EARLY 2010 PROJECTED STARTERS

gopherpride32

Reaction score
QB-MARQUEIS GRAY, RB-DELEON ESKRIDGE, FB-JON HOESE, WR-BRANDON GREEN, WR-DAJON MCKNIGHT, TE-TIREE EURE, LT-DOM ALFORD, LG-CHRIS BUNDERS, C-D.J. BURRIS, RG-MATT CARUFEL, RT-JEFF WILLS
DE-DL WILHITE, DE-RASHEDE HAGEMAN, DT-JEWHAN EDWARDS, DT-BRANDON KIRKSEY, LB-GARY TINSLEY, LB-KEANON COOPER, LB-BRETT SINGELTON, CB-MICHAEL CARTER, CB-CHRISTYN LEWIS, S-KIM ROYSTON, S-KYLE THERET, K-ERIC ELLESTAD, P-DAN ORSESKE

THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS, ANY OTHERS?

Lair for Eure and Reeves for Singleton if they play the same position.

That could very well be the starting line-up for the opener, although since it's on the road, I could see Weber getting the start. The Gophers bring back quite a bit of experience everywhere but at the LB positions. There will be battles along the O-line and LB spots that should make for a better and deeper team come Oct-Nov.

Ya most of the O-Line is returning from last year, but we have some pretty good young lineman in the program as well to push these veterans. I believe this will also be the fastest defense Minnesota has had in awhile.

Anthony Jacobs is a senior and has the most experience on the defensive line. He'll be starting somewhere.

Jacobs is going to be a JR.

This is what I am thinking the starting group will be

QB-Weber
RB-??? throw a dart. I would like to see Devon and Lamonte come in and take over though Eskridge could put it all together this offseason.
FB-Hoese
WR-Green
WR-McKnight-Many guys will be in the mix here though. would be nice to see Stoudermire become consistent
TE-Lair
LT-Michel- All I heard Brew say when talking about the recruits was adding length. Brooks has that at 6'7". Eventually he will move to RT when Gjere fills out, but he will start out on the left side for lack of better players at this point.
LG-Bunders- he must lean up his body a little bit so he can move better but he could be good if he finds the right weight. could also be Alford, Orton, or Davis here.
C-??? Either Wynn or Burris. Default goes to Wynn because of his "Length"
RG-Carufel
RT-Wills-His body still needs work. Hopefully he is getting after it this offseason because I think we can all see the potential with this young man. another 25-30lbs dropped would do him a world of good.

LDE-Jacobs-we all want Hagemann but I think Jacobs will break out this year. usually it's the JR year when it all comes together for players.
DT-Edwards
DT-Kirksey
RDE-Wilhite-seen some flashes this year. Let's hope he can grow and mature a little physically. I'm really looking forward to seeing KGM hit the field this year. I hope he is ready to go.
OLB-Cooper
OLB-??? could be Reeves or Tinsley. will be a nice battle in camp. might see Rallis in the mix too
MLB-Maresh
CB-Carter
CB-Collado-will be pushed hard by Lewis though
S-Royston
S-Theret-we should see a lot of Thornton too

If you think Maresh is getting on the field before Tinsley you are on something. Tinsley was the best player on the team during the Iowa game. At LB Cooper and Tinsley are locks with the 3rd spot up for grabs.

If you think Maresh is getting on the field before Tinsley you are on something. Tinsley was the best player on the team during the Iowa game. At LB Cooper and Tinsley are locks with the 3rd spot up for grabs.

Sorry buddy...Maresh will be playing in the middle this year...and for the following three after. And it will be because of his talent level as much as it is going to be a public relations deal.

I know you asked why does this fool think that Maresh is going to start over Tinsley?

...simple

First, Maresh is just that good...remember, if he didn't have his medical issues, he was expected to come in and play right away. His redshirt last season was just to ensure his body was recovered from the procedure he went through. and now two years removed from High School...I'm pretty sure he is going to be ready to go.

Second...put yourself in Brewsters shoes right now. You just lost the most important recruit to ever come out of MN and everyone in the state watched it all go down. Yes even more important than Baby Jesus because of the number of people that follow recruiting now days. but you just lost the most visible recruit to ever come out of MN and one of your core beliefs and preachings is keeping the best MN players in state. Do you think the best "in state" players are going to want to come to MN if they see Maresh riding the pine to an out of state guy? what are the coaches gonna tell their players? what about family members? Do you think they will help Brew out a little by gettin in their kids ear a little bit? ...NOPE!!! Brewster knows that he needs to play the top players that come from here, and if he isn't in one already, he will be in a public relations nightmare if he doesn't. He knows that the MN players need to be showcased and given every chance to succeed on the field and in the community or he will have lost them, the fans, and whatever media there is left on his side. and if that happens...we start this whole process over with a new coach.

Brewster is gambling...he has to. He's either going to hit the jackpot....or he is going to go broke trying and it all starts with Maresh being on the field.

