DT Smith Flips to Notre Dame

Would be interesting to know what drove the decision to flip but is what it is I guess.

With a name as original as Chris Smith, one would think we'd have no problem replacing him.

Wonder if he's related to Tubby, or Malik.

Go Gophers!!

Am I the only one that thinks this is just low-down dirty? He we are in spring practice, we may or may not have pursued other D-lineman in the portal based on his commitment months ago, and Notre Dame (Marcus Freeman) is still recruiting guys that have committed? Seems slimy. And i'm surprised that once a kid in the portal commits, that there isn't an NLI or something binding him to the school???

I would think the rules need to be tightened up a bit. I agree, something is going on. NIL influence?

Straight cash homey.
I have no idea what his NFL prospects are.

But if he's looking at this as his last season as wanting to maximize NIL and/or maximize as deep a post-season run as possible ... probably can't fault him there.

Am I the only one that thinks this is just low-down dirty? He we are in spring practice, we may or may not have pursued other D-lineman in the portal based on his commitment months ago, and Notre Dame (Marcus Freeman) is still recruiting guys that have committed? Seems slimy. And i'm surprised that once a kid in the portal commits, that there isn't an NLI or something binding him to the school???
As Bobby Bowden use to say, "Verbals just let me know who the competition is"

I'm assuming he would have started for us. Can the same be said for his role at ND?

There's a NIL binding him now.

I would think the rules need to be tightened up a bit. I agree, something is going on. NIL influence?
With NIL there are no rules. Notre Dame alums can buy any player in portal.

I'm assuming he would have started for us. Can the same be said for his role at ND?
Doubt either team would guarantee him a starting spot but obviously his odds were good at landing one here and I find it highly unlikely he would switch to ND if he didn't believe he would have a great shot of starting there.

Guy like this is unlikely to command big NIL dollars so I highly doubt NIL had anything to do with his decision.

So you don’t want PJ recruiting kids who have committed elsewhere?

Stinks for sure and hate to lose someone to Notre Dame, but the silver lining is that there will surely be some more movement in the portal after spring ball finishes up and I'm sure PJ will work hard to find another DT. If he doesn't, I'd take that to mean that he feels very good about what he saw from some of the younger guys at DT during the spring.

I guess the other thing with Smith is that it's hard to lose something you never tangibly had. Other than his visit, Smith hasn't been on campus working out and building chemistry with the team and at least he wasn't taking valuable reps from other players during spring ball. So from the players' perspective, we have who we have and those guys will keep working hard together through the spring and summer.

This is the NIL Storm's equivalent of greenhouse warming. Get used to it.

There is a pot of gold with a Leprechaun after all.

So you don’t want PJ recruiting kids who have committed elsewhere?
Anyone know if Notre Dame just recently offered him or has he had the offer for awhile?

It does kinda suck if ND just offered him in early April.

With NIL there are no rules. Notre Dame alums can buy any player in portal.
That's not really true. Smith signed away his NLI rights to someone and that deal stipulated he had to make in person appearances in bloomington on tuesday nights he's essentially bound to play for minnesota or make no NLI money.

That's not really true. Smith signed away his NLI rights to someone and that deal stipulated he had to make in person appearances in bloomington on tuesday nights he's essentially bound to play for minnesota or make no NLI money.
You are assuming these deals will be legitimate exchanges of services for money. Maybe so at Minnesota. Helmet school boosters are going to bid and buy players. The service rendered to earn the money is simply playing football at that school.

Notre Dame has one of the highest levels of donor dollars in the country. A lot of them live for Fighting Irish football.

Top Bottom