Dr. Saturday - Debriefing: It won’t be pretty, but Kill can lift Minnesota out of...

If they're looking for more than a steady diet of 6-6 or 7-5 marks with the occasional 9-3 Outback Bowl in the best years, he'd better enjoy the honeymoon.

People would have said the same thing about Wisconsin before Alvarez was hired. People keep saying this, but no one seems to have any actual reasons for thinking that this is the best that we can do. That the Gophers haven't done well in the past isn't reason that they can't.

Jewhan Edwards graduated?

The internet has done so much for journalism.

"almost half of which graduated with defensive end Jewhan Edwards, the team leader with three."

oops....guessing Jewhan didn't graduate

I should have stated Dr. S is an accurate preseason prognosticator

i did overlook the deleon...I may be turning into Dave Lee. "McKnight on the handoff..."

I also thought we had nine sacks last year, not eight...

Other errors:

- Gray arrived from a year in prep school

- Da'John McKnight

- Northern Illinosi

- would have been worse if not for an improbably three-sack afternoon

Don't get me wrong, I like Hinton and he does a great job, but errors like these (and the others already mentioned) really detract from the work.

I can't believe that I can do a better of job of editing and fact-checking than those gainfully employed by all these media companies, but apparently it is the case.

Other errors:

- Gray arrived from a year in prep school

- Da'John McKnight

- Northern Illinosi

- would have been worse if not for an improbably three-sack afternoon

Don't get me wrong, I like Hinton and he does a great job, but errors like these (and the others already mentioned) really detract from the work.

I can't believe that I can do a better of job of editing and fact-checking than those gainfully employed by all these media companies, but apparently it is the case.

Come on, yes you can! :)

When Alvarez was hired in 1990, the Badgers hadn't had a winning season since 1984. and hadn't won 8 games in a season since 1962, the last time they won the conference championship. The Badgers were in a situation very similar to the situation the Gophers are in now. There might have been reason to be skeptical that Alvarez would turn Wisconsin into a winner, but there wasn't reason to assume that they couldn't. By assuming that the Gophers cannot expect any better than 6 or 7 wins, with 9 wins as a rare dream season, he's making the same mistake that someone making the same assumptions about Wisconsin would have made in 1990. It is of course by no means clear that Kill will turn things around. But the assumption that he can't isn't based on evidence.

When Alvarez was hired in 1990, the Badgers hadn't had a winning season since 1984. and hadn't won 8 games in a season since 1962, the last time they won the conference championship. The Badgers were in a situation very similar to the situation the Gophers are in now. There might have been reason to be skeptical that Alvarez would turn Wisconsin into a winner, but there wasn't reason to assume that they couldn't. By assuming that the Gophers cannot expect any better than 6 or 7 wins, with 9 wins as a rare dream season, he's making the same mistake that someone making the same assumptions about Wisconsin would have made in 1990. It is of course by no means clear that Kill will turn things around. But the assumption that he can't isn't based on evidence.

Especially since Minnesota has better in-state talent.

Top Bottom