You are right about Tinsley though...I think he will be playing over Reeves...on the outside.

Brewster is going to save his job by winning. Not by losing with Minnesota guys. And Tinsley > Maresh

I hope Maresh proves me wrong and is better than Tinsley. Because Tinsley is gonna be a top 3 player on the defense next year.

QB: Gray / Weber / Moses
RB: Eskridge / Bennett / Kirkwood
FB: Hoese / Rengell
TE: Eure / Lair / Hughes (blocking)
WR: McKnight / Keise
WR: Green / Carpenter
Slot: Allen / Stoud (will play some behind Green as well)
OT: Alford / Michel
G: Olson / Burris
C: Wynn / Davis
G: Carufel / Bunders
OT: Wills / Orton

DE: KGM / Wilhite
DT: Kirksey / Jacques
DT: Edwards / Jacobs (will play both DT and DE)
DE: Jacobs / Hageman / Garin
OLB: Cooper / Singleton
MLB: Tinsley / Maresh (when Maresh is in, Tinsley will slide to Reeves spot)
OLB: Reeves / Rallis
CB: Carter / K. Lewis / J. Johnson
CB: Collado / Lewis / Bouie
S: Theret / Watkins
S: Royston / Thornton

are they going to redshirt Jimmy and Edwards? I can see these two making an impact early

QB: Gray / Weber / Moses
RB: Eskridge / Bennett / Kirkwood
Slot: Allen / Stoud (will play some behind Green as well)

DE: KGM / Wilhite
DE: Jacobs / Hageman / Garin
MLB: Tinsley / Maresh (when Maresh is in, Tinsley will slide to Reeves spot)

You know, while a lot of the guys are unproven, that's the most athletic two-deep I've ever seen from the Gophers. Here's to hoping it translates into performance on the field.

All i know is that something has to be done in the secondary. i saw royston's number chasing its assignment on nearly every big play last year. maybe i was just not watching the rest get burned but his name came up an awful lot.

Why not play Tinsley at SLB and put Maresh in the middle?

Exactly. It is not too hard to figure out. Bottom line.....Brew and Cosgrove will get the best players on the field. Local guy or not, if you're good enough to start, you're gonna start.

Just stop and think about what you said for a second (I mean really, use your head)

Do you think the best "in state" players are going to want to come to MN if they see Maresh riding the pine to an out of state guy? what are the coaches gonna tell their players?

This is both over-the-top provincial and illogical. Whether we like it or not, the Gophers need out-of-state players to bring this team to the next level. Playing a less talented MN guy over a more talented out-of-state guy just for the sake of getting more MN recruits makes no sense. The number of highly talented football recruits in MN is sparse when compared to the talent levels of recruits elsewhere. The bigger concern should be good luck getting out-of-state blue chippers if coach Brew sits them in favor of inferior in-state players.

Of course, this all assumes Maresh is less talented (now) than Tinsley--which I'd wager none of us really know for sure at this point in time, especially since none of us have actually seen Maresh play a down against a D1 opponent. I'll be cheering for the hometown kids but I'm not a big enough tool to suggest any of them should get PT over better out-state kids.

QB: Weber/Gray/Alipate
RB: Kirkwood/Bennett/Eskridge
Slot: Stoudemire / Allen

DE: Hagemen / Wilhite
DE: Jacobs / KGM / Garin
MLB: Tinsley / Maresh (When they use thier 3-4 package, you'll see them both in the middle)
CB: Lewis / Collado /

Wilhite played well last year when he got playing time. I would be surprised if he didn't win one of the DE positions.

Wilhite played well last year when he got playing time. I would be surprised if he didn't win one of the DE positions.

Wilhite needs to gain a lot of strength to start at DE against Big Ten opponents this fall. He didn't play a lot of snaps but he did show good quickness. I would love to see him play at 255-265 lbs this fall. I also see Hageman and Jacobs playing a lot at DE this fall. Both of them Minnesota high school players who could really make this a good defense up front.

What are the odds of permanently moving Collado to safety? He seemed to do well in run support but had some trouble in pass coverage if I recall correctly.

What are the odds of permanently moving Collado to safety? He seemed to do well in run support but had some trouble in pass coverage if I recall correctly.

I think moving Collado to safety would be a great move. Collado reminds me a lot of Trumaine Banks. He's good in run support, a smart player, he just isn't fast or quick enough to stay with good Big Ten WRs.

CB Lewis
CB Carter

S Collado
S Theret (?)

I think this should be our best lineup in the secondary. Also +1 for Tinsley and Cooper being locks. With a decent player in that other slot the Gophers could have one of the better linebacking corps in the Big Ten for some time to come.

