Dylan Wright - transfer portal success story

MplsGopher

Reaction score
You can already tell this kid is going to be a stud receiver for us. Maybe not quite as good as Bateman, but who knows.

Thinking that the transfer portal is going to open up more of these types of opportunities for kids:

- helmet programs take a majority of the 4/5* players
- they can't all play
- very sold player gets behind on the depth chart, so decides to transfer to a "lower" P5 program for a better chance at playing time
- becomes a star there.

Wild guess, but guessing that if DW stays at A&M, he doesn't see the field much this year?

You can already tell this kid is going to be a stud receiver for us. Maybe not quite as good as Bateman, but who knows.

Thinking that the transfer portal is going to open up more of these types of opportunities for kids:

- they can't all play
- very sold player gets behind on the depth chart, so decides to transfer to a "lower" P5 program for a better chance at playing time
- becomes a star there.

Wild guess, but guessing that if DW stays at A&M, he doesn't see the field much this year?
He’ll play on sundays for someone

This kid was super surprising. I know Ohio State was without their best CB, but he still burned whatever 5 star they had out there several times and that TD catch was spectacular. He only missed on one big time catch, I think in the 2nd Q. Bateman would have had that one.

- they can't all play
- becomes a star there.

Curious thing is Jimbo has a horrible track record of getting WRs in to the league. I think the only one currently is Auden Tate, which means the gophers have more in the league currently.

I had a feeling that Fleck wouldn’t have taken a transfer wr unless he thought he was VERY high on one. Just cause they’ve had such good luck developing guys.

I had a feeling that Fleck wouldn’t have taken a transfer wr unless he thought he was VERY high on one. Just cause they’ve had such good luck developing guys.
The only other transfer WR I remember is Randall Grimes. I forgot why he went to UNLV instead of us, but he did well his sophomore year there and apparently was suspended and is now at Weber State. I guess Yale Van Dyne transferred here too but he was a WO

They can still develop Dylan Wright. He only has a few college games under his belt. I’m not even sure if he can legally buy beer yet. He’s not a finished product by any means.

Working the portal to pick up underused guys from the most prestigious programs will be bigger and bigger part of successful team building at Minnesota as the years go on.

Our future opponents will definitely be game planning for Wright.

They can still develop Dylan Wright. He only has a few college games under his belt. I’m not even sure if he can legally buy beer yet. He’s not a finished product by any means.

Working the portal to pick up underused guys from the most prestigious programs will be bigger and bigger part of successful team building at Minnesota as the years go on.
I agree could form a hell of a team by leaning heavily on the portal.

I trust PJ and Matt with WRs. They've been spot on. if we get back CAB. Watch out teams!! Even without Mo, the team can do good air raid. I doubt 90% of the team on the rest of the season will have better D than O$U. Probably Iowa?

I agree could form a hell of a team by leaning heavily on the portal.

It's like building a JUCO-heavy team, only with superior talent and less academic and off field risks

My prediction is that in the next 5-7 years at least one or two FBS programs start to quit high school recruiting and go all in on transfer portal

I trust PJ and Matt with WRs. They've been spot on. if we get back CAB. Watch out teams!! Even without Mo, the team can do good air raid. I doubt 90% of the team on the rest of the season will have better D than O$U. Probably Iowa?
Iowa doesn’t have better talent.

Wisconsin will absolutely have a better D. Iowa is a slight unknown as they're replacing several starters. Talent-wise, there's no way they match OSU, but they might end up being better statistically. OSU actually struggled (relatively speaking) last year on D.

EDIT to add that based on what I saw last night I have a hard time imagining teams like Nebraska, PU, NW, Illinois, and Maryland slowing Minnesota's O. This could be a very 2019ish season with a long string of wins against mediocre teams based on the strength of the O...and then those critical games down the stretch. Buckle up.

Wisconsin will absolutely have a better D. Iowa is a slight unknown as they're replacing several starters. Talent-wise, there's no way they match OSU, but they might end up being better statistically. OSU actually struggled (relatively speaking) last year on D.

EDIT to add that based on what I saw last night I have a hard time imagining teams like Nebraska, PU, NW, Illinois, and Maryland slowing Minnesota's O. This could be a very 2019ish season with a long string of wins against mediocre teams based on the strength of the O...and then those critical games down the stretch. Buckle up.
I agree. Playing a very conservative offensive game plan, we rolled up over 400 yards against Ohio State. And it would have been more if the targeting was called and we kept the ball. I feel good about our offense’s ability to take over games … except against WI and IA, which generally field defenses better than OSU’s.

Agree. I’ve been scratching my head on how they haven’t developed an option behind Mo. last year and again vs OSU no one seems to be able to produce.

Agree. I’ve been scratching my head on how they haven’t developed an option behind Mo. last year and again vs OSU no one seems to be able to produce.
When has any rb been given much of a chance other than Bryce Williams in 2018?

Top Bottom