Early Enrollees

TNGophfan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Nelson, Leidner, etc, started classes this week? I know it's been posted before, but too lazy to find, what other freshman enrolled for spring semester?

Thanks,

Does anyone know if Nelson, Leidner, etc, started classes this week? I know it's been posted before, but too lazy to find, what other freshman enrolled for spring semester?

Thanks,

jordan hinojoisa supposidly enrolled early as well

Leidner has already registered for spring classes. Neither Nelson nor Hinojosa is showing up as of yet.

Thanks for responses. For some reason I thought classes started this week.

As of right now Hinojosa is not starting classes in January. There is a meet and greet scheduled for Monday morning and he isn't on the list of early enrollees. Not sure if it has been reported or not but there is a DT from Texas that will be here.

Just as an update, here are the players currently enrolled for classes in Spring 2012:

Mitch Leidner
Jeremy Baltazar
Isaac Fruechte
James Gillum
Briean Boddy
Martez Shabazz

It would seem some of the guys that planned to enroll early are having difficulties. If their schools are anything like mine, they don't let people graduate early and the kids didn't know it. But who knows?

Going off of memory but the list I saw had 9 total, 3 high school and 6 juco.

Going off of memory but the list I saw had 9 total, 3 high school and 6 juco.

Who is the 6th JUCO?

These 5 have been reported by Rivals:

James Gillum
Isaac Fruetche
Briean Boddy
Martez Shabazz
Jeremy Baltazar

There is a JUCO DT names Roland Johnson visiting this weekend, was that the 6th name on the list? Maybe he just committed and will be staying since classes start next Tuesday?

Did Phil Nelson back out? or is he one of those who discovered he couldn't graduate early?

Who is the 6th JUCO?

These 5 have been reported by Rivals:

James Gillum
Isaac Fruetche
Briean Boddy
Martez Shabazz
Jeremy Baltazar

There is a JUCO DT names Roland Johnson visiting this weekend, was that the 6th name on the list? Maybe he just committed and will be staying since classes start next Tuesday?

He does have an offer from Minnesota. What is interesting though is that on Scout Minnesota is the only school that he has his interest level is listed as high. That is not the case for Rivals where he has interest level listed as medium for four schools including Minnesota. I would say that if everything goes well and his academic affairs are in order there is very good chance he may be starting school on Tuesday.

Well my memory did not serve, re-read the email and it is 5 juco. Nelson is among the high school players. The third is a dt from Texas.

Did Phil Nelson back out? or is he one of those who discovered he couldn't graduate early?
That was just speculation from me. I don't know if that's actually the case.

Yeah, I remember there being some confusion at one time about whether or not Ekpe was still committed. Maybe people were confusing him with Twitty who is no longer committed. But I also remember some speculation that Ekpe wasn't a solid commit.

I am amazed not only at the interest here, but number of high school players graduating early and getting to the University for the second semester. In an earlier version of the gopherhole I posed the question why not enroll for the summer sessions, get some credits, get around the U and the program? I was roundly put down that kids need the summer for friends and that is something they can never get back. This is not only a change in the program but also the interest here. It is a huge step forward.

Yeah, I remember there being some confusion at one time about whether or not Ekpe was still committed. Maybe people were confusing him with Twitty who is no longer committed. But I also remember some speculation that Ekpe wasn't a solid commit.

Yeah, it was Twitty I was confusing Ekpe with.

I am amazed not only at the interest here, but number of high school players graduating early and getting to the University for the second semester. In an earlier version of the gopherhole I posed the question why not enroll for the summer sessions, get some credits, get around the U and the program? I was roundly put down that kids need the summer for friends and that is something they can never get back. This is not only a change in the program but also the interest here. It is a huge step forward.

Yeah, it is a sign of the times. I'm not sure I agree with it, in general. I wouldn't mind if the NCAA passed a rule that made these players wait until fall to enroll, but everyone does it, and if we didn't we'd be behind.

Yeah, it is a sign of the times. I'm not sure I agree with it, in general. I wouldn't mind if the NCAA passed a rule that made these players wait until fall to enroll, but everyone does it, and if we didn't we'd be behind.

We were, are about 40 years behind. It was common practice for JC players to report in January, and when a program took off high school recruits saw the benefit of getting on campus early. Originally in the Summer, the early graduates enrolling for the second semester has been around for at least 20 years. It takes a committed student/athlete to pull it off. Its all good.

We were, are about 40 years behind. It was common practice for JC players to report in January, and when a program took off high school recruits saw the benefit of getting on campus early. Originally in the Summer, the early graduates enrolling for the second semester has been around for at least 20 years. It takes a committed student/athlete to pull it off. Its all good.

No, I got ya, it's something we had to do, and something we should have been doing years ago.

It's kind of like kids leaving HS to go play junior hockey, it's a necessary part of the process now, I just am not sure it's entirely healthy.

No, I got ya, it's something we had to do, and something we should have been doing years ago.

It's kind of like kids leaving HS to go play junior hockey, it's a necessary part of the process now, I just am not sure it's entirely healthy.

I don't think the JH analogy is correct. Hockey players are not required to have any schooling, per se, during their junior hockey route. It's mostly about playing every day and getting stronger and faster (and noticed) before college hockey. The early football enrollees have to go to college, and learn the football system at their college.

I don't think the JH analogy is correct. Hockey players are not required to have any schooling, per se, during their junior hockey route. It's mostly about playing every day and getting stronger and faster (and noticed) before college hockey. The early football enrollees have to go to college, and learn the football system at their college.

I hear you, the early enrollee aspect of college football isn't as drastic as the kids who play junior hockey. However, those kids are often pulled out of their HS's by their eventual colleges and told to go to HS in Fargo or Waterloo, etc and they go to HS in those places (or even the Developmental Team in Ann Arbor). I'm not arguing that these kids aren't getting a proper education (in JR, the early enrollees, or the Developmental Team), i'm saying part of me is a bit skeptical of rushing these kids out of a traditional HS setting earlier and earlier.

Roland Johnson apparently didn't graduate from his Juco and will not be enrolling in spring semester according to the twitterverse

Apparently there is another high school senior that might enroll early if he can figure out some things at his school. Unfortunately I don't know who.

Today, Coach Kill had his Coffee with Coach Kill and he had the early enrollees at the event. Nelson, Leidner, Ekpe, Gillum, Fruetche, Baltazar, Shabazz, and Boody were at the event as the early enrollees. There was no Hinojosa. I thought that Hinojosa was going to enroll in the Spring Semester.

Top Bottom