E. Illinois Kickoff 6:00pm

The 6pm start means 1-hour less of tailgating in comparison to a 7pm game. I think that is a big deal and should be bitched about.

Somebody gets it! Also guarantees a significantly less than full stadium for the season kickoff due to work and traffic issues. One hour at that time of day makes a difference.
Hope it is not 100+ degrees like last year.

This game might be the only game you can take a kid who plays Saturday football to all year. However if they have practice after school 6pm could make it a lot tougher. Yet another reason to be pissed about a 6 p.m. start.

Oh well, at least all of the new Big Ten fans in DC and New Jersey won't have to stay up late to watch the game.

This game might be the only game you can take a kid who plays Saturday football to all year. However if they have practice after school 6pm could make it a lot tougher. Yet another reason to be pissed about a 6 p.m. start.

What about the parents with kids who have to go to a 7pm game and won't get home until 11 or midnight or later and then have to get the kids up for school in a matter of hours...won't someone think of them?

They play kids football before Labor Day? School has started before Labor Day? Honest questions...no idea.

Oh well, at least all of the new Big Ten fans in DC and New Jersey won't have to stay up late to watch the game.

The rabid Rutgers fans are going to be up late anyway, they open at Wash. St. That game starts at 7 local time, which is 10pm in Jersey.

The 6pm start means 1-hour less of tailgating in comparison to a 7pm game. I think that is a big deal and should be bitched about.

Very good point. I just started a job out of town, so I am going to have to burn 2 vacation days for this game (and that's after pulling into the Cities at midnight after driving straight from work Wednesday evening). I'd really appreciate as many hours of tailgating as I can get in.

Somebody gets it! Also guarantees a significantly less than full stadium for the season kickoff due to work and traffic issues. One hour at that time of day makes a difference.
Hope it is not 100+ degrees like last year.

It wasn't 100+ degrees last year.

Wow! Deal with it! Some of you need to suck it up and get on with your lives. I am always struck by how different the culture is at The Daily Gopher. This isn't even on their radar but here it is blown way out proportion. It is a fair topic to discuss but the whining is over the top.:rolleyes:

What about the parents with kids who have to go to a 7pm game and won't get home until 11 or midnight or later and then have to get the kids up for school in a matter of hours...won't someone think of them?

They play kids football before Labor Day? School has started before Labor Day? Honest questions...no idea.

No. School has not started on August 28 at most schools in Minnesota.

No. School has not started on August 28 at most schools in Minnesota.

I stand corrected. They're my nephews which is why I'm in the dark. I'd guess they'd still be practicing in the evening at 13 however because nobody can drive.

What's the best (cheapest) way to get two tickets to this game? I'm going to take off work to drive up for it.

[SUB][/SUB]
Stand outside the stadium at 6:10.

Stubhub will probably have some cheapies for the game. The last few seasons I could get most non-conf games for $5-15

Edit: Stubhub has some now for this game for $11 each. Away sideline around the 15 yard line, open end.

If you work in either of the downtowns, just bring extra clothes to work (and start pregaming there, why not?) and get your butt on the light rail. Problem solved for those folks.

If you work in either of the downtowns, just bring extra clothes to work (and start pregaming there, why not?) and get your butt on the light rail. Problem solved for those folks.

There's a joke about Don's proctology career somewhere here.

Sorry to bring this wonderful thread back on topic, but does anyone know an actual justification for the 6:00 pm start? There seems to be no good reason for the U to choose it, so I suspect this what BTN wanted, even though they have no other game that night. So the 'it's for the benefit of the new Rutgers fans' isn't that far off. That kind of sucks, if you ask me.

I have some vague memory that, when they built the on-campus stadium, there were some concessions to the local neighborhood folks. Anybody know whether they have some stipulation that says weeknight games have to start earlier, so they will be done earlier and the 'neighbors" won't be bothered by noisy football fans when they're trying to get their beauty sleep.

and for Dpo - if it's 95, the weather guy from WCCO would say that "bank and car thermometers will be higher."

Sorry to bring this wonderful thread back on topic, but does anyone know an actual justification for the 6:00 pm start? There seems to be no good reason for the U to choose it, so I suspect this what BTN wanted, even though they have no other game that night. So the 'it's for the benefit of the new Rutgers fans' isn't that far off. That kind of sucks, if you ask me.

Sorry to say it, but I think you are right. They wanted as little overlap in the games as possible. That or trying not to bother folks in the neighborhood are the only logical explanations.

Sorry to say it, but I think you are right. They wanted as little overlap in the games as possible.

Ridiculous if so. That Rutgers game is on another network and all of about 2 people in NJ (or anywhere in the Eastern time zone) will care about MN-Eastern Illinois. To inconvenience 50,000 paying fans and tv viewers of both teams for no good reason is ridiculous. I hope it's the neighborhood issue. At least that makes a shred of sense.

Let's settle this here and now. I asked for it to be a 6 p.m. start so that my surgical patients can recover with a great football team on TV. Just as supper time comes and they get to enjoy their oatmeal meal. CASE CLOSED!!!

Let's settle this here and now. I asked for it to be a 6 p.m. start so that my surgical patients can recover with a great football team on TV. Just as supper time comes and they get to enjoy their oatmeal meal. CASE CLOSED!!!

Be honest, Don. You demanded a 6:00 start so you wouldn't doze off by the 3rd quarter.

To inconvenience 50,000 paying fans and tv viewers of both teams for no good reason is ridiculous. I hope it's the neighborhood issue. At least that makes a shred of sense.

So not one of the 50,000 in attendance would like to get home an hour earlier after the game?

Top Bottom