I also see

QB--Gray--it's time, it just is. The future is Gray, and we finally have an O-coordinator with a history of coaching up QBs

RB--Wright, Kirkwood, Edwards, anybody other than who we have now
FB--Hoese--love this kid. great blocker and great in short yardage. He was very effective in stretches last year

WR--should be an exciting battle for PT here. I assume going into the year you will see McKnight, Green, and Allen/Stoudemire starting, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hill push for a starting slot. McKnight could be great but he REALLY needs to show more consistency. He left 2 TDs (on very catchable balls) off the board with drops in the endzone against Illinois and Iowa.

O-Line--I want to see at least two if not three of last year's Redshirt Freshmen in starting roles. Wills will be good if he loses another 30 or 40 pounds. I also don't see why Gjere should RS. He's a big strong kid, and while I don't see him immediately starting he's the real deal and should at least get an opportunity to push for time right away.

At end of the year when Cosgrove was running a lot more zone coverage, I thought Collado looked pretty decent at CB. I really don't think he would beat out Royston at safety. A lot of Royston's deficiencies were a product of him playing behind a pretty poor LB corp in pass coverage. As much as I liked Campbell and Triplett's toughness, they weren't good in space.

Another name to keep an eye on at WR is Victor Kiese. I have heard that he has the best hands on the team and that is one of the purest WR (good routes, good hands, intelligent) on the entire team, and they expect him to contribute.

One other thing, I really don't expect Edwards to be playing RB. I know Brewster said that he will, and I think he'll give him a shot, but Edwards never seemed like a pure RB to me.

I may be on crack, but could going away from the spread make it more possible they CONTEMPLATE bringing Gray over to wide receiver permanently?

Mini....

I don't think you are completely out in left field. Depending upon how comfortable the coaching staff is with Moses, I think Gray could certainly see a lot of time at WR.

My thoughts

QB: Gray / Weber / Moses- The switch to an offense where the QB runs more will spell the beginning of the Gray era. Focus on the run, easy high percentage passes, take a few shots downfield off of a good play-action, keep the main gameplan out of the young Qb's hands until he's ready. That's got to be the formula going foward, whether we can actually run the ball, who knows, but Gray will be put in situations to use his legs and manage an easy passing game early, hopefully he grows as the season goes on.

RB: Crapshoot, Bennett will get time, he's smart and can be a 3rd down guy. Will Eskridge show up improved? My guess is a similar situation as this last year emerges with Wright/Kirkwood playing Whaley's role. Edwards RS's and is a 235 beast with speed in 2011.

FB: Hoese / Rengell- Solid, Rengel intrigues me as a down the sideline threat.

TE: Eure / Lair / Hughes (blocking)-Similar situation to this year, Eure/Lair compete for the start, McGarry plays some too.

Slot: Stoudemire/Allen/Hill
This group will be much improved, gut feeling, Mcknight looked comfortable late in the year, Green would have been our #1 if he wasn't hurt. I'd love to see Stoudemire get 2-4 carries a game. Keise and Allen are talented youngsters, Allen will stand out at PR this year. Hill will play and compete towards the end of the year.

LT: Alford / Michel
LG: Olson / Burris or Davis
C: Burris or Wynn or Davis
RG: Carufel / Bunders
RT: Wills / Orton

Olson gets the start and will play well, Bunders was just overmatched too often on the perimeter, and was a step too slow, the Freshman will help out of pulling and trapping plays, the rest will have to be improved to have any success as a team in 2010.
DE: Wilhite/Garin/KGM
DT: Edwards / Legania
DE: Hageman/Jacobs/KGM
I saw Wilhite last night, he's maybe 240 now, he'll need to be stronger to start, but i can see it happening. Hageman will also start, Jacobs will need to play several positions and show something. One of the young DT's plays this year, I'm going with Legania. Solid, deep, and talented. Garin has a great first step on third downs. I like the wisconsin walk on too.

MLB: Tinsley / Maresh
OLB: Rallis/ Reeves
Rallis will be a nice LB from now on, he's got speed and size for the position, Reeves never stood out for me this year. Cooper and Tinsley will be amazing going forward, Cooper has All American potential someday.

S: Theret / Manuel/Watkins

Alot of depth, but inexperienced depth. Hopefully the JUCOs can come in and hold the fort until the freshmen learn some. Carter will finally get to show his skills day to day, I see a big season for him especially if he's picked on early by teams testing him. Thornton and Manuel will help spell Theret and Royston against power running teams, we need safeties that can smack down big backs.

I think its vital to the offense that the QB running has to be a serious part of the offense, it opens so much. At the very least, it forces a defender to pay attention to the QB. I'd love to see some option thrown into the mix. That of course depends on Gray getting fumbling under control.

If Gray is the starter, does Weber just have the job as backup QB, or can we get some other use out of him on the field. He'd probably play in Wildcat, of course, but if we can get good use out of him for his last year, we should do that.

QB: Gray / Weber
RB: Eskridge / Bennett
FB: Hoese

TE: Eure
WR: McKnight
Slot: Stoudemire

LT: Michel
LG: Olson
C: Wynn
RG: Davis
RT: Wills