DraftExpress: Stephen Curry entering draft

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Stephen Curry Will Enter the 2009 NBA Draft

While as many as six potential lottery picks (Willie Warren, Cole Aldrich, Ed Davis, Greg Monroe, Al-Farouq Aminu and possibly Evan Turner) have already declared their intentions to return to college next season, one player who will not is Davidson’s Stephen Curry. Sources close to the situation tell us that Curry will call a press conference shortly to announce he is putting his name in the draft. From what we understand, it’s very likely he keeps it in too. Curry looks like a pretty solid bet to get drafted somewhere in the 8-15 area, with teams like the Knicks, Nets and Suns currently looking to be the most interested amongst that group. Curry very much wants to graduate from Davidson, and this decision wasn’t an easy one as you can probably tell by how long it took, but at the end of the day, the NBA was too enticing an option considering where his draft stock is at at the moment, and how stacked next year’s draft is already shaping up to be.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-April-20-3188

Go Gophers!!

Has curry ever had a dominant game vs a dominant team like ben woodside did?

just asking.

Has curry ever had a dominant game vs a dominant team like ben woodside did?

Lol. You're joking right ?

Just asking.

maybe they didnt have cable up there in time for the 2008 NCAA tournament, and lakebison couldnt see it thru the fuzz.

Big loss for the game of College Bball

I guess I should've said "recently"

plus curry did that vs Gonzaga. Kansas is better "defensively" than gonzaga.

In case lakesbison was actually being serious with his inane post:

Sophomore season

Coming off of a stellar freshman season, Curry was eager to impress again. In this season, Davidson would play a tough non-conference schedule including the University of North Carolina, Duke, NC State, and UCLA. Despite being lightly regarded, these games against top-ranked opponents were very close, but unfortunately for Curry and the Wildcats, all losses. Curry shined in each game, though, scoring 24 against UNC[11], 20 against Duke[12], 29 against NC State[13], and 15 against UCLA.[14] On February 13, 2008, Curry's 41 point game against UNC-Greensboro helped Davidson come back from a 20-point first half deficit to win.[15]

Curry once again led the Southern Conference in scoring, averaging 25.5 points per game and ended up fifth in Division I in scoring, while adding 4.7 rebounds per game and 2.8 assists per game. His scoring and leadership abilities led the Wildcats to a 26–6 regular season record, and a 20–0 conference record. As a result, Davidson earned their third straight NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Tournament bid in 2008, as a 10 seed.

On March 21, 2008, Davidson matched up with seventh seeded Gonzaga University. Despite Gonzaga being ahead by as many as 11 points early in the second half of this game, Curry scored 30 points in that half[16] to push Davidson to their first NCAA Tournament win since 1969, 82–76. Curry ended up with 40 points, going 8-for-10 from 3-point range.[17] On March 23, Davidson played second seeded Georgetown University in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Georgetown entered the game as a heavy favorite after an appearance in the Final Four in 2007 and holding a number eight national ranking. Curry was held to only five points in the first half of the game, and his team trailed by 17 points at that point. However, Curry scored 25 points in the second half to push Davidson to a stunning 74–70 win.[16]

On March 28, 2008, Curry led Davidson to another upset against third seeded Wisconsin. With NBA superstar LeBron James in attendance[18], Curry scored 33 points over his defender Michael Flowers, who was considered one of the best in the nation. Davidson easily won 73–56, advancing the school to the Elite 8 for the first time since 1969.[19] In this game, Curry joined Clyde Lovellette of Kansas, Jerry Chambers of Utah and Glenn Robinson of Purdue as the only players to go over 30 in their first four career NCAA tournament games.[19] Curry also tied the single-season record for most three-pointers made in one season set by Darrin Fitzgerald of Butler University in 1986-87 with 158.[18][20] He set the record in the next game against the Kansas Jayhawks with his 159th three-pointer of the season. Despite Curry's 25 points, Davidson fell to the top-seeded Jayhawks, (which would go on to win the tournament) 59-57 on March 30, 2008.[21]

Curry was named to the Associated Press' All-America Second Team on March 31, 2008.[22] He was also named the Most Outstanding Player of the Midwest Region of the 2008 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Tournament, becoming the first player from a team not making the Final Four to do so since Juwan Howard of Michigan in 1994.[23]

Curry was nominated for an ESPY in the Breakthrough Player of the Year category.[24]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1KGy3m7Nio&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I1KGy3m7Nio&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I guess my point is.

Seriously, if Curry is considered a top 8-12 pick, then why isn't Woodside listed as a late 1st rounder or early second instead of a borderline pick period.

must be the ESPN factor.

Seriously? You think NBA scouts see Curry on ESPN and that's why they view him as a first round pick? And your logic is that if Woodside had more TV appearances he'd be spoken of as a lottery pick?

I have nothing against Ben Woodside and am glad to see a Minnesota boy, especially from SE MN, do well. I hope he makes an NBA roster, even if it invites you onto this board every time he gets garbage minutes in a blowout game for the Charlotte Bobcats. I'm also not a scout for the NBA and have never professed to be; but if you equate Woodside's one standout game on the national stage as logic for him to be picked in the first round or be considered a surefire NBA prospect, I don't even know where to start. Look through the ranks of college players every year and see names who were standouts in college who are not playing in the NBA, many of whom played on a much brighter stage and produced at a much higher level than Woodside-I'll even get you started with a few names, ok? Track down the likes of Donald Williams, Scotty Thurman, Gerry McNamara, Toby Bailey, Lee Humphrey, Mike Gansey, Kevin Pittsnogle. All big names on the national stage, for major conference teams, who were able to advance beyond the first round of the NCAA tournament-several of the above played key roles on their Final Four teams and one was even MOP for a national champion. None of these guys were drafted in the first round, and some weren't even drafted. It's a bit more complex than just lighting up Kansas for a game.

And just to make things a bit clear for your revisionist history-Kansas was not a dominant team this year-a team that doesn't advance past the Sweet 16 should never be described as dominant. Kansas had flashes of dominance the previous year however, when they won their national title, but were nearly derailed by Curry and Davidson in the Elite Eight. And Curry did more than score on Gonzaga-he lit up Georgetown, Wisconsin, and hung 25 on the national champion Jayhawks while guarded by a bunch of future NBA players.

It's fine to cheer for your guy, but you're coming across as a real simpleton with your argument for Curry and Woodside to be considered on the same plane for NBA talent evaluators.

Top Bottom