Doogie: "There are a ton of tickets left for the Oregon State game"

Tickets are extremely cheap right now. You can get a ticket package for the Oregon St and Colorado St games for $55 per person.
Plus $10 per person for fees. By what standard is $260 extremely cheap for a family of four to get the worst seats in the stadium for two games?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but what exactly are we comparing it to?

I think Kaler wants a competitive programs across the board, but there is only so many things he can do. Minneapolis isn't an isolated college town where everything revolves around the school like every other program in the big ten. There a lot of powerful people in the Twin Cities who want to see our programs fail. Why do you think the media spends so much time running down J. Robinson based on much more than rumors from an anonymous source.
This is absurd conspiracy theory nonsense.

To answer your question, because the media has and always will flock to controversy like moths to a flame. I lived in Columbus during the Jim Tressel issues, and the Columbus media (in a town that is absolutely obsessed with the Buckeyes) covered it wall-to-wall (against a coach that was absolutely beloved). That's their job.

Plus $10 per person for fees. By what standard is $260 extremely cheap for a family of four to get the worst seats in the stadium for two games?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but what exactly are we comparing it to?

Major college and pro football. Unless you're NW or Purdue, you're not going to find much cheaper than that except in the secondary market.

This is absurd conspiracy theory nonsense.

To answer your question, because the media has and always will flock to controversy like moths to a flame. I lived in Columbus during the Jim Tressel issues, and the Columbus media (in a town that is absolutely obsessed with the Buckeyes) covered it wall-to-wall (against a coach that was absolutely beloved). That's their job.

Ok fake professor.

Major college and pro football. Unless you're NW or Purdue, you're not going to find much cheaper than that except in the secondary market.
Does Minnesota vs. Colorado State honestly qualify as major college football? There's a reason those tickets are relatively cheap as compared to, say, Iowa.

Ok fake professor.
Awesome go-to ad hominem when your argument fringes on lunacy. And I'm a prof; there are literally over a million of us in the U.S., so it's not really something worth lying about.

You should check out other college football ticket pricing.

Wait, the AD has 25.000 unsold tickets so a better deal might be available for the OR ST game and others
Interesting idea that the decrease in season ticket holders will mean a decrease in tickets available in the secondary market.
NE and some WI and IA fans wouid buy season tickets to guarantee a seat at their game with MN and sell the other tickets.
With the schedule this year that will not happen.
If there are 50,000 + seats and around 30,000 sold to season ticket holders and students what happens to the remaining 25,000 tickets?
Will there be a dump of tickets on Living Social, give aways at local high schools or what else?

Does Minnesota vs. Colorado State honestly qualify as major college football? There's a reason those tickets are relatively cheap as compared to, say, Iowa.

Minnesota does play in the Big Ten so, in my opinion, yes it is major college football.

I'm not really sure what the point is you're trying to make. I responded to someone who stated families can't afford to go to games because tickets are too expensive. Yeah not every family will be able to afford tickets but considering Gophers games can be an all day activity, I don't think those prices are too bad at all.

Here would be my standard..........just putting it in perspective as a season ticket holder. Not trying to spark a debate, criticize, condemn, or complain. Never been that way on the forum and have no plans of starting.

Our family (of 4) holds season tickets. Our total bill, when divided by 7 (number of home games) comes out to about $307.00 / game. This includes: tickets, chairback rental, parking pass, scholarship seating. When you mentioned you can get 8 tickets for 2 games for a total of $260.00, I personally think that is a very good deal. Only because I have our situation to reference it to.
Further, I purchased 4 tickets to MN @ Nebraska recently. 1 game (Away) + fees was $280.00.

In terms of worst seats comment............I have personally walked / "ventured" out to upper deck areas and can say, with a great deal of confidence, we have very good seats throughout the stadium in terms of viewing and sight lines.

Ski - U - Mah!
Buck

Wait, the AD has 25.000 unsold tickets so a better deal might be available for the OR ST game and others
Interesting idea that the decrease in season ticket holders will mean a decrease in tickets available in the secondary market.
NE and some WI and IA fans wouid buy season tickets to guarantee a seat at their game with MN and sell the other tickets.
With the schedule this year that will not happen.
If there are 50,000 + seats and around 30,000 sold to season ticket holders and students what happens to the remaining 25,000 tickets?
Will there be a dump of tickets on Living Social, give aways at local high schools or what else?

