Dueling columns | Should Penn State football have its White Out against Ohio State or Minnesota?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Spencer:

A White Out during the day isn’t a White Out​

By Spencer Ripchik

Penn State’s 2022 White Out opponent is up in the air, and signs are pointing to it being either Ohio State with a noon kickoff or Minnesota under the lights.

In 2021, the Nittany Lions picked SEC opponent Auburn for the White Out, moving away from its eight-year tradition of having the White Out be either Michigan or Ohio State.

There should be no problem having Minnesota be the opponent, as Penn State already mixed it up by throwing Auburn into the mix.

The 2021 Michigan kickoff was at noon, so Penn State decided to have the SEC-Big Ten bout be Penn State’s biggest game because there’s no better time for the coined “Greatest Show in College Sports” than prime time.

Penn State’s White Out this year should remain in prime time, setting it up for a matchup of East and West with the Nittany Lions taking on the Golden Gophers on Oct. 22.

In previous years, Penn State had a history with Ohio State thanks to the 2016 White Out win, bringing the blue and white back into the spotlight.

However, there’s some more recent history between the Nittany Lions and the Golden Gophers.

In 2019, Penn State was marching through the Big Ten, heading into a road matchup with Minnesota at 8-0 with a No. 4 ranking next to its name.

The Nittany Lions were in the Top 4 and just had four more opponents in the way of their first College Football Playoff bid.

Minnesota didn’t care if Penn State was rolling because the Golden Gophers came out swinging, upsetting the Nittany Lions 31-26.

After the loss, Penn State lost to Ohio State in Columbus, which knocked the Nittany Lions out of playoff contention.

If the blue and white avoided the upset then, a one-loss Penn State team had a really good shot at making the playoff.

The 2019 showdown was also the first and only meeting between quarterbacks Tanner Morgan and Sean Clifford, and now in 2022, both quarterbacks are back for their final season.

This time it will be different, with Penn State and Clifford looking for revenge and a home-field advantage, and there’s no way to have more of a home-field advantage than attaching a White Out to it.

The Nittany Lions added Auburn to its list of teams it has beaten during the White Out in 2022. Minnesota has never faced Penn State during a White Out, so the Golden Gophers could be another victim added to the five it already has in tow.

The Golden Gophers have six opponents before the Nittany Lions with their biggest challenger being Michigan State on the road, so there could be a chance Minnesota heads to Happy Valley undefeated, adding more juice to the game.

From the opponent's point of view, there are about the same amount of storylines for Penn State-Minnesota as for Penn State-Ohio State.

Other than the history between the two teams, a White Out during the day is not a true White Out.

The white shirts of the fans contrast the best under the night sky, and the fans are more amped up for a night game than a noon kickoff. Not to mention the White Out’s fireworks wouldn’t work quite the same under the sun.

For a noon kickoff, fans have to wake up early in the morning to get down to Beaver Stadium, leaving less time to tailgate and get ready for the game, too.

A night game allows for the fans to have the whole day to tailgate and get pumped for the White Out.

Penn State’s three least-attended home games in 2021 were during the day in Ball State, Villanova and Illinois.

The Nittany Lions want as many fans there as possible, so the best way to do that is to have the kickoff later in the day.

Ohio State and Penn State may have bigger history, but there’s also history with Clifford and Morgan going at it again.

A noon kickoff is not what the White Out was built for. It was made to have the most eyes on it as possible, and the only way to do so is under the lights in prime time.

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone else seen any confirmation that this is a night game?

It is listed as TBD on the b10 site, Gophersports and the official PSU sites.

per Spencer:

By Spencer Ripchik

Penn State’s 2022 White Out opponent is up in the air, and signs are pointing to it being either Ohio State with a noon kickoff or Minnesota under the lights.

In 2021, the Nittany Lions picked SEC opponent Auburn for the White Out, moving away from its eight-year tradition of having the White Out be either Michigan or Ohio State.

There should be no problem having Minnesota be the opponent, as Penn State already mixed it up by throwing Auburn into the mix.

The 2021 Michigan kickoff was at noon, so Penn State decided to have the SEC-Big Ten bout be Penn State’s biggest game because there’s no better time for the coined “Greatest Show in College Sports” than prime time.

Penn State’s White Out this year should remain in prime time, setting it up for a matchup of East and West with the Nittany Lions taking on the Golden Gophers on Oct. 22.

In previous years, Penn State had a history with Ohio State thanks to the 2016 White Out win, bringing the blue and white back into the spotlight.

However, there’s some more recent history between the Nittany Lions and the Golden Gophers.

In 2019, Penn State was marching through the Big Ten, heading into a road matchup with Minnesota at 8-0 with a No. 4 ranking next to its name.

The Nittany Lions were in the Top 4 and just had four more opponents in the way of their first College Football Playoff bid.

Minnesota didn’t care if Penn State was rolling because the Golden Gophers came out swinging, upsetting the Nittany Lions 31-26.

After the loss, Penn State lost to Ohio State in Columbus, which knocked the Nittany Lions out of playoff contention.

If the blue and white avoided the upset then, a one-loss Penn State team had a really good shot at making the playoff.

The 2019 showdown was also the first and only meeting between quarterbacks Tanner Morgan and Sean Clifford, and now in 2022, both quarterbacks are back for their final season.

This time it will be different, with Penn State and Clifford looking for revenge and a home-field advantage, and there’s no way to have more of a home-field advantage than attaching a White Out to it.

The Nittany Lions added Auburn to its list of teams it has beaten during the White Out in 2022. Minnesota has never faced Penn State during a White Out, so the Golden Gophers could be another victim added to the five it already has in tow.

The Golden Gophers have six opponents before the Nittany Lions with their biggest challenger being Michigan State on the road, so there could be a chance Minnesota heads to Happy Valley undefeated, adding more juice to the game.

From the opponent's point of view, there are about the same amount of storylines for Penn State-Minnesota as for Penn State-Ohio State.

Other than the history between the two teams, a White Out during the day is not a true White Out.

The white shirts of the fans contrast the best under the night sky, and the fans are more amped up for a night game than a noon kickoff. Not to mention the White Out’s fireworks wouldn’t work quite the same under the sun.

For a noon kickoff, fans have to wake up early in the morning to get down to Beaver Stadium, leaving less time to tailgate and get ready for the game, too.

A night game allows for the fans to have the whole day to tailgate and get pumped for the White Out.

Penn State’s three least-attended home games in 2021 were during the day in Ball State, Villanova and Illinois.

The Nittany Lions want as many fans there as possible, so the best way to do that is to have the kickoff later in the day.

Ohio State and Penn State may have bigger history, but there’s also history with Clifford and Morgan going at it again.

A noon kickoff is not what the White Out was built for. It was made to have the most eyes on it as possible, and the only way to do so is under the lights in prime time.

Go Gophers!!
the fact that this is even a discussion makes me smile and is a sign of progress. Can't wait til we beat them again this fall

Has anyone else seen any confirmation that this is a night game?

It is listed as TBD on the b10 site, Gophersports and the official PSU sites.
It's the PSU college newspaper, so take that into account. Might have been some assumptions being made.

People groan about the Bell, but in the last 30 years since the Nits joined the Big Ten, we've had as many great games with them as any other school, in spite of not playing every year.
Totally. 2019 was one of the single greatest sporting moments in my life.

But do you remember when we were undefeated and rolling in 2016 going into that game and took them to OT on the road? We were a Kunle Ayinde arm-tackle of Saquan Barkley away from winning that one. After that game, PSU rolled through the rest of the season and went on to win the B1G championship and Rose Bowl, cementing James Franklin as a savior coach.

I always wonder what the alternate-universe timeline would be if we won that game. We would have been 9-3 (2nd in the West) going into post-season. Claeys' fate was likely already sealed regardless, but PSU may have been held out of Indy, meaning OSU would have went as 1st in the East. OSU would have beat WI in the B1G Championship, but went to CFP and WI would have went to the Rose Bowl.

I also think about the 2003 Michigan game. If we hang on in the 4th quarter and the rest of season played out the same, we would have been in a 4-way tie for first in the B1G and gone to the Rose Bowl since they selected the team with the longest drought.

The only cure for obsessing over Rose Bowl what-ifs is for the Gophers to just go to the damn Rose Bowl already!

what year did the Gophers win the Bell, only to promptly drop it and break the dumb thing?

I care more about the $5 Bits of Broken Chair than I do about the bleepin' Victory Bell.

what year did the Gophers win the Bell, only to promptly drop it and break the dumb thing?

I care more about the $5 Bits of Broken Chair than I do about the bleepin' Victory Bell.
We didn't drop it, it was windy that day and the bell was blown off it's stand on the Penn State sideline and "broke" and was put back together, and then when the team was hoisting it up it "broke" again on TV so everyone blames the team.

We didn't drop it, it was windy that day and the bell was blown off it's stand on the Penn State sideline and "broke" and was put back together, and then when the team was hoisting it up it "broke" again on TV so everyone blames the team.

looks like someone made the thing as part of a HS shop class assignment.

And got a "C" for a grade.

But do you remember when we were undefeated and rolling in 2016 going into that game and took them to OT on the road? We were a Kunle Ayinde arm-tackle of Saquan Barkley away from winning that one. After that game, PSU rolled through the rest of the season and went on to win the B1G championship and Rose Bowl, cementing James Franklin as a savior coach.

I always wonder what the alternate-universe timeline would be if we won that game. We would have been 9-3 (2nd in the West) going into post-season. Claeys' fate was likely already sealed regardless, but PSU may have been held out of Indy, meaning OSU would have went as 1st in the East. OSU would have beat WI in the B1G Championship, but went to CFP and WI would have went to the Rose Bowl.

I also think about the 2003 Michigan game. If we hang on in the 4th quarter and the rest of season played out the same, we would have been in a 4-way tie for first in the B1G and gone to the Rose Bowl since they selected the team with the longest drought.

