E-mail from Gopher Sports lists Gator Bowl and BWW Bowl as options?

gophers141

Reaction score
I received an e-mail from this morning Gopher Sports asking for fans to give feedback for which bowl game they would most likely attend.

Do they know something we don't?

I think they want to know what bowl game they should put their effort into lobbying and this is just another metric they can use.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. They are probably just trying to sell themselves to those two bowls. We can't go any lower than the Texas Bowl so there is no point in wasting their time talking to those guys.

No need to woo Houston with "possible" ticket sales with data that holds no weight. Getting fans to make an actual deposit that would impress bowl reps would likely be a disaster with this fanbase for a variety of reasons.

I would go to either place have relatives in Arizona so would rather go to Tempe

I received an e-mail from this morning Gopher Sports asking for fans to give feedback for which bowl game they would most likely attend. I want the best football game possible and the chance not to go to Houston. They don't want us and we don't want to go to Houston two years in a row. Gator bowl is waste of time in my opinion they are pretty clear they are going to select Michigan or Iowa over us anyways.

Would we like to go to the Gator bowl yes, but realistically we all know they are planning on jumping us already so why not play our cards right. I would think Teague knows he has a chance to make some phone calls with BWW and we would have a good shot of going to Arizona. Strategically we should target the Arizona game, Gator bowl is a waste of time, and the redneck Riviera is not my idea of Florida beaches in Jacsonville in a huge stadium that will be full of Georgia fans.

Do they know something we don't?
Our best chance is to pull some strings with the BWW bowl committee. To me this is the way we need to see if we can stir some alumni influence.
I think the Gophers AD could have a chance to pull some strings with BWW bowl committee. With BWW being a Minnesota company we have to have some Alumni in their upper ranks that we could try to pull some strings to get selected there. It is time to play politics and pull some Minnesota style Shenanigans. Those fan bases think they will jump us for sure but we might have an Ace in the hole.
I want to go to the BWW because for the simple fact we know the Gator bowl is going to select Michigan or Iowa over us anyways. Our best chance not to end up in Houston for the second year is to get the BWW invite and a chance to play a better Big 12 opponent. For me this is the key playing a better Big12 confernce opponent. There is no appeal to go to Houston this year.

My preference would be Tempe because I could kill two birds with one stone, and visit relatives in Arizona.
That and with Alumni base in Arizona and snow birds I would have to think more Minnesotans would be at the game in Arizona. Yeah it is on NFL network for TV but it is the only thing going that night bowl wise and a lot of people have cable or satellite dish these days. The game is on Friday so you could be back in time for work the next week. We need to use some inside influence to pass Michigan, Iowa or Nebraska to BWW, this is the only way to get it done. Bowl politics are slimey anyways, and I want to see my Gophers play Texas, let's get Lou Nane and Nancy Carlson(past Alumni president) and Pinky McNamara and Harvey Mckay on the horn with Buffalo Wild Wings Executives, we have some pull that those other University's might not have within our Alumni base. Time to show the world that Minnesota can pull off the inside straight, and get the BWW bowl invite. I want to beat the Texas Longhorns, playing the Rouser against those Chodes would bring the Minnesota fans out. We can get people out to Arizona, and we can sell the tickets this time, I think our fan base is a little more motivated to travel. Let's get Minnesota to Arizona and beat those Longhorns. Texas is a team we can run the football on and playing Texas is good for recruiting. If you think about it logically BWW is the way to go this year.

While I would love it, BWW would need to pass on two of Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska for us to go there. Not going to happen if history is any indication.

Yeah it is on NFL network for TV but it is the only thing going that night bowl wise and a lot of people have cable or satellite dish these days.

The game hasn't been on NFL Network since our last appearance there in 2009 (of course the Gophers played in that game three times in the four years it was on a channel nobody got at the time). The downside to this game is a 10:15 p.m. kickoff Eastern time.

