DT Transfer Target Visiting?

I would hope he wouldn’t do most of the degree at Harvard only to get another school’s name on the degree at the last minute.
I see what you're saying but it's not like he won't have the transcripts to show he went to Harvard. I also don't think that in the sciences that employers would get as hung up on the name on the degree. They'll dig deeper and look at transcripts.

It looks like he could be a solid rotation piece.

Explosive athlete, wow. Doesn't play with great leverage though. I always try to find the HS recruiting profile for transfers, and his is super interesting. He's listed as a 6'1" or 6'2" DE/OLB who played at a Catholic school in Detroit and was a 4-year starter and 2x defensive player of the year. Now he's an interior DL who's listed at 6'5" and 295 lbs. Wonder what the scoop is. Any Harvard FB message boards, lol?!

Explosive athlete, wow. Doesn't play with great leverage though. I always try to find the HS recruiting profile for transfers, and his is super interesting. He's listed as a 6'1" or 6'2" DE/OLB who played at a Catholic school in Detroit and was a 4-year starter and 2x defensive player of the year. Now he's an interior DL who's listed at 6'5" and 295 lbs. Wonder what the scoop is. Any Harvard FB message boards, lol?!
His human biology is evolutionary, apparently!

I would hope he wouldn’t do most of the degree at Harvard only to get another school’s name on the degree at the last minute.
“I transferred to Minnesota for football “

Done.

“I transferred to Minnesota for football “

Done.
Considering Harvard doesn't have merit scholarships (neither academic nor athletic) and he had to pay to go there, I would assume he went there to get a Harvard degree before he transferred out.

Considering Harvard doesn't have merit scholarships (neither academic nor athletic) and he had to pay to go there, I would assume he went there to get a Harvard degree before he transferred out.
I believe they, and many of the Ivy League, provide defacto full-ride grants of financial aid for any household making less than $X thousand per year (not sure the number). So he still might've qualified to pay nothing out of pocket.

Again, just like a lot of DIII schools are "no athletic scholarships" *wink wink wink*.

I believe they, and many of the Ivy League, provide defacto full-ride grants of financial aid for any household making less than $X thousand per year (not sure the number). So he still might've qualified to pay nothing out of pocket.

Again, just like a lot of DIII schools are "no athletic scholarships" *wink wink wink*.
Except the difference being that Harvard does those grants for non athletes too.
So the comparison to d3 is okay but the better comparison is to the academics at North Carolina

Except the difference being that Harvard does those grants for non athletes too.
So the comparison to d3 is okay but the better comparison is to the academics at North Carolina
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the only way a financial-aid grant is allowed to be provided to athletes and not count as athletic scholarships (which are against DIII rules) is if those grants are also available to the entire student body and provided to non-athletes.

Otherwise, it would obviously be athletic scholarships. I'm sure that DIII schools comply, in this way, as well.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the only way a financial-aid grant is allowed to be provided to athletes and not count as athletic scholarships (which are against DIII rules) is if those grants are also available to the entire student body and provided to non-athletes.

Otherwise, it would obviously be athletic scholarships. I'm sure that DIII schools comply, in this way, as well.
Grants yes

“academic” scholarships are by nature subjective

I'd bet a lot of money he didn't have to pay anything to go to Harvard.

Well unless his family are well off the needs based scholarships at Harvard are close to effectively the same thing.

I have a niece who graduated from Harvard. I never had the guts to ask my sister how much it actually cost to put her through school. She was a good student so I assume she got some type of financial aid. My niece was on the Rowing team at Harvard, but I don't think that factored into her aid package........

I have a niece who graduated from Harvard. I never had the guts to ask my sister how much it actually cost to put her through school. She was a good student so I assume she got some type of financial aid. My niece was on the Rowing team at Harvard, but I don't think that factored into her aid package........

What did your niece end up doing after she graduated? Just curious if the Harvard investment paid off?

What did your niece end up doing after she graduated? Just curious if the Harvard investment paid off?
Lives in Hollywood. has been on the writing staff for a couple of sitcoms. She is currently working on a script for CBS with an option to produce a pilot for a new sitcom, assuming that CBS likes the final script.

Doesn’t look 6’5” to me.

Well unless his family are well off the needs based scholarships at Harvard are close to effectively the same thing.
True. Harvard pays little weight to a families income when selecting their students. Once an offer is accepted, then financials are reviewed for every student and aid is offered to make sure every student can pay the fees. Basically, if Harvard wants you, they make sure finances are not a factor.

This is how sports tuitions are covered as well. I don’t know for certain, but there is a good chance that athletes from well off families do pay whatever there fair share is.

Going to Harvard undergrad pays off for the connections alone.
I don't know if studies have been done, but I think the biggest plus of the Ivies (both private and public) is the post-graduate networking. Professors at those schools are likely a notch above, but the difference isn't light years. I did my grad work at the U in public affairs with a dash of political science tossed in and the profs I had, for the most part, were really quite good.

I don't know if studies have been done, but I think the biggest plus of the Ivies (both private and public) is the post-graduate networking. Professors at those schools are likely a notch above, but the difference isn't light years. I did my grad work at the U in public affairs with a dash of political science tossed in and the profs I had, for the most part, were really quite good.
I think there's also the possibility of folks who go there are self selecting for ability, connections too.

I kinda suspect somewhere out there there there might be some backwater community college that actually improves the prospects of some rando students by a greater % than some fancy college with high achieving student's whose prospects were already pretty amazing... that doesn't mean you can replace one with another but that the situation has a lot of factors to consider.

Dude I knew who went to Notre Dame often talked about how it made him very successful. I kept telling him "Bro you're the smartest guy I've ever met ...." (dude was amazing). Finally years later he came around to a similar conclusion. His success was smarts and happenstance (he picked some good companies early on), Notre Dame was a good bonus / certainly helpful, but a lot of other factors were at play and was more of a factor of him being smart enough to earn his way into such a situation.

Top Bottom