Dumb volleyball questions …

(R)uffda!

Reaction score
… you have been too embarrassed to ask (credit VolleyTalk).

I’ll start. Can we call them liberi now that there are two?

Every sport with rules subject to interpretation — fouls in basketball, holding in football, double contacts or catches in volleyball for example — are inherently asking for trouble. In and out in volleyball, out of bounds in football, safe or out in baseball, for example, are much easier to ref. Throws are difficult because where do you draw the line?

I know where I’d draw the line — ban them all.

Just be thankful our rules aren’t as impossible to ref as football’s. And that they aren’t all subjective like gymnastics and ice skating.

Throws are difficult because where do you draw the line?
I don’t think it’s difficult at all: “the volleyball must reasonably separate from the hand/fingers at the point of contact immediately”.

Make it challenge-able. Easier to see in slow-mo when players cheat.

This disgusting trend needs to be annihilated.

Again, where do you draw the line (and slow motion helps how)? I think if you wouldn’t allow it as a contact between teammates, why is it OK to do it as a contact to the opponents’ side?

Here’s one: why don’t more teams set a higher ball to the middle?

Again, where do you draw the line (and slow motion helps how)?
The answer is the same as the answer to how do you draw the line on a touch call. That’s why we have human refs. That’s fine.

The important thing is that a coach needs to be able to challenge when a player cheats by throwing the ball down, as is sadly becoming commonplace.

Here’s one: why don’t more teams set a higher ball to the middle?
Why would you want to take pressure off the opposing middle blocker?

Top Bottom