Doug Woog Era About to Begin?

I wasn't a fan during Monson's tenure but I did look back on his rosters. Starting with his last year (the partial one) and looking at the years where hometown identification is available, I see the following numbers for players from Minnesota on the roster who received significant amounts of playing time:

2007: 7
2006: 7 (an 8th player from Minnesota played in only 9 games but averaged about 15 minutes a game)
2005: 4
2004: 6
2003: 7
2002: 6

Considering that, on average, only about 10 players at most receive significant playing time in a year, I would say Monson recruited heavily from Minnesota and certainly utilized those players. But Monson is considered a failure by the long time fans here and his overall record was slightly worse than Pitino's. So, those wanting a majority native team might be careful what they wish for.
Yeah but Monson was not a "Minnesota Dude", he also had head coaching experience. This is the first time we have hired someone with no HC experience, who was also a former player for Minnesota Monson, it will work this time just have faith.

I wasn't a fan during Monson's tenure but I did look back on his rosters. Starting with his last year (the partial one) and looking at the years where hometown identification is available, I see the following numbers for players from Minnesota on the roster who received significant amounts of playing time:

2006: 7 (an 8th player from Minnesota played in only 9 games but averaged about 15 minutes a game)

Considering that, on average, only about 10 players at most receive significant playing time in a year, I would say Monson recruited heavily from Minnesota and certainly utilized those players. But Monson is considered a failure by the long time fans here and his overall record was slightly worse than Pitino's. So, those wanting a majority native team might be careful what they wish for.
Some of the issue was the clean up from Haskins. Hard to recruiting nationally after that scandal.

Yeah but Monson was not a "Minnesota Dude", he also had head coaching experience. This is the first time we have hired someone with no HC experience, who was also a former player for Minnesota Monson, it will work this time just have faith.

The theme of my post had nothing to do with the hiring decision. It had to do with those who have a fervent desire for a predominately in-state roster. My data showed that has been done before and not that long ago. The results weren't so great.

There's definitely talent in this state (we can see that by the performances of some recent in-state recruits here and elsewhere) but people shouldn't get too carried away. These things can vary from year to year. The year Amir Coffey was a HS senior, he was the top rated recruit in the state but #2 was Michael Hurt. I looked around at other ranked players in the state from that year a couple of years after that recruiting year and they weren't doing much at their schools. Obviously the talent pool wasn't very deep at all that year.

Separate question than how good we would be: is there a D1 state program that actually HAS done this or successfully does this today?
I know some other posters have looked at this historically, but I don't know if we have a conclusive answer. For example, if say, Ohio produced 6 of the top 100 recruits on average nationally, and Ohio State was the "best" in the country at keeping kids home - does that mean they keep 4 of the 6 every year?

The theme of my post had nothing to do with the hiring decision. It had to do with those who have a fervent desire for a predominately in-state roster. My data showed that has been done before and not that long ago. The results weren't so great.

There's definitely talent in this state (we can see that by the performances of some recent in-state recruits here and elsewhere) but people shouldn't get too carried away. These things can vary from year to year. The year Amir Coffey was a HS senior, he was the top rated recruit in the state but #2 was Michael Hurt. I looked around at other ranked players in the state from that year a couple of years after that recruiting year and they weren't doing much at their schools. Obviously the talent pool wasn't very deep at all that year.
My apologies, hard not to conflate the two when the strongest message of the recent hire was recruiting MN.

Some of the issue was the clean up from Haskins. Hard to recruiting nationally after that scandal.

That's true but I wasn't criticizing Monson for not recruiting very well on a national level. What I was saying was, from a territorial recruiting standpoint, he should have made some posters around here giddy with joy and he did land probably the top in-state player of this century (the stories for Suggs and Chet are only in their early chapters). He also landed Rick Rickert who didn't have a NBA career but was a very highly ranked recruit. But, the results weren't anything to be too joyful about.

Last edited:

If someone is going to measure by only national titles they will rarely if ever feel great about the program. If we ever have a basketball coach that does half as well as Woog i would be thrilled.
1/2 as well is a .3315 winning percentage. Thought you’d have higher hopes

This is a truly excellent post. Best thing I’ve read on here in quite some time.

Good example of the quantity versus quality of recruits.
I posted this link in another thread, but it also fits here.
https://watchstadium.com/ranking-ev...-basketball-prospects-it-produces-06-24-2019/

It shows the states that produce the most top high school recruits and what school picks up the most top recruits from those states. 2015-2019. Minnesota ranks 23rd in producing the most top 100 recruits with only 7 player over 5 years. It also had none in the top 10, and 36 that were even ranked at all (about 7 players/yr).

Here is a table of the top 13 states. It is interesting that instate schools do get a majority of the top players from their state, just not the ones that are offered by the Blue Bloods (as shown by other data).
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.34.25 AM.png

Good example of the quantity versus quality of recruits.
I posted this link in another thread, but it also fits here.
https://watchstadium.com/ranking-ev...-basketball-prospects-it-produces-06-24-2019/

It shows the states that produce the most top high school recruits and what school picks up the most top recruits from those states. 2015-2019. Minnesota ranks 23rd in producing the most top 100 recruits with only 7 player over 5 years. It also had none in the top 10, and 36 that were even ranked at all (about 7 players/yr).

Here is a table of the top 13 states. It is interesting that instate schools do get a majority of the top players from their state, just not the ones that are offered by the Blue Bloods (as shown by other data).
View attachment 12249

Wow! Excellent find. Georgia and Virginia punch over their weights (VA of course has the DC area) while Illinois, PA, and NY punch below their weights on this dimension. I grew up in PA so that doesn't surprise me (much more of a football than basketball state) but I would have expected more from Illinois and certainly more from NY.

However, I do wonder if players are designated by the location of their high/prep schools rather than their hometowns. As we know, many of the top players these days are playing at prep schools that in many cases are not located in their homes states.

I think everyone missies the point that if this program is a winning program, many Minnesota kids will want to stay home.

this program has pretty much been irrelevant since Clem Haskins.
the formula is simple if Johnson can have a winning program he will be a great recruiter. He has no history, he has no track record raising the doubts about the viability of this program.

I think everyone missies the point that if this program is a winning program, many Minnesota kids will want to stay home.

this program has pretty much been irrelevant since Clem Haskins.
the formula is simple if Johnson can have a winning program he will be a great recruiter. He has no history, he has no track record raising the doubts about the viability of this program.
Winning cures all.

Top Bottom