Dr. Fauci says no more handshaking. That reminded me of some of my favorite B1G moments involving the silly tradition (Fleck and Brohm keep it brief)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

Shaking hands is an aspect of our everyday life that many of us don’t even think about anymore. At least not until the COVID-19 pandemic hit the United States, forcing the country to limit all contact with each other over the last month.

Handshaking is so common that it’s even been a key aspect of sports for an eternity. It’s a show of good sportsmanship before and after every athletics event, allowing coaches and players to congratulate each other on a hard-fought contest.

If you’re like me, you probably also think it’s really dumb. Sure, I understand the idea behind the post-game handshake line, but it’s really just a forced action that can only cause problems. Seriously, what life-changing moment has ever occurred because players were forced to participate in the post-game handshake?

I rest my case.

So when Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House task force in stopping the spread of COVID-19, said “I don’t think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you,” my first thought was “Great! Now we can get rid of those stupid post-game handshake lines.”

After a few minutes, something else crossed my mind. I started to think about some of those awesome (and usually controversial) moments that have occurred that involved the pre- and post-game ritual. Over the last decade or so in the B1G, we’ve witnessed some really good ones.

Just in case those handshake lines do go away in college athletics (and they definitely should), here are some memorable moments from recent B1G contests that are worthy of some recognition.

P.J. Fleck and Jeff Brohm keep it brief
This quick exchange between Fleck and Brohm after Minnesota’s 38-31 over Purdue in 2019 led to so many questions on social media. Do the two hate each other? Was Brohm just frustrated because his two best players (Rondale Moore and Elijah Sindelar) were injured in the game? Or was this just all blown out of proportion?

It’s probably the last option. But it was still a funny moment between the two.

Go Gophers!!

per Dustin:

Shaking hands is an aspect of our everyday life that many of us don’t even think about anymore. At least not until the COVID-19 pandemic hit the United States, forcing the country to limit all contact with each other over the last month.

Handshaking is so common that it’s even been a key aspect of sports for an eternity. It’s a show of good sportsmanship before and after every athletics event, allowing coaches and players to congratulate each other on a hard-fought contest.

If you’re like me, you probably also think it’s really dumb. Sure, I understand the idea behind the post-game handshake line, but it’s really just a forced action that can only cause problems. Seriously, what life-changing moment has ever occurred because players were forced to participate in the post-game handshake?

I rest my case.

So when Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House task force in stopping the spread of COVID-19, said “I don’t think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you,” my first thought was “Great! Now we can get rid of those stupid post-game handshake lines.”

After a few minutes, something else crossed my mind. I started to think about some of those awesome (and usually controversial) moments that have occurred that involved the pre- and post-game ritual. Over the last decade or so in the B1G, we’ve witnessed some really good ones.

Just in case those handshake lines do go away in college athletics (and they definitely should), here are some memorable moments from recent B1G contests that are worthy of some recognition.

P.J. Fleck and Jeff Brohm keep it brief
This quick exchange between Fleck and Brohm after Minnesota’s 38-31 over Purdue in 2019 led to so many questions on social media. Do the two hate each other? Was Brohm just frustrated because his two best players (Rondale Moore and Elijah Sindelar) were injured in the game? Or was this just all blown out of proportion?

It’s probably the last option. But it was still a funny moment between the two.

Go Gophers!!
Without a handshake how do we demonstrate honesty in a business deal?

I mean that handshake was professional and was probably a good example for the kids as far sa how to behave in public even if you might not get along with the dude.

Could be something like this:

LEACH-F-U.gif

For the record what happened there was at the end of the game Idaho was threatening to score and Leach had taken his starters out ... put them back in to prevent the score ;)

I mean that handshake was professional and was probably a good example for the kids as far sa how to behave in public even if you might not get along with the dude.

LEACH-F-U.gif

For the record what happened there was at the end of the game Idaho was threatening to score and Leach had taken his starters out ... put them back in to prevent the score ;)
bottom line is leach wins... love watching his teams. loose cannon but fun to watch... it would out right suck to manage him.

Don't have the video but the best post game handshake was the Pete Carroll-USC and Jim Harbaugh-Stanford, "what's your deal?" encounter.

LEACH-F-U.gif

might seem good but on e coach said FU and if you read lips you know which one

bottom line is leach wins... love watching his teams. loose cannon but fun to watch... it would out right suck to manage him.
I go all the over the board with Leach. Obviously not respectful at times and who knows how he treats his staff. Not sure if he'd be the greatest role model for kids.

NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci is amassing quite a record these past three months.

** In January Dr. Anthony Fauci told Newsmax TV that the United States did not have to worry about the coronavirus.
Now, three months later, he wants to shut down every state!

** Dr. Fauci warned of an apocalyptic pandemic and later compared the coronavirus to a bad flu.

** Dr. Fauci based all of his predictions on models and then told reporters this past week, “You can’t really rely on models.”

And on March 20th Dr. Fauci “corrected” the president during a press briefing on hydroxychloroquine saying, “You got to be careful when you say ‘fairly effective.’ It was never done in a clinical trial… It was given to individuals and felt that maybe it worked.”

** Exactly two weeks later hydroxychloroquine has been deemed the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus in an international poll of more than 6,000 doctors.

** Two-and-a-half weeks ago Dr. Fauci claimed 1 million to 2 million Americans would die from coronavirus. A week-and-a-half ago he said 100,000 to 200,000 Americans will die from the virus. On Monday he agreed 81,766 Americans would die from the coronavirus. A could of days later the experts cut the number of deaths to 60,415 projected deaths.

