Durrell Summers dropping 3's n Rodney's face

98VQueens

Reaction score
This is what changed the game in the second half. Rodney played decent defense for the most part, if Summers would have knocked them down vs Devoe or Blake people would be throwing a $hit-fit.

I agree. Rodney gets caught watching the ball and losing his man way too often on defense. If Rodney isn't going to be aggressive on offense and look for his own shot, then Tubby needs to take him out and play Chip or Austin, IMO. I'm so sick of Rodney catching the ball at the three-point line, taking one dribble, and then just passing the ball around the perimeter. Chip can create his own shot and brings a lot of energy when he is out on the floor. Sure, he will probably make some freshman mistakes, but I'd rather have Chip out there trying to make something happen than Rodney drifting around the perimeter.

I agree. Rodney gets caught watching the ball and losing his man way too often on defense. If Rodney isn't going to be aggressive on offense and look for his own shot, then Tubby needs to take him out and play Chip or Austin, IMO.

I'm really mixed about Rodney, his defense isn't as great as people think and his offence is lacking. He's a great athlete, therefore it's assumed he is a defensive stopper, which isn't reality.

Ton's of potential, long ways to go to get there and he may never reach it.

You allow a shooter to get in a groove while playing a zone it is kind of hard to fault the defensive player after you switch to a man. By that time it is to late, I blame it on the coach.

I'm really mixed about Rodney, his defense isn't as great as people think and his offence is lacking. He's a great athlete, therefore it's assumed he is a defensive stopper, which isn't reality.

Ton's of potential, long ways to go to get there and he may never reach it.

I think about anybody on Michigan State's roster is more athletic than Rodney. Rodney can jump. He isn't strong. He doesn't appear to have a particularly quick first step, good feet, defensive ability or basketball talent. I'm glad he's on our team and he still has time to develop, but perhaps it would do Rodney well to redshirt next season (something that perhaps should have happened last season). He has a lot of developing to do.

time to stop listening to the pros who call him the most athletic player in the conference and buy into the expert analysis available here.

Paul Carter would look awfully good right now at the 3.

The Gopher line-up is mainly juniors and seniors. This means the Big 10 coaches have had two and three years to scout them and most of the Big 10 players have had two or three years playing against them.

This team has holes, coaching and playing experience can expoit those holes. NC and WV were not as well prepared to play against us.

Paul Carter

I do miss Paul Carter. He would make some foolish turnovers and get sloppy with the ball at times but he was good at taken charges and was good rebounder (per minutes played).

Carter was a good help defender its an artform he had good recovery skills to get back to his man like Damian Johnson.

Playing good D is about taken good angles and having instincts/anticipation Rodney is lacking in that area.

Rodney takes bad angles when challenging 3's. How many times has he fouled the 3 point shooter this year?

Rodney will get better he has to I got faith. I would like to know what he does in the summer. I hope he is doing more then practicing his dunks.

I would like to see Rodney work on a pull up 10-12 foot jumper. Get to a spot and rise up no one will block his shot. He also needs to stay balanced and go straight up when he shoots..

I agree. Rodney gets caught watching the ball and losing his man way too often on defense. If Rodney isn't going to be aggressive on offense and look for his own shot, then Tubby needs to take him out and play Chip or Austin, IMO. I'm so sick of Rodney catching the ball at the three-point line, taking one dribble, and then just passing the ball around the perimeter. Chip can create his own shot and brings a lot of energy when he is out on the floor. Sure, he will probably make some freshman mistakes, but I'd rather have Chip out there trying to make something happen than Rodney drifting around the perimeter.

I couldn't agree more. If Rodney can't guard on the perimeter, we should be playing Chip and Hollins in his place. We sorely missed Walker too. I think our bigs are overrated.

I was ready for some freshman yesterday in the second half. It got us going in the first half so why not try it in the second?

The Gopher line-up is mainly juniors and seniors. This means the Big 10 coaches have had two and three years to scout them and most of the Big 10 players have had two or three years playing against them.

This team has holes, coaching and playing experience can expoit those holes. NC and WV were not as well prepared to play against us.

S19, I'm sorry if this comes across as a smart ass reply because I don't really intend it that way (ok, maybe a little) but this is the first time that I've seen someone try to make a case that having a team of Juniors and Seniors is a negative. I always thought that having that experience was invaluable.

S19, I'm sorry if this comes across as a smart ass reply because I don't really intend it that way (ok, maybe a little) but this is the first time that I've seen someone try to make a case that having a team of Juniors and Seniors is a negative. I always thought that having that experience was invaluable.

I never said having a team of junior and seniors was a negative. What said was when you have players that are one or two dimensional/holes in their game(like the Gophers do) the opposing coaches and players learn to expoit that.

Hoff-'mostly' a 3 pt shooter
Nolen- let him shoot
Rodney-let him shoot
Colt-can't score from 8-10 ft
Trevor-same
Ralph-not strong inside.
defending the 3-not good

Same in all sports. How many times have you seen a player come into NFL or MLB, start out great but eventualy the opponents learn to limit their effectivness. The truely good to great ones can overcome this. Do we have any truely good to great players. I'm not sure.

