Doogie: "No indication whatsoever that Tracy Claeys will lose his job."

Kaler is more likely to receive a commendation from the BOG for his handling of this matter than he is to be fired. So far the members of the U's faculty who have spoken publicly have been entirely supportive of Kaler's actions. They like how he is standing up for the integrity and academic mission of the U in the face of an Athletics Department that has had one embarrassing scandal after another for as long as most Minnesotan's can remember. And the local and national press coverage has been very favorable for Kaler and how he stood up to the player boycott by not compromising with them. It appears that the only real naysayers about Kaler are GopherHolers who are starting to look more and more like the diehards at Blue and White Illustrated who tolerate absolutely no dissent from their hero worship of Joe Parterno.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U professors criticize bowl boycott threat and Gophers coach

Four professors at the University of Minnesota with expertise on student or athletic conduct or general university policy on Tuesday condemned the bowl game boycott Gophers football players threatened last week.

Panelist Christopher Uggen, a professor of sociology and law who is also a member of the faculty consultative committee to the university administration, said, "We are not proud of the language of Coach Claeys."

By contrast, Uggen said that a lot of faculty were proud of the stance that University President Eric Kaler took in the controversy.

Kaler declined to rescind his suspension of 10 Gophers football players over allegations they were involved in a Sept. 2 sexual assault. Kaler encouraged the students to end the boycott, assuring them their appeals would be treated fairly.

Emily Hoover, a horticulture science professor and a faculty athletic representative, said Kaler did a "wonderful job."

Read more at: http://m.startribune.com/u-professo...at-and-gopher-coach/407636856/?section=sports

My opinion on Kaler doesn't matter. But Emily Hoover's butt-smooching opinion may matter even less if that's possible. The trough these little piggies feed from is going to be a lot more empty because this. I'm guessing those whose opinions matter will believe Kaler has not been an adequate steward of the institution's most valuable assets.

The only way I see Claeys getting the boot is if the recruit involved in the incident on 09/02/16 starts lawsuits. If his parents start filing lawsuits against Claeys, against the Football recruiting department, the director of recruiting, the recruit host and parents, the assitant football coach that put the recruit host and money in the recruit hosts hands, and the Athletic department, team members that may have served the recruit Alcohol. That is the part of the scandal besides what happened to the alleged victim that has the possibility of blowing up in the University's face. After the dude just got his scholarship offer pulled from Indiana, there probably is a whole lot of retribution that is coming to all party's involved.

If they end up firing Claey's over this potential liability situations, then Minnesota is going to end up paying a lot more than just football coaches salaries. This is the part where the tab will be run up, and there will likely be lawyers gearing up to serve that guy's parents.

The only way I see Claeys getting the boot is if the recruit involved in the incident on 09/02/16 starts lawsuits. If his parents start filing lawsuits against Claeys, against the Football recruiting department, the director of recruiting, the recruit host and parents, the assitant football coach that put the recruit host and money in the recruit hosts hands, and the Athletic department, team members that may have served the recruit Alcohol. That is the part of the scandal besides what happened to the alleged victim that has the possibility of blowing up in the University's face. After the dude just got his scholarship offer pulled from Indiana, there probably is a whole lot of retribution that is coming to all party's involved.

Has that ever happened? Can't find anything similar on the google.

Off topic...did find that Wisconsin recruit, Dominic Cizauskas, that was sent to prison after an assault on a recruiting visit (spent a year in jail and was at a community college in Kansas last year).

If they end up firing Claey's over this potential liability situations, then Minnesota is going to end up paying a lot more than just football coaches salaries. This is the part where the tab will be run up, and there will likely be lawyers gearing up to serve that guy's parents.

Did Indiana pull the scholarship? I saw two days ago he committed to IU via his twitter account. He announced it at a bar called "Dick's Wings", no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the recruit makes noise things will get interesting. Mostly because there is an easy statutory rape charge against the woman. The thing is, the recruit wants this to be over and forgotten as much as anyone. So I don't see any of that happening.

Kaler is more likely to receive a commendation from the BOG for his handling of this matter than he is to be fired. So far the members of the U's faculty who have spoken publicly have been entirely supportive of Kaler's actions. They like how he is standing up for the integrity and academic mission of the U in the face of an Athletics Department that has had one embarrassing scandal after another for as long as most Minnesotan's can remember. And the local and national press coverage has been very favorable for Kaler and how he stood up to the player boycott by not compromising with them. It appears that the only real naysayers about Kaler are GopherHolers who are starting to look more and more like the diehards at Blue and White Illustrated who tolerate absolutely no dissent from their hero worship of Joe Parterno.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U professors criticize bowl boycott threat and Gophers coach

Four professors at the University of Minnesota with expertise on student or athletic conduct or general university policy on Tuesday condemned the bowl game boycott Gophers football players threatened last week.

Panelist Christopher Uggen, a professor of sociology and law who is also a member of the faculty consultative committee to the university administration, said, "We are not proud of the language of Coach Claeys."

By contrast, Uggen said that a lot of faculty were proud of the stance that University President Eric Kaler took in the controversy.

Kaler declined to rescind his suspension of 10 Gophers football players over allegations they were involved in a Sept. 2 sexual assault. Kaler encouraged the students to end the boycott, assuring them their appeals would be treated fairly.

Emily Hoover, a horticulture science professor and a faculty athletic representative, said Kaler did a "wonderful job."

Read more at: http://m.startribune.com/u-professo...at-and-gopher-coach/407636856/?section=sports

Here's what the Chair of the Board of Regents said...

On Gophers players facing penalties without first having a hearing:

"When someone is suspended without hearing – and I think that’s the gist of why the football team decided to boycott; they felt there had been allegations without hearing. I’ve talked to [university President Eric Kaler] about this many times, that somehow we need to take a look at that notification hearing process. You know the old adage, ‘You’re innocent until proven guilty?’ I’m not sure that was true in this case. Their pictures are across the wide spectrum and people just assume they were guilty.”

http://www.startribune.com/regents-...-u-can-learn-from-football-boycott/407354266/

I don't think for sure or anything they will fire Claeys.

If the recruit makes noise things will get interesting. Mostly because there is an easy statutory rape charge against the woman. The thing is, the recruit wants this to be over and forgotten as much as anyone. So I don't see any of that happening.

My only opinion, is if the U try's to use something as just cause for termination of the head coach, it will be related to the head coach being a Supervisor, and then the recruits parents would start filing lawsuits, against the University, the coach and the athletic department.
Parents and the recruit may want the story to simmer down and go away, and avoid continued embarassment, but it may have gotten to the point where this story has impeded opportunity's for this individual. It may be to the point where all Division one programs, and even lower division one programs and schools, know the individual's name, and the trip and visit to Minnesota on 09/01/16 and the 09/02/16 incident.
They don't have to say they pulled the scholarship offer for that reason either, but they can avoid allowing this high school student from taking visits or offering a scholarship.

Top Bottom