Dr. Fauci is a major tool!

Last edited:

Appointed by Ron Reagan in 1984. He has been the big cheese in infectious disease every since.

Ya, so!

Maybe that explains it. The guy is losing his memory. Yes, that's probably it. He can't seem to remember what he said two days ago. Time to retire, maybe!

Ya, so!

Maybe that explains it. The guy is losing his memory. Yes, that's probably it. He can't seem to remember what he said two days ago. Time to retire, maybe!

He is not that old. How much of young punk are you, squirt?

Don't have trh

e video but the best post game handshake was the Pete Carroll-USC and Jim Harbaugh-Stanford, "what's your deal?" encounter.
That was hilarious. IIRC Stanford was a giant underdog in the game and upset Pete during their Glory years; Luck wasn't even the QB then.

Back when I still liked Mr. Khaki Pants

He is not that old. How much of young punk are you, squirt?

He could be 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100

He's a walking contradiction on everything he says. Would you care to dispute anything I posted on Fauci? Have at it, sir!

He could be 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 or 100

He's a walking contradiction on everything he says. Would you care to dispute anything I posted on Fauci? Have at it, sir!

You posted things about Fauci? I had no idea. I thought you were dribbling out of the side of your mouth!

I said this back in January on GH, I'll paraphrase, everyday as we get through the affects of the disease, we will be adjusting to the realities of what is going on. And, that will take some very flexible thinking as what we learn along the way is going to at times be contradicted by new facts and better ways of doing things.

Apparently, you missed that memo. Too bad for you. Tony Fauci is a giant in this country. What have you ever done to come close to what Fauci has done for this country in all those years and this? His accomplishments are a list of national successes. He has developed treatments for over 6 major diseases. He is the 13th most cited researcher in disease on the planet. All of this while leading infectious disease at the CDC and NIH.

And, you opine that he is contradicting himself. Well, let him. He is working the problem while you are sitting on the sideline spitballing all over yourself.

You posted things about Fauci? I had no idea. I thought you were dribbling out of the side of your mouth!

I said this back in January on GH, I'll paraphrase, everyday as we get through the affects of the disease, we will be adjusting to the realities of what is going on. And, that will take some very flexible thinking as what we learn along the way is going to at times be contradicted by new facts and better ways of doing things.

Apparently, you missed that memo. Too bad for you. Tony Fauci is a giant in this country. What have you ever done to come close to what Fauci has done for this country in all those years and this? His accomplishments are a list of national successes. He has developed treatments for over 6 major diseases. He is the 13th most cited researcher in disease on the planet. All of this while leading infectious disease at the CDC and NIH.

And, you opine that he is contradicting himself. Well, let him. He is working the problem while you are sitting on the sideline spitballing all over yourself.

Is Trump adjusting, too?

Oh, and all those Fauci wrongs were just adjustments! Where can I get entertainment like this anywhere else?

Last edited:

Is Trump adjusting, too?

So, now you are going conflate a civil servant with an elected President and you expect me to what? Fawn all over the President? Trash the President? I'm just talking about Fauci.

So, now you are going conflate a civil servant with an elected President and you expect me to what? Fawn all over the President? Trash the President? I'm just talking about Fauci.

You hate the president, so Trump is not adjusting. Remember the outcry over Easter, Trump then adjusted as near as I can tell. Try telling that to certain news group!

I can respect your non-response!

Oh, and I was just talking Fauci, too! He's all over the board, but now I realize he's just adjusting! LMAO

I learn a lot on gopher hole!

You hate the president, so Trump is not adjusting. Remember the outcry over Easter, Trump then adjusted as near as I can tell. Try telling that to certain news group!

I can respect your non-response! LMAO

I find it interesting that the public believes that they can think on behalf of other people. I did respond. You ignored it.

I find it interesting that the public believes that they can think on behalf of other people. I did respond. You ignored it.

You did respond.........when you are wrong over and over and over.......you are just adjusting.

I'm going to use that one. It's brilliant!

If I'm wrong on a player, or wrong on a predicted record, etc........I'll just adjust it. I've been saying get rid of pitino for years. If he blows up next year, I'll just adjust it.

Why are you ripping my Fauci posts? How do you know I won't adjust it later?

Hilarious, Dean!

You go next and have the last word. Keep in mind though, I'm pretty much laughing the whole way.

One last thing before I bow out of this thread. Fauci is a complete joke!

One other thing, don't be ripping on Trump like you do. He's accomplished way more than you. Practice what you preach!

Last edited:

You did respond.........when you are wrong over and over and over.......you are just adjusting.

You convey nothing but sophistry. At least that is a start of a conversation.

I can't find any good footage on the Brewster/Bielema arm-wrestling match after the "go for two" game.

If I'm wrong on a player, or wrong on a predicted record, etc........I'll just adjust it. I've been saying get rid of pitino for years. If he blows up next year, I'll just adjust it.

Why are you ripping my Fauci posts? How do you know I won't adjust it later?

Hilarious, Dean!

You go next and have the last word. Keep in mind though, I'm pretty much laughing the whole way.

One last thing before I bow out of this thread. Fauci is a complete joke!

That is one man's follie. Again, what have you ever done in your life to compare to the fine quality of a human being of Tony Fauci? Bold typeface does nothing to expand your point except to make more black space on a white field.

Bow out you coward. Nobody will blame you for leaving.

Top Bottom