A good example is Hoff, freshman year was putting up and making a ton of 3's. Teams learned to cover him tight on the perimeter and he is getting far less open looks at 3.

Same in all sports. How many times have you seen a player come into NFL or MLB, start out great but eventualy the opponents learn to limit their effectivness. The truely good to great ones can overcome this. Do we have any truely good to great players. I'm not sure.

A good example is Hoff, freshman year was putting up and making a ton of 3's. Teams learned to cover him tight on the perimeter and he is getting far less open looks at 3.
Yet, he took & made more 3's last year than he did in his freshman year, and is on pace to take & make even more this year. His scoring average was up last year from his freshman year, and his average is even up further this year.

Thus, it appears the inverse is true; the further along a player gets in their career, the more they have time to develop their game and improve. Players like Hoffarber, Damian Johnson, etc. were far better in their junior and senior seasons than their freshman year. They developed other aspects of their games that people didn't see early in their careers. Hoffarber has career highs in scoring, assists, and rebounds. I don't know how his additional experience has "limited his effectiveness."

I'd take a team of juniors and seniors every day of the week.

Yet, he took & made more 3's last year than he did in his freshman year, and is on pace to take & make even more this year. His scoring average was up last year from his freshman year, and his average is even up further this year.

Thus, it appears the inverse is true; the further along a player gets in their career, the more they have time to develop their game and improve. Players like Hoffarber, Damian Johnson, etc. were far better in their junior and senior seasons than their freshman year. They developed other aspects of their games that people didn't see early in their careers. Hoffarber has career highs in scoring, assists, and rebounds. I don't know how his additional experience has "limited his effectiveness."
I'd take a team of juniors and seniors every day of the week.[/QUOTE]

You are totally missing my point. I never said Hoff or others were better in their 1st year. What I said was coaches and players learn what the opponents are good or not good at, and game plan to those tendancies. BTW without looking up the stats I think Hoff is playing a lot more miniutes now than the was as a frosh.

I think about anybody on Michigan State's roster is more athletic than Rodney. Rodney can jump. He isn't strong. He doesn't appear to have a particularly quick first step, good feet, defensive ability or basketball talent. I'm glad he's on our team and he still has time to develop, but perhaps it would do Rodney well to redshirt next season (something that perhaps should have happened last season). He has a lot of developing to do.

There's a difference between being an athlete and being a basketball player. I heard a BTN analyst say that he'd rather recruit basketball players.

Gophers honestly need a roster overhaul..i cant wait till some of these guys are gone esp. sampson, iverson and rodney..Only players I like are our freshman, trevor and hoff. I dont care what anyone says if this team didn't have hoffarber this year we would be one of the worst teams in the big 10. No one else can score. I am hopeful for next year but would be a lot better if sampson and iverson were gone...you cant win with those two!!!! A suggestion: play chip and austin hollins as much as possible because they actually have upside!

Gophers honestly need a roster overhaul..i cant wait till some of these guys are gone esp. sampson, iverson and rodney..Only players I like are our freshman, trevor and hoff. I dont care what anyone says if this team didn't have hoffarber this year we would be one of the worst teams in the big 10. No one else can score. I am hopeful for next year but would be a lot better if sampson and iverson were gone...you cant win with those two!!!! A suggestion: play chip and austin hollins as much as possible because they actually have upside!

So you're saying give up on this year.:cool02:

No i'm not saying give up this year..obviously you still try to win..i just dont see this year being different than previous years. maybe worse. It doesnt seem like iverson and sampson have progressed at all on the offensive. How many wasted possesions are there every game where iverson or sampson either turn the ball over or shoot some stupid fade away with about 10 percent chance of it going in.....

No i'm not saying give up this year..obviously you still try to win..i just dont see this year being different than previous years. maybe worse. It doesnt seem like iverson and sampson have progressed at all on the offensive. How many wasted possesions are there every game where iverson or sampson either turn the ball over or shoot some stupid fade away with about 10 percent chance of it going in.....[/QUOTE]

A lot.

When Ralph or Colt put the ball on the floor EVERYONE knows there is a 99.9% chance they will be shooting.

The whole "development" thing is vastly overstated. Sure you have some guys who are a totally different player year to year (see Damien Johnson 1st to 2nd year on the court) but MOST players who play four years in the same system under the same coach improve incrementally. Players like Williams who have a ton of upside are the types of guys who sometimes make these vast improvements (of course I am not saying he has yet, just has the potential) but most just get a little better from year to year. I think some people have this idea that if a freshman contribute on a decent team that means they're going to be a superstar by their senior season. That's simply not reasonable or rational.

There's a difference between being an athlete and being a basketball player. I heard a BTN analyst say that he'd rather recruit basketball players.

I say you recruit a mix of both. Austin is a basketball payer and an athlete, I'm more intrigued about his upside than Rodney's.

time to stop listening to the pros who call him the most athletic player in the conference and buy into the expert analysis available here.

Yep, he is the most athletic player in the conference all right. Even though he got lit like a Christmas tree by summers all game. Rodney can dunk. His athleticism is EXTREMELY overrated. Oh knows, Rodney is the most athletic player in the Big Ten... top 5 pick. GM - Oh shi.t, rodney can't shoot the ball. Fail

Top Bottom