Duke Lacrosse

gopherhoopsguy

Reaction score
How do these early findings compare to the Duke Lacrosse findings early on?

Are we headed down this road? Because I remember everyone getting pissed off about the Lacrosse players then having to change there tune.

There are major differences. The two incidents are not very comparable. In the Duke scandal, the sexual contact never actually happened. In this instance, it is not disputed that all of those sex acts with many players actually occurred. As far as the upfront institutional response, Duke fired the coach, kicked the players off the team and canceled the entire season. In this instance, the players were held out just long enough to get cleared even though they probably should have been dismissed right away for violating team rules. Unless encouraging group sex with a 17 year old recruit is not covered by the rules. In addition, in this instance I think Claeys and Coyle should be dismissed as well.

Gotta respectfully disagree Catecholamine. Both - at their cores - are about the presumption of guilt until proof of innocence.

There are major differences. The two incidents are not very comparable. In the Duke scandal, the sexual contact never actually happened. In this instance, it is not disputed that all of those sex acts with many players actually occurred. As far as the upfront institutional response, Duke fired the coach, kicked the players off the team and canceled the entire season. In this instance, the players were held out just long enough to get cleared even though they probably should have been dismissed right away for violating team rules. Unless encouraging group sex with a 17 year old recruit is not covered by the rules. In addition, in this instance I think Claeys and Coyle should be dismissed as well.

Well. . . no.

In this case, there is a dispute as to whether a sexual assault occurred.
In that case, there was a dispute as to whether a sexual assault occurred.

In both cases, the school tried to hide behind "student conduct policies" (drinking, behaving poorly, etc.).

Duke is a private school, so slightly different implications.

The recruit thing. . .yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if people got in trouble for the recruit. That would obviously be a bit of a weasel-y move. . .they've known the details regarding the recruit for months.

Gotta respectfully disagree Catecholamine. Both - at their cores - are about the presumption of guilt until proof of innocence.

The people that hold strongly to that side of the argument do not care whether it was consensual. The entire thing is about consent, not sexual contact.

I do agree with that, but only as it applies to the initial suspensions. It is at that point that the Duke players and coach were let go. The Gopher players were allowed to play the rest of the season while the EOAA conducted their investigation, thus as far as the current suspensions/expulsions they were not treated as guilty until the report was completed.

Had they just kicked the initial 4 off the team at the time of the initial suspension for team rules, this entire situation may have defused. I think the whole dimension with the recruit being there (having sex and reportedly drunk) got kind of lost in the shuffle but probably should have been grounds for dismissal from the team immediately due to being underage, potential NCAA implications etc.

The entire thing is about consent, not sexual contact.

Totally. And these guys - just like the Duke guys - have been labeled as rapists without a preponderance of evidence.

Totally. And these guys - just like the Duke guys - have been labeled as rapists without a preponderance of evidence.
Just good boys railin hoes, sharing some home movies.

Just good boys railin hoes, sharing some home movies.

Whether or not you agree with that kind of behavior, one is sexual assault and the other one is not. The Duke Lacrosse players were not exactly being choir boys either.

Comments like these really downplay actual sexual assault.

They are crass jerks either way, Bob. Ask any woman your life if she wants to be mounted 5 to 20 times while menstruating by strangers, and see how that goes. This is Unicorn territory. And what makes it really hard to believe.

I don't really feel like being that charitable. I don't make decisions at the U. But I don't care if you can Catch or throw a ball. This was super dumb.

Wasn't basically just Djam around when the recruit was involved? If so then no one else would be part of that issue.

Top Bottom