall, which seems to be a strange decision for football players, given that it's about as far away from the football complex as possible while still being on the East Bank.

That is strange. They did reroute the campus circulator which now picks up not far from Yudof and goes to University and 15th. So maybe it's not nearly as "far" anymore.

That is strange. They did reroute the campus circulator which now picks up not far from Yudof and goes to University and 15th. So maybe it's not nearly as "far" anymore.

Not so strange if you are a midyear enrollee and the dorms have been full since September. Probably the best they could do on short notice. As other students do not return for/leave during this semester, other places will open up.

I hear you, the early enrollee aspect of college football isn't as drastic as the kids who play junior hockey. However, those kids are often pulled out of their HS's by their eventual colleges and told to go to HS in Fargo or Waterloo, etc and they go to HS in those places (or even the Developmental Team in Ann Arbor). I'm not arguing that these kids aren't getting a proper education (in JR, the early enrollees, or the Developmental Team), i'm saying part of me is a bit skeptical of rushing these kids out of a traditional HS setting earlier and earlier.

There is a changing nature in the senior year nationally and in Minnesota, there is a program passed by the Legislature last year that would award kids who graduate early a scholarship that is comprised of a portion of the remaining financial commitment made by the state to the student's high school. That was passed last year, but I don't know if it has been implemented yet due to problems with the drafting of the legislation. Further, I don't know if it applies to athletes on scholarship. Bottom line, the world is changing. Perhaps the folks who suffer most by early graduation are high school baseball and track coaches.

Not so strange if you are a midyear enrollee and the dorms have been full since September. Probably the best they could do on short notice. As other students do not return for/leave during this semester, other places will open up.

Ahh didn't even think about that. Makes sense though. Hell even my freshman year they didn't have enough dorm space for everyone who applied by the guaranteed housing deadline.

I think its smart for D-1 football players to graduate early from high school and enroll in college. They can start to absorb the playbook, get grounded academically, and get to know their new teammates before the season begins. I think it would be harder to come in during the fall and balance the athletics and the collegiate coursework with season already under way. Enrolling early can give them a running start.

I performed a "people search" on umn.edu and Jordan Hinojosa's name did not show up.

I performed a "people search" on umn.edu and Jordan Hinojosa's name did not show up.

Read the Star Trib atricle, Jordan is the main subject of early enrollees. There is another forum about this.

Read the Star Trib atricle, Jordan is the main subject of early enrollees. There is another forum about this.

I trust the University of Minnesota's database more than I trust third-hand information from a newspaper article. It is possible that Hinojosa is enrolled and has his directory information suppressed, but I doubt that is the case. Most don't even realize that option is available, and almost certainly not someone brand-new to the university. The more likely scenario is that he isn't enrolled yet, despite what the newspaper says. If so, it's likely nothing he did wrong, but more likely that certain requirements weren't met that would allow him to graduate HS a semester early.

I trust the University of Minnesota's database more than I trust third-hand information from a newspaper article. It is possible that Hinojosa is enrolled and has his directory information suppressed, but I doubt that is the case. Most don't even realize that option is available, and almost certainly not someone brand-new to the university. The more likely scenario is that he isn't enrolled yet, despite what the newspaper says. If so, it's likely nothing he did wrong, but more likely that certain requirements weren't met that would allow him to graduate HS a semester early.

It was mentioned on Monday that there is another high school recruit that they were hoping would enroll early. I am guessing that person is Jordan and the issues were with his school. I think he would be able to enroll any time this week, with Monday being the cut off. Hopefully everything comes together shortly.

Top Bottom