DT Transfer Target Visiting?

I think there's also the possibility of folks who go there are self selecting for ability, connections too.

I kinda suspect somewhere out there there there might be some backwater community college that actually improves the prospects of some rando students by a greater % than some fancy college with high achieving student's whose prospects were already pretty amazing... that doesn't mean you can replace one with another but that the situation has a lot of factors to consider.

Dude I knew who went to Notre Dame often talked about how it made him very successful. I kept telling him "Bro you're the smartest guy I've ever met ...." (dude was amazing). Finally years later he came around to a similar conclusion. His success was smarts and happenstance (he picked some good companies early on), Notre Dame was a good bonus / certainly helpful, but a lot of other factors were at play and was more of a factor of him being smart enough to earn his way into such a situation.
Totally agree. Many pathways to success. Hard work (and some natural gifts) are a common thread. I know a few former D1 athletes and all of them are extremely driven people. If you've busted your butt to get into an Ivy you're probably going to do well afterward if you keep up that work ethic. But I think someone who is equally driven can succeed just as well with a Big Ten degree or MnSCU degree. Starting point may be different though.

Explosive athlete, wow. Doesn't play with great leverage though. I always try to find the HS recruiting profile for transfers, and his is super interesting. He's listed as a 6'1" or 6'2" DE/OLB who played at a Catholic school in Detroit and was a 4-year starter and 2x defensive player of the year. Now he's an interior DL who's listed at 6'5" and 295 lbs. Wonder what the scoop is. Any Harvard FB message boards, lol?!
He's listed at 6-2 on his Harvard page.

Ivy League is a pretty big step down. He would have to be completely dominant at that level to compete in the Big Ten at DT.

Ivy League is a pretty big step down. He would have to be completely dominant at that level to compete in the Big Ten at DT.
They don't participate in the FCS playoff or often play outside the Ivy or Patriot League.

So it's tough to see how a school like Harvard would stack up against teams in the MVFC.

But there's no question that there are handfuls of guys in the MVFC each year who can play at the Big Ten level. They have plenty of guys who play in the NFL.

But it's DEFINITELY a step up from kids with 1 year in a college S&C program or JUCO. This is the line. We need more bodies with experience and mass.
exactly. An Ivy League upperclassman who was 1st team all conference should be ahead of the alternatives.

If the incumbents or other transfers beat him out, then that's how it goes. But if it's him or going with a freshman/sophomore the chances for a good outcome in 2022 are likely better with the transfer.

The dynamic all over the NCAA is going to start becoming "freshmen and sophomores get frustrated (and transfer) because they don't get their chance until later because now they are competing with every other program's upperclassmen". That's the downside of the portal for younger players - guys who would have been next man up as freshman/sophomore now have much more unclear paths to playing time in their own program.

I believe they, and many of the Ivy League, provide defacto full-ride grants of financial aid for any household making less than $X thousand per year (not sure the number). So he still might've qualified to pay nothing out of pocket.

Again, just like a lot of DIII schools are "no athletic scholarships" *wink wink wink*.
True dat

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the only way a financial-aid grant is allowed to be provided to athletes and not count as athletic scholarships (which are against DIII rules) is if those grants are also available to the entire student body and provided to non-athletes.

Otherwise, it would obviously be athletic scholarships. I'm sure that DIII schools comply, in this way, as well.
They aren't DIII they are FCS which allows 63 scholarships but the Ivy League doesn't allow any. That being said, Harvard does, like most Ivy League schools, offer very generous financial aid rewards to all economically eligible students.

I have a niece who graduated from Harvard. I never had the guts to ask my sister how much it actually cost to put her through school. She was a good student so I assume she got some type of financial aid. My niece was on the Rowing team at Harvard, but I don't think that factored into her aid package........
It should not have. Smart niece:)

I don't know if studies have been done, but I think the biggest plus of the Ivies (both private and public) is the post-graduate networking. Professors at those schools are likely a notch above, but the difference isn't light years. I did my grad work at the U in public affairs with a dash of political science tossed in and the profs I had, for the most part, were really quite good.
Schools are ranked on the difficulty getting accepted and the size of their endowments. They are not ranked out outcomes. I think you would find that talented people that go to other good schools education-wise, received a comparable education. I saw one study out of Princeton that said as much (when comparing apples and apples) but have noticed that the Ivies have not opened their institutions to be studied like that. If they did offer a superior education, my guess is that they would have studied that more:)

If he can play and can help us great. Never hurts to have smart guys on the field. Winston D the DL coach now at Akron was that way.

Top Bottom