Each Gopher turnover costs 1.778 points, and other depressing news

From the Barn

Reaction score
Yeah, encouraging you to read my own blog is tacky, but I thought you all might find this interesting.

In Big Ten play the Gophers score 1.5 points per posession when they don't turn the ball over. Their defense is .278 points per possession better on possessions not immeadiately off of a turnover.

If they could get this figured out, they are a legitimate final four contender. If they don't, well, we saw the Indiana and Michigan games.

http://fromthebarn.org/2013/01/20/gophers-giving-away-golden-opportunity-to-be-a-great-team/

Interesting tidbit from the Mich site showing the league as a whole:

Team W L Tempo Off. PPP Def. PPP Eff Margin
Michigan 4 1 64 1.22 0.98 0.24
Wisconsin 4 1 60 1.04 0.91 0.13
Indiana 4 1 66 1.09 0.97 0.11
Minnesota 3 2 66 1.16 1.06 0.10
Michigan State 5 1 67 1.04 0.95 0.09
Ohio State 3 2 65 0.96 0.91 0.05
Purdue 3 2 65 0.98 0.98 0.00
Iowa 2 3 68 0.97 1.00 -0.03
Northwestern 2 4 61 0.99 1.11 -0.12
Illinois 1 4 66 0.93 1.06 -0.13
Nebraska 1 5 62 0.85 1.01 -0.17
Penn State 0 6 64 0.87 1.07 -0.21

yeah, if we could just take the first reasonably good shot that presents itself, we'd be far better off...Players have to change their mindset...No more risky plays where someone trys to drive and feather a bounce pass thru 3 opponents. Just hoist something on the iron and if it doesn't go in, we've got 2 studs who can slam it home.

Yeah, encouraging you to read my own blog is tacky, but I thought you all might find this interesting.

In Big Ten play the Gophers score 1.5 points per posession when they don't turn the ball over. Their defense is .278 points per possession better on possessions not immeadiately off of a turnover.

If they could get this figured out, they are a legitimate final four contender. If they don't, well, we saw the Indiana and Michigan games.

http://fromthebarn.org/2013/01/20/gophers-giving-away-golden-opportunity-to-be-a-great-team/

Coach wants them to be aggressive. When they are not aggressive we see what happens to them; see Indiana first half. Turnovers are a bi-product of that aggressive and some of it is bound to take place. The bad stuff is what we are getting in key games by the bench.

I actually saw a team being foolishly agressive against Indiana and an absolute dunk fest by the hoosiers.

By the logic of aggressive = turnovers, then Penn State is uber-agressive too, but they aren't. The Gophers are just too sloppy. only 9 teams in the country have the ball stolen more often. No one is claiming that teams like North Florida have the ball stolen because they are agressive.

Agreed. I really like this team except for the turnovers. Those have been an issue all season long and somehow have to get that straightened out. Defense has been extremely poor the last two games as well. Could be because we played two top-5 teams, but the guys did a lot of standing around defensively it seemed.

Coach wants them to be aggressive. When they are not aggressive we see what happens to them; see Indiana first half. Turnovers are a bi-product of that aggressive and some of it is bound to take place. The bad stuff is what we are getting in key games by the bench.

There is a difference between turnovers that come from aggressive play and turnovers that are lazy/sloppy/stupid. This team has had more than its share of each. I am ok with the first kind. If we try a difficult pass upcourt that would lead to an easy dunk if completed and it gets picked off, we gambled and lost, and that is fine. If we lob some soft pass on top of the key for no reason besides we are too lazy to make a crisp pass, and it gets picked off for an easy dunk the other way, that is two points we gave away for nothing.

Top Bottom