Down goes #1 Gonzaga!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Undefeated no more, BYU with the upset win at Gonzaga.

Go Gophers!!

I will never be convinced until they win it.

I'll have them going down in the second, maybe the third round. We'll see how much they're overrated and how their bracket shakes out...nothing against 'em, but never a fan. They beat up on cupcakes year after year.

I will never be convinced until they win it.

I'm with you. They've constantly underachieved in comparison to their hype/seeds (in most years). They finally got to an Elite 8 a year or so ago, which is here Monson got them when he was there almost 20 years ago, and have had a number of 1, 2, 3, and 4 seeds under Few.

I'm with you. They've constantly underachieved in comparison to their hype/seeds (in most years). They finally got to an Elite 8 a year or so ago, which is here Monson got them when he was there almost 20 years ago, and have had a number of 1, 2, 3, and 4 seeds under Few.

The constant overseeding of Gonzaga is an annual tradition.
Were there maybe two years where they actually pulled an upset?

The constant overseeding of Gonzaga is an annual tradition.
Were there maybe two years where they actually pulled an upset?

Yup! In like 1999!

The whole Cinderella story gets old, they're not an underdog when they're a high seed.

Overdone on the contempt for the Zags. This loss may actually help them come tournament time as they know they are not invincible. Over performed or under performed history, this is the best team they have ever had. They are big and skilled. Not sure about quickness. Win or lose there won't be any balling at center court from their star player, either.

Well let's be honest. Hard to over rank a team that is undefeated. They did everything they needed to this year to deserve the #1 ranking. I don't think they will win it all in the end either, but at least give them credit for nearly finishing the season undefeated.

Overdone on the contempt for the Zags. This loss may actually help them come tournament time as they know they are not invincible. Over performed or under performed history, this is the best team they have ever had. They are big and skilled. Not sure about quickness. Win or lose there won't be any balling at center court from their star player, either.
Yep, haters gonna hate. Gonzaga is for real. And I bet most of the people ripping them in this thread haven't even watched a single game of theirs this year.

Yep, haters gonna hate. Gonzaga is for real. And I bet most of the people ripping them in this thread haven't even watched a single game of theirs this year.

Yup. I'm actually glad they lost. Unless they get a really bad draw I'm taking them to go to the Final 4.

said every gonzaga fan almost every year. prove it and that will shut the "haters" up. until then, monson is the man!!! and i watched last night and saw them lose to an unranked team at home.

If we end up with a 7 seed, I hope they are the 2.

I've watched about 22 seconds of Gonzaga basketball. About the same amount I watch every year.

The last couple years they've performed to seeding, but prior to that they have been an easy market for an early upset.

We'll see where they are in the bracket this year before I make any predictions.

I think I saw this is the third straight year in which Gonzaga has lost to BYU at home.

In 17 seasons of Mark Few they've over performed their seed in the NCAA tourney 5 times.
They've performed at seed 6 times.

They've performed worse than their seed 6 times.

To describe them as a tourney flop is inaccurate. They've never broken through. But a third of the time they overperform. A third they underperform. A third they perform.

On average they perform like they're seeded.

I have watched more than a few WCC games this year and in the past. The WCC top to bottom isn't near as competitive as the B1G, however, the "Zags play outside of conference is quite impressive and IMO, its what their ranking is based on more than anything.

One thing I notice about WCC games, those teams are not NEAR as physical as the B1G. Different type of teams out there. Gonzaga has proven however, they can play with anyone. I don't know if the rest of the conference could.

This is a very talented Gonzaga team.

Nigel Williams-Goss was a McDonalds All-American and All-Conference player in the PAC-12 before transferring.
Josh Perkins was a top 50 recruit
Jonathan Williams was a top 50 recruit and solid player at Missouri
Jordan Matthews was a very solid player at California before transferring
Zach Collins was a McDonalds All-American last year
Silas Melson was Oregon Player of the Year in HS
Karnowski and Killian Tillie were also very well regarded international players

This team could definitely be successful in a Power 5 Conference as many of their players already have been. Last night they looked like a team that was really playing tight and in the long run they might benefit from not having the pressure of entering the tournament undefeated. Overall the conference outside of St Mary's and BYU is typically pretty weak, but they really don't have much for options for conference changes due to their proximity and lack of football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom