Down to 8

Indiana Gopher

Indiana Gopher
Reaction score
With Boise State getting some traction in the most recent BCS rankings, I just can't see Chris Petersen considering a move right now as Boise may actually have a chance (with the help of Alabama) of playing in the BCS Championship. In any case, he'd be off the market until January so we're down to 8--I'm still not convinced Gary Patterson is out. Here goes...

1. Gary Patterson
2. Brady Hoke
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Ken Niumatololo
5. Jerry Kill
6. Kevin Sumlin
7. Mike Stoops
8. Al Golden

Next week may be the week...

No Mendenhall?

Stoops? Is anyone seriously saying we have a shot at Stoops?

I find that difficult to believe. Great if true but a bit of a dream - yes/no?

Whether you like him or not, Edsall needs to be on that list.

Stoops? Is anyone seriously saying we have a shot at Stoops?

I find that difficult to believe. Great if true but a bit of a dream - yes/no?

That's Mike Stoops of Arizona, not Bob Stoops of Oklahoma in case that's what you were thinking.

Other than Bellotti who has stated he wants to wait another year before going back into coaching, I'm not sure there's a valid reason to take anybody off of the list. While there is a very slim chance of someone like a Harbaugh or Richt coming here, there is as of yet no proof that they won't. People here keep repeating that Harbaugh has said "no thanks," but there's no proof of that whatsoever - and even if he made a public statement, he would be expected to deny interest. There could also be people being considered who have never appeared on any of these public lists - Maturi has even said that one person expressing interest was not on any of these lists. These list are probably pretty accurate - then again, maybe not. Just saying...

I wouldn't be shocked if there's at least one name that hasn't been discussed -- Fedora?? -- but unless four people in the know enough are wrong, there is a zero percent chance that Harbaugh is coming.

Just using Harbaugh as an example. Though, if he was interested, I'd tell everyone that he wasn't out of fear of it leaking out. Wouldn't want Doogie to be announcing it on the internet.

I wouldn't be shocked if there's at least one name that hasn't been discussed -- Fedora?? -- but unless four people in the know enough are wrong, there is a zero percent chance that Harbaugh is coming.

I can't believe that people even think Harbaugh would give us a second thought. Not that Minnesota is a bad destination, but we just aren't the spot for him. He was born and raised in the Stanford area and went to school at Michigan. If he's coaching college ball it is only going to be at one of those two places. PERIOD. If he leaves Stanford it will be for Michigan or Dallas.

With Boise State getting some traction in the most recent BCS rankings, I just can't see Chris Petersen considering a move right now as Boise may actually have a chance (with the help of Alabama) of playing in the BCS Championship. In any case, he'd be off the market until January so we're down to 8--I'm still not convinced Gary Patterson is out. Here goes...

1. Gary Patterson
2. Brady Hoke
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Ken Niumatololo
5. Jerry Kill
6. Kevin Sumlin
7. Mike Stoops
8. Al Golden

Next week may be the week...

1. Would happily take Patterson if he was interested.
2. While I wouldn't be thrilled, I wouldn't be disappointed
3. I would be stoked with Calhoun-#1 for me
4. Would be happy with this hire, though he's number 3 for me behind Mullen
5. NO
6. Oh, H-E-L-L no!!!
7. Lukewarm
8. See #5

I do NOT understand every thread that comes out, and people say..."No (this guy), No (that guy)"

All I can say is..."No $hit".

I'm inclined to put Mullen at #2 behind Pattersen. Would not be devastated by the selection of anyone on Indiana Gophers list. One could easily add 5 or 10 more to the list and still have a strong coach. The most critical thing to me in any coach is the ability to attract and retain outstanding coordinators and assistants and to be able to adapt to changes in the college game. The refusal or inability to adapt to the changing game was what eventually ended the careers of Bierman and Warmath.

The fact that Dan Mullen's name keeps recurring is off to me. I just don't see someone going from Mississippi State to Minnesota--they're in a better conference (sorry Big 10 backers, but it's true and has been for some time), have as good of a program, and have as good or better chance of success, bowls, and exposure than we do. I'd venture to say that MSU is closer to competing in New Years Bowls than we are and have a better chance at competing for championships than we do (although both programs are a longshot to reach that leave any time soon). He would seem a prime candidate for the FL job if-and-when Urban Meyer steps aside...again and permanently. I just don't see why he would want to leave that situation after two years. And if he did, and was successful, I can't see him staying here long-term. So I am not adding him to my list. Patterson remains as my gut tells me he may the A-list coach that was referred to when "the leak" classified Hole as a B-lister. I'm taking Sumlin off the list as it appears we have "cooled" on him significantly (probably for the best). So, here are my final 7...

1. Gary Patterson
2. Brady Hoke
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Jerry Kill
5. Ken Niumatololo
6. Mike Stoops
7. Al Golden (only this low as I think he's the next PSU coach, in 2012 or 2013)

I can't believe that people even think Harbaugh would give us a second thought. Not that Minnesota is a bad destination, but we just aren't the spot for him. He was born and raised in the Stanford area and went to school at Michigan. If he's coaching college ball it is only going to be at one of those two places. PERIOD. If he leaves Stanford it will be for Michigan or Dallas.

I think he's more than a long shot too, but unless you personally know him, how do YOU know for sure that those are the only destinations he'd consider? You can't use logic to deduce someone's wants. Maybe the tiff with Michigan is real, maybe he loves the Big 10. On the surface, it seems you're probably right, I just don't get the absolute 100% fact quality to your post. How do you know he doesn't hate Jerry Jones?

The fact that Dan Mullen's name keeps recurring is off to me. I just don't see someone going from Mississippi State to Minnesota--they're in a better conference (sorry Big 10 backers, but it's true and has been for some time), have as good of a program, and have as good or better chance of success, bowls, and exposure than we do. I'd venture to say that MSU is closer to competing in New Years Bowls than we are and have a better chance at competing for championships than we do (although both programs are a longshot to reach that leave any time soon). He would seem a prime candidate for the FL job if-and-when Urban Meyer steps aside...again and permanently. I just don't see why he would want to leave that situation after two years. And if he did, and was successful, I can't see him staying here long-term. So I am not adding him to my list. Patterson remains as my gut tells me he may the A-list coach that was referred to when "the leak" classified Hole as a B-lister. I'm taking Sumlin off the list as it appears we have "cooled" on him significantly (probably for the best). So, here are my final 7...

1. Gary Patterson
2. Brady Hoke
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Jerry Kill
5. Ken Niumatololo
6. Mike Stoops
7. Al Golden (only this low as I think he's the next PSU coach, in 2012 or 2013)
The only reason that Mullen would leave is the most important one of all...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

1. Gary Patterson
2. Brady Hoke
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Jerry Kill
5. Ken Niumatololo
6. Mike Stoops

I know nothing about Mullen, but unless you are a southern boy, why the hell would you want to live in Mississippi instead of MN?

I know nothing about Mullen, but unless you are a southern boy, why the hell would you want to live in Mississippi instead of MN?

+1. Starkville is a hell hole. The quality of life in Minneapolis is about a million times better even taking into account our winter (their summer's are terrible). Also, MSU has much worse facilities; is a much lower profile university; must battle Ole Miss for in-state recruits; spends less on the program; and ultimately will have a harder time moving up in the SEC than Minnesota will in the Big10. Also, it doesn't hurt to double his salary.

With Boise's loss, Gary Patterson finds him self squarely in the BCS Title hunt. A loss by Oregon or Auburn and his TCU squad is likely eleveated to the Championship Game. Thus, his chances of talking with anyone about a different opportunity are slim-and-none. I am taking him off my list although I would love to be wrong on this one. My updated list of 6 is as follows:

1. Brady Hoke
2. Jerry Kill (72-3? Was that seriously the score his team just posted? Regardless of the competition that's an impressive W. When's the last time the Gophers won 72-3 against anybody?)
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Al Golden
5. Ken Niumatololo (don't see it happening so he'll likely be the next to be removed from the list)
6. Mike Stoops (don't see it happening but after last night's game, he may be looking at his situation and having all kinds of thoughts, some of which may be of the "maybe it's time" variety)

I noticed N Illinois finished unbeaten in conference and put up 71 on a directional school. Maybe Kill should be the guy.

1. Would happily take Patterson if he was interested.
2. While I wouldn't be thrilled, I wouldn't be disappointed
3. I would be stoked with Calhoun-#1 for me
4. Would be happy with this hire, though he's number 3 for me behind Mullen
5. NO
6. Oh, H-E-L-L no!!!
7. Lukewarm
8. See #5

U2G wrote that in response to this:
"1. Gary Patterson
2. Brady Hoke
3. Troy Calhoun
4. Ken Niumatololo
5. Jerry Kill
6. Kevin Sumlin
7. Mike Stoops
8. Al Golden"

Hahaah! Has he even posted since Kill was hired?

Top Bottom