Doug Gottleib is the worst

"He says 'The Gophers have played a soft schedule.'"

My guess is most people here wouldn't argue with that. I didn't hear Gottlieb make that statement, but I know Fran Fraschilla did in the studio, and I agree with Fraschilla 100%.

We're all sinners, FOT. By all appearances Gottlieb has overcome his youthful transgression at Notre Dame and become pretty darn successful in his field, if you ask me. Like GoGo said, I don't always agree with Gottlieb's opinions, but he's well informed on college basketball and does his homework, unlike a lot of the clowns on the network (ESPN) he works for.

Indeed but some of the Eddie Sutton sins may have rubbed off on him, too. I don't like the guy.

Pet peeves about announcers: (1) Chit -chat about what they ate, where they lived, teams that are not on the floor, how cold it is, etc. ( ie, Billy Packer's expressed love and mushy accolades for Duke regardless of the teams/conferences on the floor. Thank goodness he's gone. ) And announcers who think they are coaches (Gottleib) - telling what should be done. Obviously they are not making the big bucks for a reason...they couldn't make it as a coach. Too many are not prepared and just blab to hear their own voice...or to eliminate a golden silence. Mute them, I say!:p

True, but I think that Jay Bilas actually does a pretty good job with his analysis, and really is never too over the top.

I prefer honesty that I disagree with to blathering platitudes and cliches. Gottlieb's observations were honest, accurate and he speaks in complete sentences. The B10 is not an elite conference. As Gottlieb said, MSU can play with anyone in the country. Every other team in the league is a level or two below MSU.

That is a lie. OSU (with Lighty) can play with anyone in the country - I think they proved that against the likes of Miami, ND and Butler & they aren't a level or two below MSU. I guess Gottlieb puts no stock into a win over the school (ND) who kicked him out (despite the fact that ND has managed to beat Texas and Georgetown this season). The temporary loss of Lighty makes the difference between a Big Ten championship-caliber team and a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team.

That is a lie. OSU (with Lighty) can play with anyone in the country - I think they proved that against the likes of Miami, ND and Butler & they aren't a level or two below MSU. I guess Gottlieb puts no stock into a win over the school (ND) who kicked him out (despite the fact that ND has managed to beat Texas and Georgetown this season). The temporary loss of Lighty makes the difference between a Big Ten championship-caliber team and a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team.

While I know you miss Lighty, I'm not sure he's that big of a difference. He's a below average shooter, a terrible free throw shooter, an average ball handler and passer, a plus rebounder and a plus defender. He was averaging 9 points and 5 rebounds when he was injured. Good, but not great. He wasn't going to make any All Big Ten teams this season. It hurts your depth, etc., but if a guy like Lighty is what it was going to take for you to be a Big Ten championship caliber team, then you probably weren't Big Ten championship caliber to begin with. NCAA tourney team? Sure. Big Ten title team? Nope. At least, that's my amateur opinion.

When is he supposed to return, by the way?

Top Bottom