Dooley to Tennessee

Bisker82

Death From Above
Reaction score
Tennessee hires Derek Dooley as head football coach. Dooley was at Louisiana Tech and served as both head coach & athletic director. Seems pretty young and very energetic; hope he does well after the disaster that was Lane, I like to talk out of both sides of my arse, Kiffin.;)

He also holds a law degree, which may come in handy.

Just read CFN's analysis of the hire. They use words like "disgrace", "yikes", "panic" etc. About the best they can say about him is that he is basically a promising young coaching prospect, but definitely not ready for prime time. In three years at LT he had a losing record and I think only one win over a team with a winning record. One writer said "Hang Down Your Head TOM DOOLEY" would have been a better choice. Yikes.

When I first read the healine Dooley to Tennessee, I thought why would Vince still be interested, or able to coach. He put Georgia on the Map. But then I put two and three together and its his son. At least he isn't dragging his dad into it to coach the defense.

La Tech's best two commits (D. Sanders and RobD Lewis) we were at one time after and Kissberth is visiting there this weekend. Maybe we 'cooled' on them or the other way around or maybe its grades but if they have other options these kids might look at them now. Sanders at least looks like a player and I'd love to get him.

Just read CFN's analysis of the hire. They use words like "disgrace", "yikes", "panic" etc. About the best they can say about him is that he is basically a promising young coaching prospect, but definitely not ready for prime time. In three years at LT he had a losing record and I think only one win over a team with a winning record. One writer said "Hang Down Your Head TOM DOOLEY" would have been a better choice. Yikes.

A friend of mine is a news reporter in Knoxville, and the situation down there is pretty toxic, but in general, it sounds like the boosters didn't take very long to get behind Dooley. He basically said in his news conference that he was the anti-Lane Kiffen, and got a standing ovation.

I would also remind you that Ara Parseghian was barely .500 at Northwestern before going to Notre Dame, and that seemed to work out pretty well, so let's see how it turns out.

As a side note, my news reporter friend sent me a text this morning that the story he's covering today is in regards to a push made by someone to name one of the city's waste-water treatment facilities after Lane Kiffen...

Dooley is a guy that I've had my eye on in the past year or so as I thought he would eventually end up in a decent BCS job in a few years. I'm definitely surprised to see him get a job like Tennessee so soon into his coaching career, though.

Top Bottom