Duck Duck Beers Sightings

Bought my first 12 pack last night to try. It's definitely not a style of beer I would normally buy. But it is drinkable and I'm sure it will disappear if I put it in the cooler on Saturday.

Now if we lose players to other schools who can offer bigger NIL deals, I can at least say I did my part. :ROFLMAO:

Contact Gray Duck, they said they have no plans to sell out of state any time soon. Claimed TOO EXPENSIVE to sale out of state.
Where in the world (outside of Minnesota) would there be a sufficient market for a beer that's only differentiating characteristic is that it donates a portion of the sale proceeds to an entity that has as its sole purpose supporting student-athletes at the University of Minnesota?

Where in the world (outside of Minnesota) would there be a sufficient market for a beer that's only differentiating characteristic is that it donates a portion of the sale proceeds to an entity that has as its sole purpose supporting student-athletes at the University of Minnesota?
I mean the NIL deal is only important to us, but if DDB is a “great tasting” beer, then words can get out and out of state people could eventually ramp up for demand.

Case in point, when I lived in New Orleans, I was introduced to their local beer, Abita beer (Abita Amber to be specific) and loved it. I then introduced Abita to all of my friends and family who had visited me while I was in NO, now they all love it and still tells me that they have seen it and drank them in their respective states.

Further, when I moved to Pittsburgh, I was introduced to their local beer, Yuengling Lager and loved it, again introduced that to all of my family and friends from out of state during their visits, they now also look for Yuengling and drank that.

Point is, if it’s good beer, people will buy. For Gray Duck, they’re probably too small of a company at this time for them to think retail nationally. Maybe one day they grow to a point where they will sale nationally.

Highly recommend Abita and Yuengling to try if you haven’t 👍 I’m sure Surdyks do carry both.

I mean the NIL deal is only important to us, but if DDB is a “great tasting” beer, then words can get out and out of state people could eventually ramp up for demand.

Case in point, when I lived in New Orleans, I was introduced to their local beer, Abita beer (Abita Amber to be specific) and loved it. I then introduced Abita to all of my friends and family who had visited me while I was in NO, now they all love it and still tells me that they have seen it and drank them in their respective states.

Further, when I moved to Pittsburgh, I was introduced to their local beer, Yuengling Lager and loved it, again introduced that to all of my family and friends from out of state during their visits, they now also look for Yuengling and drank that.

Point is, if it’s good beer, people will buy. For Gray Duck, they’re probably too small of a company at this time for them to think retail nationally. Maybe one day they grow to a point where they will sale nationally.

Highly recommend Abita and Yuengling to try if you haven’t 👍 I’m sure Surdyks do carry both.
I was in Omaha a couple of weeks ago. I saw beer for sale there that indicated part of the profits would be going to Nebraska's NIL fund. I wouldn't buy a 6 pack of that if it was the greatest beer on earth. It would seem like being a traitor. Maybe they could remove the NIL tie-in from the packaging for sale outside of Minnesota.

I have yet to see any reviews of DDB that describe it as "great tasting," but you can post your thoughts once you get your shipment. I appreciate your optimism, but I think that it is unlikely to become a national product. And if they do sell it in other states someday, it will likely be marketed as "Bucky, Bucky Beer" in wisconsin or "Herky, Herky Beer" in Iowa.

I love a cold Yuengling, have to keep my eye out for Abita.

Yuengling is from PA but is sold all over the eastern half of the US. First tried it in Boston but also have had it in Florida. They recently expanded as far west as Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma.

There's so much competition in the beer market (too many options) that I doubt DDB will ever expand outside of MN. It's a pretty average beer and I think they know that. It would be more likely for a brewery like Fulton or Castle Danger to expand outside the region than something like DDB.

I AM glad that Mich Golden Light is still a thing in Minnesota. Great light beer for a summer day and basically only sold in Minnesota and parts of Wisconsin.

We'd go with Black Label in returnable cases.
1000002838.jpg

I have yet to see any reviews of DDB that describe it as "great tasting," but you can post your thoughts once you get your shipment.

I love a cold Yuengling, have to keep my eye out for Abita.

I definitely will share my thoughts on DDB. I received them yesterday and since I only have a 12-pack, plan to save the first can for tomorrow’s game and drink 2 cans per game so I’ll have at least one per game for the rest of the season.

You’ll love Abita, the most two popular ones are:

Abita Amber
Abita Purple Haze

Yuengling I have plenty so I drink them every game day. 😄👍

Met my three best friends through it. But it’s pricy. Super fun to see the world through beer and always good to travel and see breweries.
Yes, my buddies and I are in to craft beers (probably not to the extent you are/were). We always try to check out microbreweries when in a new town or during our travels. We use the beer app Untappd.

