Downside of bargain hunting in the portal

Laker

Reaction score
Fleck and his minions seem to be working hard to find those diamond in the rough bargains in the portal . Imagine Fleck and staff sitting in a room with Macklemore blaring out Thrift Shop 24/7 . Downside is that if you get some gems they are back in the portal the next year, lured away by NIL and the chance to get more exposure on the national level. Another unintended consequence is that it pisses off the younger players that you are trying to develop. There are few good options for teams like the Gophers unless there are changes to NIL and the transfer portal. They need to go to a 1 year sit out again on transfers and no NIL money. Maybe a standard stipend plus the the normal tuition, room, and board.

Fleck and his minions seem to be working hard to find those diamond in the rough bargains in the portal . Imagine Fleck and staff sitting in a room with Macklemore blaring out Thrift Shop 24/7 . Downside is that if you get some gems they are back in the portal the next year, lured away by NIL and the chance to get more exposure on the national level. Another unintended consequence is that it pisses off the younger players that you are trying to develop. There are few good options for teams like the Gophers unless there are changes to NIL and the transfer portal. They need to go to a 1 year sit out again on transfers and no NIL money. Maybe a standard stipend plus the the normal tuition, room, and board.
Unless they are grad transfers, I'm pretty sure they will need to sit a year on their second transfer.

Yep. You can also get a waiver for a variety of reasons. The transfer portal and NIL are making it even harder for Minnesota to compete

How many free transfers do they get?

Yep. You can also get a waiver for a variety of reasons. The transfer portal and NIL are making it even harder for Minnesota to compete
So many reasons that anyone can get two or three free transfers?

So many reasons that anyone can get two or three free transfers?
The Gopher will compete as the rules allow, and as the means available permit. Their heads will be held high. Some seasons will be better than other seasons. As always, I will be a proud DTA small $$ contributor and each season will be richly rewarded by my team. It is incredible to have lived my life always being a Gopher fan.

I welcome transfers in and wish transfers out the best and recall any positive memories of transfers out as they follow their free-will journey in their athletic and scholastic journeys.

I never let any ba$tards get me down…

:0)

Last edited:

Vast majority will not get them. Portal, done right, is something that could really benefit places like Minnesota. Both NIL and portal will cool down sooner than later.

Top Bottom