Doogie on 1500

North Country

Reaction score
Doogie is going over the list of candidates on 1500 right now. No new names out there with the exception of Mack from Xavier, but that's not what surprised me. Doogie keeps on talking about different openings/coaches at other programs and saying it's easier to win in such and such conference. I don't get that argument. Sure, it's easier to win in the Big 12 than the Big 10. Sure, USC has an easier conference schedule than Minnesota, does that make it a more desirable program? Really? I guess maybe I just assume that anybody who is a blossoming D-1 coach has enough self-confidence (and pride) that they think they can coach in the Big 10. Furthermore, the fact that it's the Big 10 should be a draw for an up-and-coming coach who wants to win at the highest level. Under Doogie's mindset, no self-respecting coach would take a football job opening in the SEC.

I get being iffy about going to a place with unrealistic expectations, but since when is coaching in one of the premiere conferences a knock against the job? I just don't get it.

I think any coach withany amount of confidence in his ability would want to coach against the best other coaches in your profession. The BIG has 5-6 very highly rated coaches and it would prove that you were a good to great coach if you could beat them regularly and recruit well against them.

It's Doogie, take it with a grain of salt. Doug Gottlieb (an actual basketball guy) had good things to say about this job on his national radio show today.

I take it as more of other things are pretty equal- pay, facilities, etc- then you may take a job in a different power conference where you can get more wins, since wins in power conferences mean tournament births, job security, etc. In that regard, if you viewed USC and MN as somewhat equal (just an example), you may give USC an edge since you can face less intense competition while you are establishing yourself, while still facing enough competition to (possibly) get bids.

I take it as more of other things are pretty equal- pay, facilities, etc- then you may take a job in a different power conference where you can get more wins, since wins in power conferences mean tournament births, job security, etc. In that regard, if you viewed USC and MN as somewhat equal (just an example), you may give USC an edge since you can face less intense competition while you are establishing yourself, while still facing enough competition to (possibly) get bids.

That's not true anymore. Ben Howland was canned coming off of a 13-5 season in conference, Tubby won 8 games in conference.

It might be easier to get wins at USC but it isn't any easier to make the tournament. USC went 9-9 this past season and they were considered an absolute disaster of a program. Tubby went 8-10 in conference and his firing has made some these pundits sick. We all follow it closely enough to understand that wins in a down conference aren't as valuable as wins in a difficult conference.

It's Doogie, take it with a grain of salt. Doug Gottlieb (an actual basketball guy) had good things to say about this job on his national radio show today.

Missed it. Any recap that you can recall?

That's not true anymore. Ben Howland was canned coming off of a 13-5 season in conference, Tubby won 8 games in conference.

It might be easier to get wins at USC but it isn't any easier to make the tournament. USC went 9-9 this past season and they were considered an absolute disaster of a program. Tubby went 8-10 in conference and his firing has made some these pundits sick. We all follow it closely enough to understand that wins in a down conference aren't as valuable as wins in a difficult conference.

Those are valid points. I would still think a coach might look at a place where he can go 9-9 while building as a a pro over a place that the transition might mean 6-12. But you're right on the bids. I would argue that the UCLA situation was more about their extremely high expectations rather than a trend, but still, valid example.

For what it's worth, I think MN is a better job than USC for a handful of reasons, but I can see a coach at least thinking that a cushier conf schedule would help with the rebuild. Once you get past the transition though, you're dead on with the value of the wins.

Surprised Doogie didn't mention Ben Jacobson, I think he has Villa 7 ties and Midwest ties. He's had success at UNI.

I personally think Gottlieb is one of the best basketball analysts there is today and always respect his opinion.

Do you have any details of what he said? Just curious.

As for Doogie, it would be just like him to diss the team and the coach while he was here, and now that he's gone talk out of the other side of his mouth as if the wrong thing was done. Didn't Tom Powers do the same thing? The TC sports media is such crap.

As for Doogie, it would be just like him to diss the team and the coach while he was here, and now that he's gone talk out of the other side of his mouth as if the wrong thing was done. Didn't Tom Powers do the same thing? The TC sports media is such crap.

That's the entire Twin Cities media, especially when it comes to the Gopher athletics. Do you remember how Mason was treated by the local media? He wasn't popular at all and after he was fired (to this day), he's a golden boy.

That's the entire Twin Cities media, especially when it comes to the Gopher athletics. Do you remember how Mason was treated by the local media? He wasn't popular at all and after he was fired (to this day), he's a golden boy.

You're quite the mouthful, Bob Loblaw. Do you have a law blog?

But yeah, I actually have noticed that about Mason. I think it's somewhat natural- there's no risk to speaking kindly of him, he can't lose games or anything... there's nothing to critique.

Bad mouthing Doogie is like criticizing a bathroom attendant.

It is pretty nauseating listening to Doogie suddenly come to the defense of a guy he bashed and had a weekly Tubby fired rumors on 1500.

Not wanting to come to the Big 10 for basketball is like not wanting to go to the SEC to coach football.

Doesn't make sense.

Don't forget, this is the same guy that was saying for years that Tubby was going to any job that suddenly came open.

Doogie seems to flip around a whole lot when comes to discussion about sports topics, especially related to Gopher basketball. Hard to tell what he really thinks and because of that, I never really trust anything he has to say.

It's a typical Minnesota defeatist attitude. How many times do you hear the media types saying something to the affect that "this is a terrible job, who in their right mind would want to coach, much less play here?" I'm sick of hearing that lame excuse. This is as good a place as any to coach and play, Big 10 Conference, major metropolitan area, first class University, what is the issue? I liked Teague's comments yesterday, that we have a LOT of things to sell about this job. I remember Trent Tucker a few years ago on KFAN saying something like, why WOULDN'T a recruit want to come here...it's got as much going for it as any other Big 10 school, maybe more. Get the right Coach, and things will fall into place, plain and simple.

Get the right Coach, and things will fall into place, plain and simple.

Let me start off by saying that I agree with you. But when I read your last thought, I couldn't help but think about the feeling I had the day the U announced the Tubby hire, which was exactly that.

Doogie is a legend in his own mind. What a complete jag...

Agree with this. Just listen to him. Acting bitter about being scooped is like blaming someone else for not doing your job. I can't believe Doogie is still on the air. When he comes on, people turn it off.

Top Bottom