Yuengling is from PA but is sold all over the eastern half of the US. First tried it in Boston but also have had it in Florida. They recently expanded as far west as Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma.

There's so much competition in the beer market (too many options) that I doubt DDB will ever expand outside of MN. It's a pretty average beer and I think they know that. It would be more likely for a brewery like Fulton or Castle Danger to expand outside the region than something like DDB.

I AM glad that Mich Golden Light is still a thing in Minnesota. Great light beer for a summer day and basically only sold in Minnesota and parts of Wisconsin.
Mich Golden Light is also sold in Iowa. I live south eastern IA and I can get it.

Mich Golden Light is also sold in Iowa. I live south eastern IA and I can get it.
Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. Mich Golden Draft (which I don't think they still make) and Mich Golden Light were developed in the 1990s (when I was in college) to sell in the handful of states that Miller Genuine Draft and MGD light were outselling Bud and Bud Light. Most people outside of this five state area have never heard of it.

Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. Mich Golden Draft (which I don't think they still make) and Mich Golden Light were developed in the 1990s (when I was in college) to sell in the handful of states that Miller Genuine Draft and MGD light were outselling Bud and Bud Light. Most people outside of this five state area have never heard of it.
When I was in the Navy they actually had it on tap at the on base bowling alley in San Diego. This was late 90's and it clearly was old.

I'm not a fan of much that Surly makes so guessing I won't like it...but will still give it a try. I don't mind Nordeast.
I really like Surly Furious. Figure this will taste nothing like that as it isn’t an IPA. But I’d it is like Nordeast I will go buy some soon.
I'm not a fan of much that Surly makes so guessing I won't like it...but will still give it a try. I don't mind Nordeast.

In college (early 90's), Busch Light could be found for 9.99 a case. Old Style Classic Draft would go as low as 7.99 if we were really cheap.
In college we could buy a case of Old Milwaukee for around 8.00. Then you could return the bottles for a rebate on the next one.

Bought my first 12 pack just before the Illionois debacle. In typical fashion, I jinxed yet another Minnesota sports team ad I was starting to get emotionally invested..........

Anyhow, the beer is very good IMO but not great. But good enough where I will continue to buy to support my Gophs. Much to my surprise, the liquor store I bought it from said they sold out their first shipment in a couple of days.

Duck Duck beer isn't bad, it is a little lighter than Nordeast. Doesn't taste that bad. I have purchased it the last 2 home games.

Just bought a 12-pack at Andy's Liquor Crossroads Center, Rochester. Put it in the fridge to cool down. Can't wait to try it.

Beer.jpg

UPDATE: Just had my first can. As others have noted, definitely a crushable beer. Tastes like a very light Hefeweizen, poured with little to no head. I added salt to enhance it. I could pound a few of these at a tailgate or after a hot day mowing lawn.

Last edited:

Just bought a 12-pack at Andy's Liquor Crossroads Center, Rochester. Put it in the fridge to cool down. Can't wait to try it.

View attachment 28100

That's a good price. I wonder if the producers (Gray Duck/Surly?) can make any profit from it after donating 20% of the wholesale price or if it's just mainly a good PR move.

That's a good price. I wonder if the producers (Gray Duck/Surly?) can make any profit from it after donating 20% of the wholesale price or if it's just mainly a good PR move.
Well, the price was reduced $3.03 for the 12-pack. It's on Andy's November flyer beer special promotion. Normally it would be $15.99.

Had my first can for the ILL game.

Not much taste to it. Not sure if it was the shipping across 4 states or what but barely any carbonation when I opened the cans. No carbonation and flat.

4.5 out of 10

Had my first can for the ILL game.

Not much taste to it. Not sure if it was the shipping across 4 states or what but barely any carbonation when I opened the cans. No carbonation and flat.

4.5 out of 10
Shipping would not affect carbonation unless there was a leak in the can. But if there was a leak you would know.

I thought mine had a normal amount of carbonation though.

When I was in the Navy they actually had it on tap at the on base bowling alley in San Diego. This was late 90's and it clearly was old.
That's really unusual. Wonder if the procurement guy was from the midwest.
I can't remember where, but I once saw Leinie's Sunset Wheat (awful stuff - tastes like Fruity Pebbles) in some far flung location. Might have been Las Vegas.

I think Mich Golden at one point was sold nationally. But then it disappeared nationally and it was so popular here that AB just kept brewing it for Minnesota (and a few bordering states).

Found Duck at WestSide in Willmar. Better than expected. Similar to GB Premium to me

Top Bottom