Early B1G Bowl Projections...Gophers/Baylor in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Best we can hope for is that the team either A) figures it our and turns a corner starting with Iowa or B) takes a really sour taste in their mouth into the offseason leading to some wholesale changes within the coaching staff and the emergence of some leaders in the locker room.

Option A should be happening right now, but if this is the down year we've been due considering our sustained competence, the coaching staff needs to make some changes to ensure we don't have another one of these seasons for another three/four years minimum. Another consecutive year like this and the wheels fall off.

They could end up in the Sears or Woolworth's bowl if they don't win all or all but one of their last games.

Remember we have the good grade point averages...we maybe can get a grant entry as a 5 win team.

Having a bye week to prepare for hated Iowa, following a humiliating loss during a disappointing season...if the Gophers are ever going to beat Iowa, this is the week. Unfortunately I have not much confidence.

I'm just trying not to write off 2023. My brain and my heart want to think about '24.

Having a bye week to prepare for hated Iowa, following a humiliating loss during a disappointing season...if the Gophers are ever going to beat Iowa, this is the week. Unfortunately I have not much confidence.

I'm just trying not to write off 2023. My brain and my heart want to think about '24.
What gives you optimism for 2024?

This outcome is slightly better than a trip to Detroit or NYC! Just wish they would move the game to Sun Devil Stadium at least!

Definitely better than a trip to Detroit now that the game features a MACC opponent again. The Guaranteed Rate should feature a respectable opponent from the Big 12 and probably one that would be more of a challenge for this team than West Virginia was two years ago.

https://bigten.org/documents/2023/10/3//2023_24_Big_Ten_Bowl_Overview.pdf?id=8304

I think realistic goal should still be Las Vegas Bowl (no Mayo this year!) or Music City Bowl.

If we make it to Outback Bowl, awesome. (Has some BS name now that I won't adhere to)

It would be stupid justice served if the Gophers managed their second best bowl game in the past five years.....with their worst team of the past five years. Part of the problem with bowls taking teams with worse records for whatever reason. Then it causes problems with repeat appearances. The Gophers wasted their 7/8 win seasons on the worst possible slots and now may see the other side of the coin.

Wishful thinking. Still have to find three more wins.

It would be stupid justice served if the Gophers managed their second best bowl game in the past five years.....with their worst team of the past five years. Part of the problem with bowls taking teams with worse records for whatever reason. Then it causes problems with repeat appearances. The Gophers wasted their 7/8 win seasons on the worst possible slots and now may see the other side of the coin.

Wishful thinking. Still have to find three more wins.
The most ironic (and consistently dumbfounding) thing this team could do is beat osu and win out. Reverse mojo for the bowling green/purdue/Illinois etc madness over the past 3/4 years.

The most ironic (and consistently dumbfounding) thing this team could do is beat osu and win out. Reverse mojo for the bowling green/purdue/Illinois etc madness over the past 3/4 years.

I don't think we'll experience that irony this year. Hard to see that happening with this team unless they have a major reversal (like they had with the defense near the latter part of the 2018 season) and even that wouldn't seem to be enough to get a win over OSU.

What gives you optimism for 2024?
It ain't '23. No, seriously, that's a reasonable question.

I trust our offensive line will be better next year, because this is a year of turnover. Our running game should be good, QB play has to be better (AK must improve or be replaced), I trust Rossi to run an effective defense most years, etc. Cody Lindenberg is supposed to be an awesome LB, and I look forward to witnessing his stellar play, too. I expect us to be better than a .500 team next season.

Who doesn't want to see another game played on "Slip-and-Slide Field?"

I wish the powers-that-be would sh*t-can all games played on baseball fields - but I'm not going to hold my breath.

prediction: if the Gophers wind up playing another bowl game on a baseball field, I predict that players with any pro hopes will sit out the game to avoid injury.

Top Bottom