Doogie: Latest on the coaching search

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Latest on the coaching search

• From talking to numerous people, it's becoming obvious that a current college head coach or former head coach (more Mike Bellotti than Leach) is the target.

• Where there's smoke, there's fire: Houston's Kevin Sumlin is clearly a name very much in the mix. His current assistant head coach, Tony Levine, is a former Gophers receiver. Sumlin was a Gophers assistant under Jim Wacker and Glen Mason (1993 to 1997).

• My colleague at Channel 5, Joe Schmit, says to keep an eye on Miami head coach Randy Shannon. He reportedly makes $1.4 million a year, so the "U" could offer more. He is said to not be a big fan of playing home games at Pro Player Stadium and reportedly received way too much backlash for his liking after a recent 28-point loss to archrival Florida State.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Scouting_the_opponent_Ohio_State102810

Go Gophers!!

• My colleague at Channel 5, Joe Schmit, says to keep an eye on Miami head coach Randy Shannon. He reportedly makes $1.4 million a year, so the "U" could offer more. He is said to not be a big fan of playing home games at Pro Player Stadium and reportedly received way too much backlash for his liking after a recent 28-point loss to archrival Florida State.

Do not like this quote. You lose by 28 to a rival, you deserve backlash. Doubly so when you have top-10 recruiting classes.

Not that it matters but it hasn't been Pro Player Stadium for about 5 years or 5 names ago. It is now Sun Life stadium formerly Land Shark/Dolphin/Dolphins/Pro Player/Joe Robbie/any others I missed. Not to question the accuracy of the source, but it looks bad when you make a point about how much he dislikes the stadium and you don't even get the name right.

I will say that they do it up better then MN ever did at the Dome. There is a lot of temporary 'U' items put up over stadium support beams, etc. that look like they take a lot of work. That said, no stadium that's 1/3 empty will have a great atmosphere.

Do not like this quote. You lose by 28 to a rival, you deserve backlash. Doubly so when you have top-10 recruiting classes.

Yeah.. This. Some of these sports guys suck when it comes to college ball. They need to stick with the weather or pro-sports, please.

A current head coach might bring his staff with him, while a former head coach would have to assemble a staff. You can do well either way, but an existing staff might hit the ground running.

Glad to hear that Bellotti is getting some consideration. Leach would be fine too but of the former head coaches I prefer Bellotti.

Not that it matters but it hasn't been Pro Player Stadium for about 5 years or 5 names ago. It is now Sun Life stadium formerly Land Shark/Dolphin/Dolphins/Pro Player/Joe Robbie/any others I missed. Not to question the accuracy of the source, but it looks bad when you make a point about how much he dislikes the stadium and you don't even get the name right.

I will say that they do it up better then MN ever did at the Dome. There is a lot of temporary 'U' items put up over stadium support beams, etc. that look like they take a lot of work. That said, no stadium that's 1/3 empty will have a great atmosphere.

Thanks... will change... was told to me as "Pro Player"... should've double-checked.

Yeah.. This. Some of these sports guys suck when it comes to college ball. They need to stick with the weather or pro-sports, please.
He's been at Miami since 2001. It's not like he just leaped into the college ranks.

vomit. I guess I need to write some emails.

• From talking to numerous people, it's becoming obvious that a current college head coach or former head coach (more Mike Bellotti than Leach) is the target.

• Where there's smoke, there's fire: Houston's Kevin Sumlin is clearly a name very much in the mix. His current assistant head coach, Tony Levine, is a former Gophers receiver. Sumlin was a Gophers assistant under Jim Wacker and Glen Mason (1993 to 1997).

Go Gophers!!

Isn't this a trend that they're trying to reverse in these parts?

I'm still not sure what Schmit mean with his Randy Shannon tweet. Is he hearing things inside the athletic department, or is it just a name he's throwing out there?

A name he is wisely throwing out there... doesn't mean the "U" has interest... Joe said it's a name to keep an eye on.

Thanks... will change... was told to me as "Pro Player"... should've double-checked.
Funny how quickly those things change. I think the company is still around, but not nearly as popular as they were in the mid 90s. As I recall, Pro Player and Apex were a rung below Starter jackets in the realm of ridiculously overpriced outerwear that you may or may not get shot over. I still feel bad that my parents dropped over $100 on one of those crappy coats. Now you can but Starter clothing at Walmart.

Why is that every time we're searching for a coach people suggest either unbelievably awful candidates (ie Trestman, Shannon) or ones who are completely unattainable like Harbaugh. I have a strong feeling this time around we'll end up with a far better coach than the nitwit sportswriters in this town think are 'realistic' while not quite meeting the expectations of some fans.

Why is that every time we're searching for a coach people suggest either unbelievably awful candidates (ie Trestman, Shannon) or ones who are completely unattainable like Harbaugh. I have a strong feeling this time around we'll end up with a far better coach than the nitwit sportswriters in this town think are 'realistic' while not quite meeting the expectations of some fans.
Why is Shannon such a bad candidate? He's not the best but not terrible either.

Why is Shannon such a bad candidate? He's not the best but not terrible either.

If you can't win at a school consistently and at a high level at a school with everything going for it like Miami, how can one expect him to succeed at a place where winning is significantly more challenging? That's why he's a terrible candidate.

If you can't win at a school consistently and at a high level at a school with everything going for it like Miami, how can one expect him to succeed at a place where winning is significantly more challenging? That's why he's a terrible candidate.
Yes Randy, take Larry Coker's ashes and mold them into a stallion. RIDE THAT STALLION TO THE BCS TITLE! DO IT NOW!

Combine Shannon's defensive coaching skills and Sumlin's offensive knowledge and you have a good coach. Unfortunately, neither appears competent at both.

Combine Shannon's defensive coaching skills and Sumlin's offensive knowledge and you have a good coach. Unfortunately, ""neither appears competent at both.""

In whose opinion?

I think singling out two games, one against a top 10 offense and the other against a top 25 offense, and calling it a day on Randy Shannon's defensive prowess is sensible. That's the kind of sample size we look for when making sensible evaluations.

I think singling out two games, one against a top 10 offense and the other against a top 25 offense, and calling it a day on Randy Shannon's defensive prowess is sensible. That's the kind of sample size we look for when making sensible evaluations.

They were the 2 game he lost & getting manhandled at home against what might turn out to be a barely above average FSU team should raise an eyebrow...

Gomer Pyle is on the "Short List."

Keep an eye on Nick Saban and Urban Meyer too then....

Sargeant Carter would also be hired as Gomer's OC?

1182874481_1.jpg

Where there's smoke, there's fire: Houston's Kevin Sumlin is clearly a name very much in the mix. His current assistant head coach, Tony Levine, is a former Gophers receiver. Sumlin was a Gophers assistant under Jim Wacker and Glen Mason (1993 to 1997).

Go Gophers!!

What's the smoke here? That's missing from this report. This implies that someone is hearing something from somewhere -- in fact, multiple places. I would be interested to know who they're hearing it from.

It's a saying... heard Sumlin's name from 3 people I trust in the last 10-days... also, his wife is from here, and her parents live here... don't discount that angle.

also, his wife is from here, and her parents live here... don't discount that angle.

You may be right, Doogie, but that "angle" makes me facepalm.

It would be fine if that was part of Sumlin's reason to consider us, but more and more I feel like those things are part of the U's reasons to consider a candidate. That is what makes me facepalm.

It would be fine if that was part of Sumlin's reason to consider us, but more and more I feel like those things are part of the U's reasons to consider a candidate. That is what makes me facepalm.

Agreed. I posted this earlier, but I think the only way that a MN connection should work for us is that it should make a previously unattainable coach (i.e. Tony Dungy) a possible candidate for the job.

In no way, shape or form should it make someone who is an inferior candidate (Trestman) more attractive.

I like Kevin Sumlin, regardless of an MN connection, well enough for him to be our next coach. He isn't my first choice, though, and I hope we knock on Harbaugh's door among other first before we settle for Sumlin.

Top Bottom