Who knows what they'll do but just dumping tickets to get a sell out or dropping prices dramatically is not always a good idea. Baseball teams have done this from time to time, massive price drops, and they've found it hard to get folks to to pay higher prices even after they start to win. Super low prices sets an expectation and the perceived value of the ticket and people become unwilling to buy tickets for for that dirt cheap.

Who knows what they'll do but just dumping tickets to get a sell out...

I don't think TCF would be sold out that night even if they had $10 tickets... Unfortunately Vikings preseason >>> Gophers football in this market.

I don't think TCF would be sold out that night even if they had $10 tickets... Unfortunately Vikings preseason >>> Gophers football in this market.

Yeah I agree with that. Particularly with a Thursday night game. I think folks assume that the relationship of price to demand is infinite on the low end, it's not. Selling to those who you CAN for the right price is a more complicated formula.

I've seen nothing out of their 3rd grade marketing department. Maybe they think they'll sell 20,000 tickets at the State Fair Gopher Booth.:confused:

why don't they reach out to season ticket holders and give them a cheap offer to purchase add'l single game tix?

why don't they reach out to season ticket holders and give them a cheap offer to purchase add'l single game tix?

I have an honest question even though it will probably come across as snarky. Are there many season ticket holders out there that think "damn, I wish I could get more tickets for our home games"? One of the reason I dropped my season tickets is that I grew tired of almost not being able to give the tickets away when I could not make the game.

Best idea in the thread so far. A recommendation that Gophers games are fun and a link for cheap tickets from a friend or family member would be 10x more effective than any advertisement.

I don't think it would fill the stadium and I'm not sure how many tickets would sell, but even if only 10% of season ticket holders referred a friend to buy two tickets that'd be an extra 4,000 tickets sold.

The math:

20,000 * 10% = 2,000 * 2 tickets = 4,000

I have an honest question even though it will probably come across as snarky. Are there many season ticket holders out there that think "damn, I wish I could get more tickets for our home games"? One of the reason I dropped my season tickets is that I grew tired of almost not being able to give the tickets away when I could not make the game.

Yes. I am one of them. I have 2 season tickets but I have four kids and 3 are of age that they enjoy going to Gopher games. Due to their football/volleyball schedules in the fall it isn't worth it to buy more season tickets but if I could get some cheaper single-game options I would take advantage.

If they're not right next to my seats I wouldn't want them.

I suspect a number of folks would feel that way.

If they're not right next to my seats I wouldn't want them.

I suspect a number of folks would feel that way.

That's fair and I can understand that, but the offer is the offer. But I feel like there would be a decent number that would purchase them and it would help (not fix) the image that the U doesn't give an F about the season ticket holders

That's fair and I can understand that, but the offer is the offer. But I feel like there would be a decent number that would purchase them and it would help (not fix) the image that the U doesn't give an F about the season ticket holders

Yeah probably something worth trying.

We'll see what the new AD rolls out. He made his first layup. Let's see what they do from here. They do need to find a way to get a system that engages with the ticket holders, but doing so in a way that matters is the hard part.

Yeah probably something worth trying.

We'll see what the new AD rolls out. He made his first layup. Let's see what they do from here. They do need to find a way to get a system that engages with the ticket holders, but doing so in a way that matters is the hard part.
A stroll through the tailgating lots around TCF would be a great first step. Mega tongue was nowhere to be seen. Engage the passioniate and shake some hands.

A stroll through the tailgating lots around TCF would be a great first step. Mega tongue was nowhere to be seen. Engage the passioniate and shake some hands.

It would be a start but they need some outreach that hits all the ticket holders somehow.

I don't want a passionate Mega Tongue shaking my hand.

I had the same problem. Pissed me off that I didn't go to the U but would ask people who did and they'd turn me down.

That said, my brother in law had the same issue with his Viking tickets, so I'm not sure it's a Gopher phenomenon as much as a season tickets thing. If you wait until the last minute it's tough.

Top Bottom