Doug Gottleib is the worst

Henry_78

Reaction score
Listening to this guy on ESPN was worst than listening to John Madden doing a Vikings game! And that is really bad. He says "The Big Ten is just an average conference." I guess that the Conference RPI does not matter. He says "The Gophers have played a soft schedule." Bah! They won on the road in the Big Ten. He was so negative about the conference, both the teams, the coaching strategies and everything. I muted the audio for 20 minutes of the first half. The only smart thing I heard was after Iowa got off a relatively poor shot to end the game, he said something like "I guess that's why Tubby is a three time national coach of the year and I am up here." I hope we don't have to listen to that clown again!

Yes, but I didn't get why someone heaving up an ill-advised shot was a tribute to Tubby Smith's coaching prowess!
I found myself thinking good things about the BTN, and Spencer Tollackson!

. . .because Gotflees said the Gophers should foul Iowa and make them shoot free throws instead of playing D. When the Iowa player chucked one from half court Gotflees recognized the D left few options

He has a CLEAR anti-Big 10 bias. That's been the case for several years. I loved his attempt to minimize your win against UL.

If he had said anything positive about either team he would have been committing malpractice.

I prefer honesty that I disagree with to blathering platitudes and cliches. Gottlieb's observations were honest, accurate and he speaks in complete sentences. The B10 is not an elite conference. As Gottlieb said, MSU can play with anyone in the country. Every other team in the league is a level or two below MSU.

Well, Jammer, at one point they waxed eloquent over Iowa's defense when we'd held them scoreless and had taken the lead. G may be better than our fledglings at BTN, but I'd hardly call it skilled.

Gottlieb - Thief, Thrown out of Notre Dame !

I hate listening to Dougie -

Quite a story behind him !

Originally from Orange, California, Gottlieb was the Orange County Player of the Year in 1995 for Tustin High School. Gottlieb was a high school All-American who played in the Magic's Roundball Classic following his senior year. Gottlieb was considered the "Best in the West" point guard, as rated by the Long Beach Press-Telegram. After signing a national letter of intent with Notre Dame, Gottlieb was the starting point guard for Notre Dame during the 1995-1996 college basketball season. He started all but four games for Notre Dame during that season. However during Gottlieb's freshman year at Notre Dame, he stole credit cards from a roommate and fraudulently charged over $900 to those cards. Subsequently, he was kicked off the Notre Dame basketball team and eventually convicted of misdemeanor fraud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb

One act of stupidity doesn't condemn him but I still can't stand him !

Nice shout out Barn ! :)

I hope you DVR'd the game.

Getting a shout out from Doug is laughable. It's like any credible announcer saying that they hate you and you are terrible.

That being said, I hope he comes to the Barn on the 22nd for the Purdue game. Maybe him and From The Barn can meet up and compare all their similarities.

That was some of the lowest energy in that building that I've ever seen from a Big Ten game. The Gophers were flat, the Hawkeyes were flat, the fans were flat, and the announcers were flatter than the state of Iowa. I'm not really sure what Gottlieb's purpose in announcing that game was, but he obviously didn't want to be there and he basically whined the whole game. I mean really, the game did suck, but he was whining way before the game got going.

I'd much rather see our games on BTN than have to listen to Gottlieb bash the teams the whole game.

Of course I didn't. If anyone did and can get me a copy of the game, I will be forever grateful.

Why would anyone possibly want a copy of that game? I'll get you a copy under one condition:

You become a fan of a school far far away from Minnesota and leave us alone.

I remember Doug going on and on last year after the Minnesota-Indiana game (Blake's buzzer beater) that Hoffarber was right handed. On and on about it. What a tool.

To go against the flow, I think Gottleib is a decent announcer. The Big Ten probably would have a tough time competing against the top teams in the ACC or Big East.

I enjoy announcers that say what they feel instead of just leafing through the media guides and throwing out the standard catch phrases. I'll take him over any BTN guy, all of whom are obligated to hype up the greatness of the conference regardless what they may see with their eyes.

He has a CLEAR anti-Big 10 bias. That's been the case for several years. I loved his attempt to minimize your win against UL.

Thanks. That cracked me up too. Selective journalism, ignore that finals were a part of that 10 day break and just say, Minnesota had 10 days off and Louisville played a Thursday game and a Saturday game. That might be a meaningful impact if it was a back and forth game and Louisville just wore out at the end but the last time it was a tie or Louisville led was at 11-11. I'm sure if it worked the other way Louisville would have been rusty from the time off and finals and Minnesota would have been prepared because they played two days prior. It might also help to remember that the NCAA tourney is played with one day off between games.