I'd be ecstatic if we got into the BWW Bowl - I'll be at my brother-in-law's in Scottsdale the 26th-30th!!!

The game hasn't been on NFL Network since our last appearance there in 2009 (of course the Gophers played in that game three times in the four years it was on a channel nobody got at the time). The downside to this game is a 10:15 p.m. kickoff Eastern time.

So an 8:15 local time kickoff. Weather in the desert is mild days and cool nights - average high is 65 and average low is 44 - so bringing a couple layers would be in order. I hope this isn't an academic discussion and we actually have a chance at this.

My bad, I guess I was remembering the past. Anyways, it's a Friday after Christmas and easier to get the time off and be back by January to work so for me our Alumni base and connections is something we need to work. We can get the butts in the seats to Arizona, going back to Houston is worse case scenario for all of the Minnesota base so let's work the political channels and get this thing done people. My boss is a Longhorns Alumn so it would be especially sweet to beat her squad. If you don't think Arizona is the way to answer you are kidding yourself. We want to play Texas and get our shot at them. Gophers have a much better shot of playing politics to go to BWW then we do chancing a shot at Gator bowl.
That and I think Gopher fans would travel to Arizona this time especially the older Alumns. To heck with Jacksonville let's party in Tempe and go kick some Texas Longhorn butt.

I think they will have to eat the unsold tickets to either bowl so they are deciding how big of a guarantee they can swallow to get into one of the bigger bowls.

This gets us back to the bowl problem that plagues all teams. The tickets the school gets are terrible and only the most senior alums don't know about stub hub.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> received results from initial survey on interest for BWW and Gator Bowl. Would sell at least 3,000 tickets. But BWW not in picture.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/407918423469850624">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The Gator Bowl is our destiny. How else could one explain why The Mitch Leidner High School (Lakeville North) Marching Band is playing there? :cool02:

I think they will have to eat the unsold tickets to either bowl so they are deciding how big of a guarantee they can swallow to get into one of the bigger bowls.

This gets us back to the bowl problem that plagues all teams. The tickets the school gets are terrible and only the most senior alums don't know about stub hub.

Yep, there you have it. We'll complain and whine to high heaven about how the Gophers always get screwed because we don't travel well. Yet when we get a chance to prove them wrong we'll head to the internet to save some bucks rather than buying tickets through the U.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> received results from initial survey on interest for BWW and Gator Bowl. Would sell at least 3,000 tickets. But BWW not in picture.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/407918423469850624">December 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I disagree with Marcus, we have the alumni base to get more than the 3,000 that responded. A lot of people are waiting on the bowl selection. I received the initial survey and didn't answer but will respond to the BWW one today. Gator bowl is a pipe dream, more so than BWW.

Done, I answered BWW. Some may say this is a pipe dream also but to me we have a better shot to go here than Gator, and I'm not going to Houston. Now Ad Teague, needs to get on the horn with the Alumni association and Marylin Carlson Nelson and Lou Nane, and or Harvey McKay, find out who we need to grease at Buffalo Wild Wings to get to Tempe. Where there is a will there is a way.
Hell I would even pledge to buy several BWW gift cards if we can get Minnesota to Tempe, and I doubt I'm alone. We can put dollars in those guy's pockets as well as those other fan bases, we just have to get a chance to prove so this year.

Newest survey completed. I believe I can find a way to go to either game. It will be tricky, but very fun and worth it.

Yep, there you have it. We'll complain and whine to high heaven about how the Gophers always get screwed because we don't travel well. Yet when we get a chance to prove them wrong we'll head to the internet to save some bucks rather than buying tickets through the U.

It is a weird problem. You want your fan base to be 'thickest' in the grad years 1960-1980 because that is the group that is most likely to go with the University tickets. The remaining motivation for younger fans to buy through the university is to 1) sit with fans of my team and 2) support the school and the travel perception. It is a long way to go to sit in crappy seats.

Personally, I would like to see the Universities/Bowls find other ways to measure travel (zip codes of ticket buyers through the ticket office?).

Done, I answered BWW. Some may say this is a pipe dream also but to me we have a better shot to go here than Gator, and I'm not going to Houston. Now Ad Teague, needs to get on the horn with the Alumni association and Marylin Carlson Nelson and Lou Nane, and or Harvey McKay, find out who we need to grease at Buffalo Wild Wings to get to Tempe. Where there is a will there is a way.
Hell I would even pledge to buy several BWW gift cards if we can get Minnesota to Tempe, and I doubt I'm alone. We can put dollars in those guy's pockets as well as those other fan bases, we just have to get a chance to prove so this year.

I would take the BWW Bowl in a heartbeat as well. I'm not going to Texas, at least it's highly unlikely. Jax? Possible. I always thought the BWW Bowl was highly unlikely though, and I don't think that's changed.

Read between the lines.We are not getting the Gator bowl bid.

"More today from the Gator Bowl prez after their committee's final meeting prior to selection day. A courtesy mention of Minnesota:

"“What came out of the meeting is that our ideal choices seem to be either Georgia or Texas A&M against either Michigan [7-5] or Nebraska [8-4],” said Gator Bowl Association president Rick Catlett. “Our feeling is that we can’t miss this year and no matter how it turns out, it will be a matchup that will have nationwide appeal.”

Catlett said LSU (9-3) and Minnesota (8-4) are still possibilities"

Gophers needed to beat MSU to avoid this fiasco that is why Saturdays loss was kind of a blow. Most of us do not want to go to Houston because of the long drive to stadium and high airfare rates, plus Texas Tech fans.
To me the only way to avoid Houston is to try and pull some strings to BWW. The only way the Gator bowl takes us is if Michigan or Nebraska are not available. This would take MSU winning and OSU taking up second BCS spot or close MSU loss with at large BCS bid anyways.

Even if we had beat MSU, I honestly don't think the Gator Bowl would take us. There's a good chance we would still end up in the Texas Bowl.

If we end up at the BWW bowl I would go. I live down here anyway so it would be a great excuse to go watch some college football!! :D

I would like to go to a Rose Bowl instead. That's just me.

The Gator Bowl is our destiny. How else could one explain why The Mitch Leidner High School (Lakeville North) Marching Band is playing there? :cool02:

*The Cole Banham High School.

Leidner went to South ;)

The email question is a cheap and easy way to poll fans on a bowl preference, but the answers are pretty unscientific and it's doubtful the BW3 Bowl would put much weight in the data. Anyone can say, "I'd like to go to the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl", but answering an email and actually buying tickets is another. matter

The politics of which bowl can pick which team escape me at this time, but if the Outback Bowl has a chance to take Nebraska instead of Iowa, would it do so? Nebraska has never gone bowling in Tampa. It would be a new team for the game and a new city with nice weather for the traveling Husker fans. In that case, the next bowl in line for Iowa is the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. If selected, the Hawkeyes would be making a third appearance in four years in Tempe. I doubt the Gophers have a shot, but if a chance at sneaking into Arizona with help from some local corporate love exists, this might be it.

BWW is itching to get Nebraska for a rematch against an old Big12 rival. No way they are passing up that opportunity. Then it comes down to Michigan/Minnesota for the Gator. If Michigan had gotten the doors blown off against OSU we might have a chance.

We needed to win 1 of the final 2. It sucks but until we get sustained success it is what it is.

Even if we had beat MSU, I honestly don't think the Gator Bowl would take us. There's a good chance we would still end up in the Texas Bowl.

Not to mention that if we had beaten Michigan State, and if Ohio State beats them next week, we might only get one Big Ten team into the BCS, which would knock us down another bowl slot.

If the Gophers were two games clear of Michigan I believe they would have had to select them ahead of Michigan. Only Iowa and Nebraska could have passed the Gophers in that case.

Top Bottom