The only cure for obsessing over Rose Bowl what-ifs is for the Gophers to just go to the damn Rose Bowl already!
Yes! The 2016 Penn State game was so under-appreciated and was almost quietly one of the best wins of the century for the Gophers. Nobody thought much of it because it was early season, Penn State already had two losses (Pitt and at #4 Michigan) and Minnesota hadn't beaten anyone significant yet. We thought it was not much of an upset when the Gophs led most of the way in Happy Valley because that would be loss #3 for Penn State. But they later went on to win out, beat OSU, win the Big Ten title, and go to the Rose Bowl.

One of many great games with Penn State over the years.

Yes! The 2016 Penn State game was so under-appreciated and was almost quietly one of the best wins of the century for the Gophers. Nobody thought much of it because it was early season, Penn State already had two losses (Pitt and at #4 Michigan) and Minnesota hadn't beaten anyone significant yet. We thought it was not much of an upset when the Gophs led most of the way in Happy Valley because that would be loss #3 for Penn State. But they later went on to win out, beat OSU, win the Big Ten title, and go to the Rose Bowl.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure we were leading at halftime of every game we lost in 2016.

EDIT: I verified myself

PSU we were up 13-3
Iowa 7-6
Nebraska 17-10
Wisconsin 17-7

The PSU and Wisconsin losses were especially heartbreaking.

trophy1.0.jpg
It was 2013. Part of a Gophers 4 game Big Ten winning streak.

Last edited:

In some ways I consider the Chair our best trophy. It's the best modern trophy in CFB and has such a wonderful backstory and the illicit nature of it all...

Penn State was spiraling heading into that game, think Michigan pounded them the week before, I think a loss there would have doomed Franklin, much like Hoke and Pelini in 2014, where as I think a win for us, I think we go into that Iowa game with a different mind set and level of confidence. That win completely turned their season and Franklin's tenure around.

per Spencer:

By Spencer Ripchik

Go Gophers!!
PSU and OSU don't play for a prized trophy like the Governor's Victory Bell. Should be a no-brainer!

Exactly.... And it's good to be chosen to be a rival at an event like this than as another team's homecoming opponent which happened far too often in the past. Sign of progress!
We are Penn State’s homecoming game

Although, if we beat them and James Franklin is let go after week 7-8 and then they finish with 5 losses it wouldn’t be.

I thought I remembered James Franklin kind of being in put up or shut up mode at that point, that the fan base was losing confidence in him. As previously pointed out, we had a two possession lead at half time, but we also totally neutered Saquon Barkley. He had 63 yards rushing for the game, 25 of which came on the game winning touchdown in overtime. We also kicked a field goal to take a 3 point lead with under a minute to go. It felt like we were the better team and just needed to finish up taking care of business. I suppose that’s how Georgia Southern felt in 2019.

Watching a short highlight video, I’d forgotten that was the game that Jaylen Waters blocked their big kicker Joey Julius and got ejected to a raucous chorus of boos. There’s even a fan flipping him the bird on the BTN highlights as he walks off lol.

Last edited:

Excited for this game as I may be going. If you see a dot of maroon amongst all them diapers on the 50 yard line on their home team side on TV, that may be me! 😆

I thought I remembered James Franklin kind of being in put up or shut up mode at that point, that the fan base was losing confidence in him. As previously pointed out, we had a two possession lead at half time, but we also totally neutered Saquon Barkley. He had 63 yards rushing for the game, 25 of which came on the game winning touchdown in overtime. We also kicked a field goal to take a 3 point lead with under a minute to go. It felt like we were the better team and just needed to finish up taking care of business. I suppose that’s how Georgia Southern felt in 2019.

Watching a short highlight video, I’d forgotten that was the game that Jaylen Waters blocked their big kicker Joey Julius and got ejected to a raucous chorus of boos. There’s even a fan flipping him the bird on the BTN highlights as he walks off lol.
Still don’t really get why he was ejected
The national media made a big point about how he covered on kickoffs.
He was getting blocked during the play. To this day I haven’t seen an angle of him getting hit when the play was over.

Even if he did, that’s a 15 yard penalty for blocking after the whistle not an ejection.

He didn’t cover on kicks the rest of the year and just acted like a normal kicker. So you’re welcome big ten

Still don’t really get why he was ejected
The national media made a big point about how he covered on kickoffs.
He was getting blocked during the play. To this day I haven’t seen an angle of him getting hit when the play was over.

Even if he did, that’s a 15 yard penalty for blocking after the whistle not an ejection.

He didn’t cover on kicks the rest of the year and just acted like a normal kicker. So you’re welcome big ten
This play was clearly one of my highlights of the year. I was sorry to see Walters ejected as well. But it was worth it in my opinion as yes he was in on plays throughout the year.

IIRC That was the play that awakened the sleeping bear. They played inspired after that and we tensed up.:(

IIRC That was the play that awakened the sleeping bear. They played inspired after that and we tensed up.:(
On a Pair and a Spare podcast episode, JG mentioned he was on the sideline for that game and the PSU fans were relentless after the Jaylen Waters play, yelling about how Gophers lacked class. To which, he remarked "Really? Aren't we in the house Paterno/Sandusky built?"

Top Bottom