To go against the flow, I think Gottleib is a decent announcer.

I think Gottlieb's game knowledge is good but what I have a hard time with is he tries to take the anti-fan role and seems more like a Pat Reusse type columnist commentator than anything else. I just don't see that as necessary and really I find myself pissed off more than anything else. If that's the goal than I guess he's accomplishing it.

Sorry Barn - I did not DVR the game. Good to see you take the high road though with the other comments.

Hats off. :)

Well, Jammer, at one point they waxed eloquent over Iowa's defense when we'd held them scoreless and had taken the lead. G may be better than our fledglings at BTN, but I'd hardly call it skilled.

We scored 52 points.

I didn't say he was fantastic, just more honest and articulate than most of the ones we get.

Michigan beat UCLA AND Duke!! And he said the only team that can hang with anyone is MSU. What a freaking clown.

I'll take Doug Gottleib any day over the BTN announcers, or the Mike Patrick/Dick Vitale cheerleader types. I thought he was (for the most part) honest in his thoughts regarding the game. The Louisville remarks were stupid I agree.

Pitino

did not even use the "too tired" excuse when his team lost. Why would the broadcaster use it?

I didn't hear the Louisville comment, but I agree with freshtrout. Had some problems with some of the things Doug said last night, most notably making a back-handed compliment about Big 10 basketball by comparing it to Big 10 football (the inference was clear), but I prefer announcers that voice an opinion on occasion as opposed to ones that just sit there and gush (every game Vitale & Patrick do a game together I wonder if they're going to start making out).

Let's be honest. Other than to Gopher fans because we won, the game wasn't attractive. There's no way around that.

Regarding the BTN talent, they do have some excellent talent behind the mike, we probably just don't see enough of them. Wayne Larrivee and Gus Johnson are top-shelf play-by-play guys, and guys like Shon Morris and Gregory Kelser are knowledgable and engaging analysts.

Doug Gottlieb's Background

(clipped from Wiki on him)

College basketball career
Originally from Orange, California, Gottlieb was the Orange County Player of the Year in 1995 for Tustin High School. Gottlieb was a high school All-American who played in the Magic's Roundball Classic following his senior year. Gottlieb was considered the "Best in the West" point guard, as rated by the Long Beach Press-Telegram. After signing a national letter of intent with Notre Dame, Gottlieb was the starting point guard for Notre Dame during the 1995-1996 college basketball season. He started all but four games for Notre Dame during that season. However during Gottlieb's freshman year at Notre Dame, he stole credit cards from a roommate and fraudulently charged over $900 to those cards. Subsequently, he was kicked off the Notre Dame basketball team and eventually convicted of misdemeanor fraud.[1]

He then transferred to Golden West College, and, according to NCAA rules on college transfer, he was required to sit out the 1996-1997 season.[citation needed] Gottlieb received an AA in business and tranferred to Oklahoma State University. Gottlieb took over as point guard for an OSU team that was 17-15 two consecutive years and the team immediately returned to the NCAA tournament. Gottlieb was the 1998 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year and Oklahoma State went to three consecutive NCAA tournaments including the 2000 Elite Eight. Gottlieb was a member of Oklahoma State's basketball team from 1997-2000, leading the nation in assists as a junior after averaging 8.8 assists per game - .2 assists better than his senior season, when he ranked second in the nation with 8.6 assists per game. He currently ranks 10th all-time in NCAA career assists with 947.

Gottlieb graduated from OSU in 2000 with a bachelor's degree in marketing, and, at the time, he held every assist record at OSU and in the Big 12 conference.

I like Gottlieb. He is abrasive and opinionated, no doubt, but he has a high BB IQ. I may not agree with some of his opinions on the conference or the team, but at least there is some substance behind it.

I like people who actually know what they're talking about when they talk, unlike most of the crap we hear during games and on pre/post game shows. Not to mention the sh!t we get from local media.

We're all sinners, FOT. By all appearances Gottlieb has overcome his youthful transgression at Notre Dame and become pretty darn successful in his field, if you ask me. Like GoGo said, I don't always agree with Gottlieb's opinions, but he's well informed on college basketball and does his homework, unlike a lot of the clowns on the network (ESPN) he works for.

Top Bottom