Drew Hmielewski The Sleeper Of The Class

hungan1

Reaction score
In case this hasn't been seen:

Drew's HS Coach, Terry Bahlman, had a big hand in steering him to the Gophers.

We have an all around athlete that just elevated the Gophers talent pool that much more.

Welcome aboard Drew Hmielewski!

Hmielewski an "extremely explosive athlete"

Ryan Burns, Scout, August 12, 2015
Publisher

This story was originally published on GopherDigest.com.
Drew Hmielewski's head coach at Marshall, Terry Bahlmann, spoke with GopherDigest about what Gopher fans can expect from their new in-state wide receiver commit.

"Drew is a 3 sport athlete and very passionate about all 3 sports-football, basketball and baseball," Bahlmann said about new Gophers wide receiver commit Drew Hmielewski. "He is an excellent student and also a great role mode and citizen and is an excellent example for our younger players both on and off the field. He comes from a very athletic family as he Dad played baseball at Kansas State and Minor League baseball up to AA, His Mother played basketball at Kansas State."

Bahlmann and the Gophers linebacker coach worked together in recruiting Hmielewski to Minnesota.

"I was involved by sending out the game films and talking to the college coaches. I have been in contact with Coach Sherels throughout the process.T he Gophers staff has been excellent to work with," Bahlmann explined. "Coach Sherels is our recruiter and everything has been first class and upfront throughout the recruiting process. Drew is a very explosive athlete. He ran a 4.5 40 yard dash, 10”4 standing long jump and has a vertical right around 40 inches. As a 3 sport athlete he has never had the opportunity to just concentrate on football, so his upside is huge."

Minnesota fans will never have to worry about Hmielewski's work ethic.

"Drew’s has excellent work habits, as a 3 sport athlete and excellent student he really uses his time wisely. A lot of days in the summer he would lift weights, do a 7 on 7 football workout, do his basketball workouts and then play baseball in the evening. He has been voted a Captain by his teammates and we will be creative in finding different ways to get him the football. He will play WR, free safety, return punts and kickoffs and is also our punter."

Bahlmann tells Gopher fans what to expect from his captain.

"I think they are going to see a very explosive receiver with excellent hands also likes to play very physical. He will be an excellent citizen and represent the Gophers well on and off the field. Drew is everything you would want out of a student athlete."

http://www.scout.com/college/minnesota/story/1573314-hmielewski-an-extremely-explosive-athlete?s=143

Pretty sure those are suppose to be premium only but there seems to be a glitch.

Is he explosive?

Or does his name end with -ski?

Make up your mind.

Got a commitable offer at camp from Kill. My mind is made up. Don't think he is a sleeper. He was an unknown.

One catch for 36 yards and a key block 20 yards downfield to spring a 75-yard TD run for the back. Didn't need him much, it was 26-0 after 1st and 54-0 at halftime. 68-0 final

Did drop one catchable ball.

Found this shot on twitter from tonight's game (for reference, the DB is listed at 5'11")

COG4irPUwAA7tMk.jpg

If anyone cares, his stat line on Friday was 6 catches for 61 yards and the 17-yd TD catch pictured above.

If anyone cares, his stat line on Friday was 6 catches for 61 yards and the 17-yd TD catch pictured above.

Crazy vertical! Could easily high jump in track. This kid looks like he could do it all.

As others have noted, a heck of an all-around athlete. Plans to play FB and Baseball at the U. Hey, didn't they used to have another white receiver from outstate MN who played FB and Baseball? What ever happened to that guy?

(and Drew is thinking - If I can land a babe like Decker's wife, I will be VERY happy.......)

Top Bottom