Early Big Ten win total predictions: Will Ohio State rebound, Michigan repeat?

nitramnaed

Reaction score
Via Fansided

MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS
Big Ten West 9-3 (6-3)
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football

P.J. Fleck is the Cheetos of college football, incredibly cheesy but very effective​

Row the boat is not quite reaching Butch Jones/Dan Quinn cliche levels, but this phrase has become synonymous with all things P.J. Fleck. His Golden Gophers will be the biggest contender in the Big Ten West to arch-rival Wisconsin. While they will not get it done vs. the Badgers, Fleck may parlay his run in Minneapolis to a bigger job if the right one opens up. As to where that could be is up in the air.

Over 7.5 wins: 9-3 (6-3)

Via Fansided

MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS
Big Ten West 9-3 (6-3)

P.J. Fleck is the Cheetos of college football, incredibly cheesy but very effective​

Row the boat is not quite reaching Butch Jones/Dan Quinn cliche levels, but this phrase has become synonymous with all things P.J. Fleck. His Golden Gophers will be the biggest contender in the Big Ten West to arch-rival Wisconsin. While they will not get it done vs. the Badgers, Fleck may parlay his run in Minneapolis to a bigger job if the right one opens up. As to where that could be is up in the air.

Via Fansided

MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS
Big Ten West 9-3 (6-3)

No substance here. We are better than 6-3 and Fleck's not going anywhere.

Six wins is a really good starting point. Could be more ... could be less, though I doubt it. At Penn State, MSU, Wisconsin and even Nebraska will not be walks in the park. And Fleck has never beaten Iowa. I think someone outside of our fanbase expecting 6-3 this year shows us how far the program has come.

Did Mertz suddenly become a capable QB? Unless he has, I don't see wi as much of a threat in the West!
Their defense makes them a threat
They can beat everyone but they can lose to many too.

So I don’t see them as a threat to go 13-0 but they can certainly win the division and could probably on a given day beat someone in a championship.

I would pick them 8-4 this year. A break or two go their way they are 10-2 or 9-3 and in the mix for the division.

When you don't replace people with 4 and 5 star recruits, all the writers will assume you are replacing top talent with much inferior replacements. Only a diehard would know we replace our line with 2 excellent transfers and have developed some great linemen. Only a true Gopher fan would realize our replacement linebackers and D-line are only a small step down from last year and our improved secondary should make up the difference.

For us a 10+ win season seems like a real possibility. For someone who goes off tradition, recruiting rankings and a token piece of knowledge, 8-9 wins seem generous.

When you don't replace people with 4 and 5 star recruits, all the writers will assume you are replacing top talent with much inferior replacements. Only a diehard would know we replace our line with 2 excellent transfers and have developed some great linemen. Only a true Gopher fan would realize our replacement linebackers and D-line are only a small step down from last year and our improved secondary should make up the difference.

For us a 10+ win season seems like a real possibility. For someone who goes off tradition, recruiting rankings and a token piece of knowledge, 8-9 wins seem generous.
Yeah. For the first time since 2016 I am picking the gophers to win the division.

I picked Iowa last year. (Iowa)
I picked Wisconsin 2020. (Northwestern)
I picked Wisconsin 2019. (Wisconsin)

I can’t remember who I picked in 2018 but I think it was Iowa.

Just spitballing here:

Must win/should win: NMSU, Western Ill, Colorado, Rutgers, NW (5)
Slight favorites: @Illinois, Purdue (2)
50/50: @Neb, Iowa (2)
Slight underdogs: @WI, @PSU, @MSU (3)

Take 5 in the first column, 2 in the second, and one each in the last two and that's a solid 9 win season IMO. Win the bowl game to hit double digits.

Just spitballing here:

Take 5 in the first column, 2 in the second, and one each in the last two and that's a solid 9 win season IMO. Win the bowl game to hit double digits.
I think Purdue is a much tougher game than Nebraska this year. By the time the gophers play Nebraska Nebraska might have an interim coach and be in complete shambles

Just spitballing here:

That's a pretty good read on the schedule, although conservative. Slightly more optimistic would be to add the five and two, win both your 50/50 games (why not?), and win one or two of your last grouping. That's 10 or 11 regular season wins.

