Dre Matthieu's Left Foot...

josh087

Sharing Common Sense & Reality
Reaction score
...not only touched the baseline but was actually clearly out of bounds about 3 seconds before Austin Hollins hits the decisive three pointer. The ref was looking right at his foot in perfect position to call the turnover.

Thanks for missing that one, stripes.

...not only touched the baseline but was actually clearly out of bounds about 3 seconds before Austin Hollins hits the decisive three pointer. The ref was looking right at his foot in perfect position to call the turnover.

You mean at the time I was screaming at the refs to make the EXACT same call they just called on Mathieu on the other end? Can't thank the stripes for that one.

Should have been a foul on the SMU player that bumped him out. I think the refs made it a no-call both ways. Which was dumb, but worked out for us.

You mean at the time I was screaming at the refs to make the EXACT same call they just called on Mathieu on the other end? Can't thank the stripes for that one.
I was yelling the same thing, it was pretty much the exact same situation and the same player the refs had just called the foul on and I would have definitely been upset if they just called Mathieu out of bounds.

Should have been a foul on the SMU player that bumped him out. I think the refs made it a no-call both ways. Which was dumb, but worked out for us.

Not a chance that they saw him step out and decided not to call it....

Not a chance that they saw him step out and decided not to call it....

Was there even a replay that confirmed how far out of bounds he was bumped? I thought the same thing but the camera angles in the live view didn't verify anything. Not a great game for the refs, but I've seen a lot worse over the years and this season, including with Tuesday night.

There were blown calls both ways. From the NIT games I saw, the officiating was totally amateur hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you were there in person and sitting on the baseline, how do you know this? I've watched that play several times on replay and while it's possible his foot touched, I can't see it clearly even when I freeze frame. I can see the ref looking right at his foot...which is probably why he didn't call a foul (not looking at the bump). The tv didn't show any second angles.

Disagree on the officiating last night, thought it was a very well called and even game and the players decided it. In a game with 14 ties and 17 lead changes, are there going to be close calls each side disputes? Of course. I can think of a bunch both ways... SMU (especially Moore) was able to draw some bogus fouls by good acting, like the one on King, and while we drew several charges I think there could've been 1 or 2 more...SMU constantly barreling into the lane. We benefited from a couple as well.

Unless you were there in person and sitting on the baseline, how do you know this? I've watched that play several times on replay and while it's possible his foot touched, I can't see it clearly even when I freeze frame. I can see the ref looking right at his foot...which is probably why he didn't call a foul (not looking at the bump). The tv didn't show any second angles.

I have the same question. josh087 - were you sitting baseline for the game? I feel like that's the only way you could say this so definitively.

I will say that I thought for sure he would get whistled for being OOB on that play as it happened, but I couldn't see his foot in real-time, so I have no idea what is fact here, other than the fact that the closest ref did not call it, and SMU did not seem to protest.

I gotta go with Josh on this one. I watched it a few times, on the 70-inch HD TV in my living room, and it looked like it was VERY well on the line. Not really a lot of doubt about it.

As my old college FB coach used to say, the breaks always even themselves out. Probably true in this case, as others have noted.

I'm not interested in hearing us or the coaches trying to blame a loss on bad reffing, definitely not going to feel any worse about winning the title because of one out of bounds call in the course of a 40 minute game.

Found this on an SMU board. Definitely looks out.

zN6gmTw.jpg

View attachment 2580

It certainly looks close, but honestly, I don't think this is enough evidence to "overturn." If his heel isn't touching the ground, his toes could be in bounds. It's not crystal clear from this angle that is not the case. A camera on the end line would settle this.

View attachment 2580

That's what I saw on my tv, but I don't think his heel was touching. You can't tell from that angle, and he was tip-toeing down the line.

I think the ref didn't want to call that foul... Dre got nudged and kept going, and the ref saw the baseline step the way he wanted to see it.

That's what I saw on my tv, but I don't think his heel was touching. You can't tell from that angle, and he was tip-toeing down the line.

I think the ref didn't want to call that foul... Dre got nudged and kept going, and the ref saw the baseline step the way he wanted to see it.

Similar to King's fifth foul the other night.

Gotta say, he was out of bounds. Considering the Gophers never got hosed by bad calls the whole season leading up to it - including the whole game leading up to that moment - I feel pretty bad about the team getting that break.

Similar to King's fifth foul the other night.

Gotta say, he was out of bounds. Considering the Gophers never got hosed by bad calls the whole season leading up to it - including the whole game leading up to that moment - I feel pretty bad about the team getting that break.

Sarcasm right?

Sarcasm right?

I'll answer that one for him: [you figure it out]

Probably was out, given that photo, but the ref was right there looking at it. From that angle it's really hard to tell if his heel was down or up. If the heel was up, it was the right call. If not...well, it's not like SMU didn't get a bunch of questionable calls their way as well, including immediately before it. So in this case it evened out, which is much different than what we witnessed, e.g., at Purdue, vs. Wisc. in BTT, etc.

Refs were not good last night, overall, but at least didn't display bias, and that's what I care about most.

I don't think you can really definitively say he was oob. One thing is clear, his foot was "over" the line. But can you say from that picture that his heel was flat on the court, thus being "on" the line? I see a darker shadow in the back than the front part of his foot, which probably means his heel was up. I don't think anyone can know for sure. So there is no point to wondering. It's over. Obviously it a close call and the ref either didn't see it, or didn't think it was oob. The refs did a great job in this game, they let both teams play.

Even if he was tip toeing, I still say this big toe is on the line. I'm not gonna complain though.

I don't think you can really definitively say he was oob. One thing is clear, his foot was "over" the line. But can you say from that picture that his heel was flat on the court, thus being "on" the line? I see a darker shadow in the back than the front part of his foot, which probably means his heel was up. I don't think anyone can know for sure. So there is no point to wondering. It's over. Obviously it a close call and the ref either didn't see it, or didn't think it was oob. The refs did a great job in this game, they let both teams play.
You really thought they were good? I thought they were awful, some bad missed charge calls, the travel called on Austin, the push off call on Mathieu that only happened after Brown yelled and gestured about it, and then no foul call on Mathieu's last drive when he had just been called for the exact same thing and situation.

The odd timed fouls against EE and Little Dre were awful. I had to watch them over a few times and were still baffled.

Well, when I said good, I guess I really meant they were relatively fair to both teams. Now the game before that, against Florida State.. that was bad reffing.

Top Bottom