Dungy - Thanks but no thanks..."CFT"

Gopher737

Reaction score
Per College Football Talk:

If Brewster's canned, Dungy's at the head of the Gopher line
Posted by John Taylor on September 28, 2010 1:29 PM ET
The status of Tim Brewster as Minnesota's head coach was the subject of much rumor and speculation throughout most of the 2009 season.

While a contract extension -- with no straight raise in pay, incidentally -- quieted the talk for much of the offseason, the chatter surrounding Brewster and what may ultimately befall him is gradually growing.

Of course, the prime reason for the talk again bubbling to the surface is yet another abysmal start to a season. The Gophers stand at just 1-3, with their lone win coming by seven points to a Middle Tennessee State team down their quarterback/best player, and two of the losses coming to a Div. 1-AA (FCS) team and one from the MAC.

Additionally, there were rumors that, after being on the sidelines for the loss to USC, former Kansas head coach Mark Mangino had been hired as a consultant for Brewster. The school subsequently denied those reports.

Now, a long-time St. Paul columnist has tossed out the name of a potential replacement that's certain to add a tanker full of fuel to the speculative fire.

According to Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press, Tony Dungy will be the focus of immediate speculation if/when Brewster is fired. "And count on it -- Dungy will be the first person contacted," Walters writes.

The speculation makes sense; Dungy was arguably the school's top choice to replace Glen Mason in 2007 before settling on Brewster. Additionally, before Dungy became a household NFL name as a player with, among others, the Pittsburgh Steelers and a head coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts, he was a star quarterback for the Gophers in the mid-seventies. The 55-year-old Dungy, who currently serves as an analyst for NBC's Sunday night NFL telecasts, also coached defensive backs for the Gophers in 1980 before beginning his NFL coaching career.

There's little to doubt about Dungy's impeccable coaching pedigree, although NFL jobs dominate that stellar resume. Provided Brewster is canned -- that seems to be more a realistic possibility with each passing game -- and Waters' report is accurate, one of the stumbling blocks would likely be whether Dungy wants to even get back into the coaching game, let alone at the collegiate level. And then there's his wife; Mrs. Dungy reportedly is averse to cold weather.

So, would Dungy jump at a chance to return "home" if afforded the opportunity and his better half can acquire some quality parkas?

The deeply religious coach has wholly embraced being the teacher of and mentor to young men in his post-coaching career; what better way to accomplish what appears to be a life's mission than with 85-plus 18-22 year olds year-in and year-out?

UPDATED 2:11 p.m. ET: Dungy made an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show earlier Tuesday, and attempted to blast a big hole in the speculation connecting him to Minnesota.

"I'm loving my time at Football Night in America," Dungy said. "I have too much on my plate to think about any coaching jobs, including my alma mater."

Of course, that's the tune Dungy's singing right now, with no job offer on the table. Could it change if the opportunity was actually available? Certainly, although it appears will be fine right where he's at, regardless of of future coaching opportunities being thrown at his feet.

Without Peyton Manning and Tom Moore, Tony Dungy would have been an average coach.. he is boring, and couldn't recruit IMO and his TV performances are so lame i can't watch. J Gruden is younger and has that "fire" to both recruit and coach

Still holding out hope for Vince Lombardi.

Without Peyton Manning and Tom Moore, Tony Dungy would have been an average coach.. he is boring, and couldn't recruit IMO and his TV performances are so lame i can't watch. J Gruden is younger and has that "fire" to both recruit and coach

Wow....

you are better off putting the Doc on ignore then to try and understand his thinking..... just look at his previous posts...

Speaking of Darwin, how did doc ever survive natural selection?

If Dungy came back and coached here all the Coaches in the Big Ten would be worried. I dont think he would have a problem getting recruits at all, he is freakin Tony Dungy, kids will line up to play for that guy. As great as it would be I dont think it will happen.

Can we just let this Dungy thing go, Please!!

This is whats gonna happen since i can see the future. Dungy is gonna coach the Gophers for the next 10 years lead us to 8 national titles. then run for president and get 12 years in office. yes i said 12 since he is the savior of everything. He will then become the leader of the UN and take over the world.

if he gets hired it all its going to be to hire a coach or help hire a coach, which imo would be great! Dungy for AD? :D

I think what MBA meant was that there is the same chance of Dungy being coach as Lombardi being coach. He's dead on.

What the hell's going on around here....famous Vince Lombardi quote

Still holding out hope for Vince Lombardi.

Thanks. Now I'm cleaning Diet Dr. Pepper that just shot through my nose off my keyboard. That was a great way to start the day! Well played sir.

If we see them holding a seance at the Bierman Building this evening, we'll know the football higher-ups read this board.

Top Bottom