I think Purdue is a much tougher game than Nebraska this year. By the time the gophers play Nebraska Nebraska might have an interim coach and be in complete shambles
If the home/road were reversed, I would agree with you. Purdue is a better team than Neb but we get them at home. I think Nebraska slightly rebounds this year - not a division title contender but a bowl game for them.

That's a pretty good read on the schedule, although conservative. Slightly more optimistic would be to add the five and two, win both your 50/50 games (why not?), and win one or two of your last grouping. That's 10 or 11 regular season wins.
Absolutely we can beat Iowa and Nebraska, and I think there's a good chance MSU takes a step back. PSU I think would be a coin toss but I'll give them the edge as the home team. Nice thing is I don't see any game that's a sure loss.

If the home/road were reversed, I would agree with you. Purdue is a better team than Neb but we get them at home. I think Nebraska slightly rebounds this year - not a division title contender but a bowl game for them.
Nebraska is 10-14 at home under frost
They are 5-15 on the road

But of those 10 home wins here are some of them:
Bethune Cookman
Fordham
Buffalo
South Alabama
Northern Illinois

So really they are pretty much the same home and road 5-14 excluding non conference cupcakes

Their defense makes them a threat
They can beat everyone but they can lose to many too.

So I don’t see them as a threat to go 13-0 but they can certainly win the division and could probably on a given day beat someone in a championship.

I would pick them 8-4 this year. A break or two go their way they are 10-2 or 9-3 and in the mix for the division.
An 8-4 record sounds right. I think they need things to go their way to get 10 wins and they will not beat every division opponent. Mertz doesn't need to be a game changer, but he does have to up his game a notch or two or defenses will just key in on the run. I'm not sold on Mertz making the jump!

An 8-4 record sounds right. I think they need things to go their way to get 10 wins and they will not beat every division opponent. Mertz doesn't need to be a game changer, but he does have to up his game a notch or two or defenses will just key in on the run. I'm not sold on Mertz making the jump!

I would say that 8-4 probably is the fairest prediction. They have a somewhat harder schedule than last year so that might be good for one more loss than last year but they probably will avoid losing to a low stature program like BGSU this year so that is good for one more win.

It will be interesting what new wrinkles, if any, their new OC implements. Their strengths are traditional Wisconsin strengths in defense and running the ball. Call me crazy but their O-Line was a weak spot from what I saw last year. Apparently 4 and 5 star guys haven't helped them there. New (old) O Line coach. Lot of unknowns. A lot of things need to go their right for them to win the division IMO.

Yeah. For the first time since 2016 I am picking the gophers to win the division.

I picked Iowa last year. (Iowa)
I picked Wisconsin 2020. (Northwestern)
I picked Wisconsin 2019. (Wisconsin)

I can’t remember who I picked in 2018 but I think it was Iowa.
You must be picking Minnesota because they hired Ciarocca back, a much better OC than the last 2 years.

It really is a make it or break it year for Scottie Frost. I don't think Nebraska can use the excuse of Riley left the cupboard bare anymore. At this point I think Scottie recruited most if not all of the players on the roster.

It really is a make it or break it year for Scottie Frost. I don't think Nebraska can use the excuse of Riley left the cupboard bare anymore. At this point I think Scottie recruited most if not all of the players on the roster.
I mean if he didn’t I don’t know who did considering it’s his 5th year and his best two seasons were years 2 and 1

You must be picking Minnesota because they hired Ciarocca back, a much better OC than the last 2 years.
I am picking Minnesota because in retrospect they were the best team last year.
Iowa is the team that has Minnesota’s number and I think theyre probably 4th place this year with their tougher schedule

Minnesota lost some but not more than any of the other contenders

tell me which team is going to suffer the most key injuries, and then I will start making predictions.

the West division is going to be very tight. But if any team in the top group loses their QB, or a top RB, WR, etc. to injury, that changes the whole equation.

a lot of the time, it's not who you play. it's when you play them and which team is missing the fewest pieces.

I could come up with scenarios that result in at least 4 different teams winning the West.

tell me which team is going to suffer the most key injuries, and then I will start making predictions.

the West division is going to be very tight. But if any team in the top group loses their QB, or a top RB, WR, etc. to injury, that changes the whole equation.

a lot of the time, it's not who you play. it's when you play them and which team is missing the fewest pieces.

I could come up with scenarios that result in at least 4 different teams winning the West.
Good teams have depth. We have depth everywhere.

The only team that would be sunk by losing one player is Purdue losing their QB

Top Bottom